2018 Draft Day(s) Thread

NewAge

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

True. I didn't think the oline would be trash or anything, just don't know how good they'll be. 

Overall, I think this is a great surrounding for a QB to do well in. Here's the best part, we're still going to have one of or the highest cap space going into next season. If Darnold proves he's the guy, we can resign the guys that are worth it and bring in the FA playmakers on both sides. 

Sound familiar. lol.    BTW, Darnold is the MAN.>:(  I can't imagine if Darnold doesn't prove he's the guy for Jets. ugh!

1 hour ago, Bianconero said:

I mean, FWIW

After 3 years shouldn't you have good players instead of meddling competition?

Macc was forced to win now his first 2 years, thanks Woody. So I think that hurt things in terms of development of young players because they just didn't get the reps.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Macc was forced to win now his first 2 years, thanks Woody. So I think that hurt things in terms of development of young players because they just didn't get the reps.

That and he was forced to sign old as hell FA's with name recognition, as opposed to the youth he has spent money on this year.

6 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Sound familiar. lol.    BTW, Darnold is the MAN.>:(  I can't imagine if Darnold doesn't prove he's the guy for Jets. ugh!

lol I'm only saying this because I'll never rule out the chance of a rookie struggling in year one. I do feel good about him. 

EDIT: We never had the most cap space with a QB like Darnold. That's the difference. lol

For Fats, he was one of the highest graded run stoppers in this draft. Never had a year lower than 82 graded. Of course as a 6th round pick, he's going to have things to work on, but I see what he can become. Do I think he'll be a early starter? No, but if the other NT options don't improve the run defense, he's going to get his chance. 

21 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

They might not have valued Cooper or Pennel as much as we thought, also how much time does McClendon really have left on the team.... I'd say probably 1 more year.  They might be looking at more 4 man heavy fronts or just doing a lot more rotating to keep guys fresh.  Bowles did mention some of these guys giving Leo a rest, having the occasional rest might bring up Leo's pass rush efficiency.  Lets also not forget that we went from perennially being one of the better run D's in the league to being #24 last year.  

First thing the defense needs to establish is stopping the run to create more 2nd/Long and 3rd/Long. I want a stud pass rusher but  we have to stop the run if we're going to be a good/top 10 defense again.

2 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

That and he was forced to sign old as hell FA's with name recognition, as opposed to the youth he has spent money on this year.

Yup that's why I was not so harsh on him and Bowles because of the circumstances forced upon them. You could see last year the difference between two 5 win teams, one where guys played hard and the other where guys were thinking about themselves. 

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

Yup that's why I was not so harsh on him and Bowles because of the circumstances forced upon them. You could see last year the difference between two 5 win teams, one where guys played hard and the other where guys were thinking about themselves. 

I don’t feel like he should get commended for that though. He signed old vets bc no young guys wanted to come here. Hopefully adding a potential franchise QB helps entice FAs going forward. I feel like if we had a guy like Darnold already here AR15 would have signed here. But we didn’t. Problem is the FA WRs next year are all more than likely going to stay. Diggs is the only one that might hit the market. So if we upgrade at WR it has to be via trade or Draft and we have no 2nd next year.

So if you’re still following me... let’s say we can’t really upgrade at WR next year in FA and we decide to protect Darnold with a LT with our 1st Rounder (would be smart). We are still looking at not adding any kind of WR or RB help until the mid Rounds again. So giving Darnold help looks to maybe not be in the immediate plans maybe. The best thing for Macc to do would be pull off a trade for a good RB and WR somehow these next couple years along with addressing skill positions in the draft. Only way Darnold is successful throwing to Robby and Q for years is if he’s the next Brady. And the odds of that are slim. Get the guy skill around him.

Just now, rickyt31 said:

lol I'm only saying this because I'll never rule out the chance of a rookie struggling in year one. I do feel good about him. 

For Fats, he was one of the highest graded run stoppers in this draft. Never had a year lower than 82 graded. Of course as a 6th round pick, he's going to have things to work on, but I see what he can become. Do I think he'll be a early starter? No, but if the other NT options don't improve the run defense, he's going to get his chance. 

Fatuksi was successful as UT because he liked to go anywhere he wanted and didn't have to deal with tougher blockers. He used his body to bully lighter or weak blockers. Quit quickly if he couldn't beat blocker(s).  Bowles runs 2 gap scheme so I have hard time to believe in Fatuksi.   In order to get a playing time, he has to be on 53 squad first that is where I am standing.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t feel like he should get commended for that though. He signed old vets bc no young guys wanted to come here. Hopefully adding a potential franchise QB helps entice FAs going forward. I feel like if we had a guy like Darnold already here AR15 would have signed here. But we didn’t. Problem is the FA WRs next year are all more than likely going to stay. Diggs is the only one that might hit the market. So if we upgrade at WR it has to be via trade or Draft and we have no 2nd next year.

So if you’re still following me... let’s say we can’t really upgrade at WR next year in FA and we decide to protect Darnold with a LT with our 1st Rounder (would be smart). We are still looking at not adding any kind of WR or RB help until the mid Rounds again. So giving Darnold help looks to maybe not be in the immediate plans maybe. The best thing for Macc to do would be pull off a trade for a good RB and WR somehow these next couple years along with addressing skill positions in the draft. Only way Darnold is successful throwing to Robby and Q for years is if he’s the next Brady. And the odds of that are slim. Get the guy skill around him.

Extending Kelvin Beachum's contract would be smarter because that could give Jets a strong opportunity to draft WR in 1st round.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Look at the Final 5 teams that we left standing in the Playoffs(Eagles, Patriots, Vikings, Jaguars, Saints)

Outside of the Patriots you got strong defense, run game, efficient passing. Saints have Brees but other than that teams are successful building balanced, complementary units. 

We still have to see what we got in guys we brought in last year and this off-season. RB is almost an easy fix and the way our offense is going who ever is carrying the ball isn't as important as making sure they know how to find the hole and hit it fast.

Darnold is a rookie, we aren't going to build this up in year 1 or 2. But it does make me go back to my about still having those 2nd round picks but you guys didn't want to hear that.

2 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Bobby absolutely hates Robby and Q. You constantly write off the possibility that they could be legit starting caliber WRs going forward.

No im a realist.

Facts are Anderson is a headcase. And I have 0 faith in him cleaning up his off the field issues.

Enunwa is coming off major neck surgery. We can read he’s healed and looks great and everything. But fact is that means nothing until he starts getting hit. And he’s a huge risk with an injury like that.

Looking at the depth chart that @JetsandI posted, we don't have any egregious weaknesses. We really are not that far away from being a good team. On offense, we need to sure up the left side of the offensive line and get a number 1 WR. A scenario would be Diggs WR and a LT in the first. That offense is pretty solid. On defense, I think we already have a solid defense. This is the first time we've had a secondary since year 1 to play defense how Bowles likes. We had a top 10 defense that year. 

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Looking at the depth chart that @JetsandI posted, we don't have any egregious weaknesses. We really are not that far away from being a good team. On offense, we need to sure up the left side of the offensive line and get a number 1 WR. A scenario would be Diggs WR and a LT in the first. That offensive is pretty solid. On defense, I think we already have a solid defense. This is the first time we've had a secondary since year 1 to play defense how Bowles likes. We had a top 10 defense that year. 

I don't remember posting depth chart. Where?

Archived