NFL Draft Day Thread - DTWD

.Buzz

Either way, if you dislike Bryan/the pick I get it. Just not sure I understand why this pick carries more risk than pretty much any other player in the draft. We aren't talking about a top 5 pick like normal, we're talking about the end of the 1st round where it's really hit or miss. I like Connor Williams and Dallas Goedert a lot, but there's no denying that they have issues and serious risk themselves (Goedert especially with the small school situation).

Who know's if he ends up being a good player for us or busting and off the team in a few years. But the guy, as far as value goes, was taken later than most had him pegged and the clips and talk about him are that the talent is immense if he can put it together. That's really all you can ask for with a draft pick, especially at pick 29. 

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Have you watched this kid?

Also, Alualu would have been pretty damn good if that injury wouldn't have happened. The Harvey comparison I don't really understand whatsoever. This guy has a constant motor and is very disruptive. Not like he's a blank canvas that needs loads and loads of work to bring any production.

Tyson is pretty much who this kid is, but Tyson had better technique coming in whereas Bryan is raw.  Bryan is bigger though. 

I think the problem I have is that this is a complete luxury pick. DL usually don't make impact their rookie years especially if they don't have the technique and can't just dominate physically like they did in college.  Not to mention he's going to be playing limited snaps.

I mean, you're not really taking any of our top 4 rushers on 3rd down (Yann, Malik, Calais, fowler) so he's just going to rotate in and get maybe 20 snaps?

Maybe I'd feel much different if I didn't think highly of Lamar. But I get this feeling that once again,  "fate" is throwing the Jaguars some bone (injuries to entire division last season, top 5 qb at pick 29) and here we are squandering it again because we're Jaguars.

I get why he's the pick,  i just feel like passing on a dynamic QB at 29 when we don't have a bonafide franchise QB much less a real backup is a thing a franchise regrets.

Go down the list of the best defensive tackles: suh, Donald, McCoy, casey, cox, atkins, etc.

Sure they are all impact players, elite even. and they dont take their teams to the playoffs until their team has that QB.

I hope to god Blake can take the next step.

54 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Tyson is pretty much who this kid is, but Tyson had better technique coming in whereas Bryan is raw.  Bryan is bigger though. 

I think the problem I have is that this is a complete luxury pick. DL usually don't make impact their rookie years especially if they don't have the technique and can't just dominate physically like they did in college.  Not to mention he's going to be playing limited snaps.

I mean, you're not really taking any of our top 4 rushers on 3rd down (Yann, Malik, Calais, fowler) so he's just going to rotate in and get maybe 20 snaps?

Maybe I'd feel much different if I didn't think highly of Lamar. But I get this feeling that once again,  "fate" is throwing the Jaguars some bone (injuries to entire division last season, top 5 qb at pick 29) and here we are squandering it again because we're Jaguars.

I get why he's the pick,  i just feel like passing on a dynamic QB at 29 when we don't have a bonafide franchise QB much less a real backup is a thing a franchise regrets.

Go down the list of the best defensive tackles: suh, Donald, McCoy, casey, cox, atkins, etc.

Sure they are all impact players, elite even. and they dont take their teams to the playoffs until their team has that QB.

QB I never thought was a viable selection at 29.. I just knew that the front office wouldn't pull the trigger because it would cause too much stir in the locker room and as soon as Blake started to flounder it was going to get bad in the city for Blake. My problem with this pick is that defense is the staple of this team and I get you have all these big name big money that you need to shed in 19' cool. But when you have the strength that you have on the defense this and considering how inept this offense was down the stretch where Fournette gained a total of like 5 yards on his last 4 carries of the season..

My thought process is build a line suitable enough to take over a game late. Even possibly giving this offense another weapon that can bail out a QB that is going into his 5th year that still can't carry a team on his back and lead you back from even a 4 point deficit but yet we go into18 with a sturdy defense, just to add a 3 tech with no skills, little to no production, and that will barely see the field in 18' unless they plan on cutting someone we don't know about.. this team can't afford to bank on upside.. this pick does not do anything for you in 18'.. Is the the Super Bowl window going to wait for this kid to develop and what if he doesn't develop?  Its to many what ifs for a first round pick now if they took a player to help on offense, and Bryan was there top of the second and he was a guy that they truly coveted than by all means move up and get the guy, as long as you have a plan for him but I would have preferred a guy that we could have seen significant playing time from this year. So while this kid gets minimal snaps this yr and the right side of your oline continues to be ehhhh you can rest easy knowing you have a 3 tech that is buried at the bottom of your rotation ready roll out fresh and new for 19' because he'll have minimal miles. Yippie!   

48 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Oh dude, me and KYDI have been hitting the table for Lamar since we got the draft thread open. That's who I was hoping for.

The whole luxury pick route is kind of frustrating for those of us that want immediate production, but this is the smart long-term move with a guy who has a chance to be a big time player down the line.

RG and TE could use upgrades/competition, but they aren't pressing,/musts to win this year. That's why we had no idea where we'd go and why TC and Caldwell said we have the luxury to go with our top player on the board because the lack of holes. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Huuuge difference in that we only had to trade up a few spots the last couple of years.

The only one we moved up by a lot I think was arob and that was much earlier when we had a lot more draft assets

Luke Joekel was a high measurable analytics guy that graded out to have similar numbers to Joe Thomas. We see how that worked out RAS scores aside high test scores doesn't mean that he is going to put it all together I didn't know this kid didn't start playing Dline until he got to college he played Oline his whole high school career ??‍♂️ this reads major project.

2 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Luke Joekel was a high measurable analytics guy that graded out to have similar numbers to Joe Thomas. We see how that worked out RAS scores aside high test scores doesn't mean that he is going to put it all together I didn't know this kid didn't start playing Dline until he got to college he played Oline his whole high school career ??‍♂️ this reads major project.

Watch the tape please. I'm begging you.

As for his RAS score, no one is saying he is going to be good because of it. It's because on tape the guy flashes with plays that most players can't do AND has high RAS scores/is a freak athletically. 

Archived