2018 Draft Day(s) Thread

NewAge

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Darnold becomes a franchise QB... no one will care about hindsight or the picks we gave up.

Even if he doesn’t I doubt we’d care too much. This is a risk we had to take. Much like the Hack pick I’ll never be mad about our GM trying to find a QB. Can’t always wait for one to fall into your lap and you can’t always be scared to take a chance on a guy with upside.

We'll probably trade back in the first round next year and get another second. Then it's going to feel like we got our franchise QB for two 2nd round picks. If TB is healthy and looks good, we can trade him for another pick. 

38 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

We'll probably trade back in the first round next year and get another second. Then it's going to feel like we got our franchise QB for two 2nd round picks. If TB is healthy and looks good, we can trade him for another pick. 

I, for one, am not even going to factor in the SEA 2nd rounder either. We were ready to let Sheldon walk and get nothing for him. The fact that we got that 2nd and Kearse, to this day, is the best deal Macc has made. It enabled us to get our guy.

We could've got Rosen but who's to say Rosen and Darnold will play at the same level or Rosen will be better than Darnold?

what if there's a gap between those 2?

obviously for the Broncos, only 2 QBs were ahead of Chubb and that was Sam & Baker.

even Buffalo took Allen over Rosen and Cardinals tried to trade up for Allen first according to reports. So I'm pretty sure we knew Rosen was going to be there at 6. 

I know some here don't like that Albert Albright dude but he had mentioned prior to the draft that Rosen wasn't even on our board. Based on how he fell, I may actually think that was the case. He said our board for QBs were Sam, Baker then Allen.

Piecing things together, Baker's agent today said that their bottom line was 3 at the Jets. So they knew Jets were taking Baker if he fell. Then his agent said something about the Patriots told him it would be a surprise at 2 if he was there. So to a lot of teams, Baker was a top 3 pick.

Mac's interview on ESPN's "Get Up", he said they were surprised Sam fell and they didn't really think he'd be here. Thought he'd go 1 or 2 in most of their scenarios. So that could've explained the "Jets locked on Baker" talk.

Looks like it was set to be Sam, Barkley then Baker but instead it went flip & without the trade to 3, we possibly could've been looking at Josh Allen being a Jet. Let that sink in.

11 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

What if... the Jets picked Josh Allen over Josh Rosen? 

Only one person on this forum would be happy. 

Glad we got our guy. Plain and simple. Now they have to put him in the best scenario to succeed. 

Just now, ekill08x said:

Only one person on this forum would be happy. 

Glad we got our guy. Plain and simple. Now they have to put him in the best scenario to succeed. 

I know, but this assumption we could of just kept the 2nds and ended up with Rosen is absurd. We could of ended up with Allen. We could of ended up with nobody. The only 2 picks you can assure would of gone the same way were 1 and 2. Nothing is a certainty after that. 

If we took Allen I'd be upset, hes a boom or bust. But watching him in college, hes very inaccurate. You can't blame his teammates for him missing wideopen throws and not looking off safeties. Making someone accurate is hard to do. I see Allen as a under 60% thrower in the NFL, like he was in college. I see him having games where he throws multiple INTs often.

But man Allen does make some plays, hes talented AF but no thanks to  him. Rosen and Darnold are a much better chance at succeeding, I think those  2 are gonna be franchise QBs. People overrated Rosen's desire to succeed so much, my main concern is he had shoulder problems. If he stays healthy hes gonna be a stud for the Cardinals.  I love tall QBs, I hate short QBs. Guys like Mayfield you have to specifically design **** so that they can make plays, cause he won't see the middle of the field. Mayfield struggled vs teams that deployed NFL coverages. 

This draft is about Darnold, if hes the franchise QB we have been searching decades for then Maccagnan saved his job and looks like a genius for giving up what he gave up. Hes already looking pretty smart because he ended up with the top QB in the draft, the one we wanted to suck for. I haven't been this optimistic about the Jets future in a long time. It started with Jamal Adams last year, that was a culture changing pick at safety, that dude is the alpha male we needed on defense. 

Our draft was pretty good, I think Nathan Sheppard is gonna start right away for us on the DL, so that is a good pick at 3rd round.  I think Parry Nickerson and that other DL are gonna stick around as players, Nickerson was a absolute steal. Herndon might end up being our best TE, he fell due to a MCL tear which isn't as bad as a ACL. 

It's not about 2018, we aren't going to be good, its a process. But I am excited for Jets football again which is something I couldn't say last year , when I just couldn't get myself to pay for NFL sunday ticket to watch their games.  I am fine with another losing season, cause higher draft picks means chances to draft more studs to build a strong future to dominate this division as Brady and Belichick retire. If we get another top 10 pick we have a chance to grab a stud edge rusher that we desperately need or a stud #1 WR for Darnold. or OL help. 

Not getting Cousins is working out beautifully for us though, we get a QB 10 years younger with higher upside and more cost control for 5 years so that we can try to make a big splash next FA to build a team to win like the Eagles did around Wentz. 

So, in the end, the Jets netted Sam Darnold, Jermaine Kearse, and Henry Anderson for the cost of a first round pick, two second round picks, and a seventh round pick. 

The pick traded for Anderson was acquired in the Richardson deal. 

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I know, but this assumption we could of just kept the 2nds and ended up with Rosen is absurd. We could of ended up with Allen. We could of ended up with nobody. The only 2 picks you can assure would of gone the same way were 1 and 2. Nothing is a certainty after that. 

Your new avi is %#!&ing awesome...that is all haha 

On 5/1/2018 at 2:11 PM, NewAge said:

So, in the end, the Jets netted Sam Darnold, Jermaine Kearse, and Henry Anderson for the cost of a first round pick, two second round picks, and a seventh round pick. 

The pick traded for Anderson was acquired in the Richardson deal. 

Actually I think it is more like ... net Darnold, Kearse and Anderson for Richardson, 2018 2nd rounder and a 2019 2nd rounder.  

Archived