2018 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION

Thaiphoon

I heard and agreed with what you were saying with regards to this year (remember, this all started from my comment that Ioannidis might not be here in two years time), until we got here ...

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Also, if the argument is that we will only have 2 of those guys out there on nickel and we run that 60% of the time, I’d counter we likely didn’t run our base defense much because we didn’t have the NT to play it.  Now we do in spades.  Also, we got ran all over last year so I’d expect them to lean more towards heavier lineups to compensate.

Wouldn't that imply more Settle than Ioannidis? Payne is listed as 6'2", 311, Ioannidis is 6'3", 305, and Settle is 6'3" 329. If we're going solely on size, then perhaps Ioannidis bumps Allen (listed at 6'3", 288)? No, I'm not advocating that. Just taking the argument to a silly place.

Will Payne take over from Ioannidis day one? Probably not. However, if I were Ioannidis or his agent, I would think about an exit strategy sooner rather than later (perhaps discuss with the Redskins a trade option ... not demand one, but say hey if I/he isn't going to get some playing time, let's make a win-win deal here and find somewhere he can).

30 minutes ago, Woz said:

I heard and agreed with what you were saying with regards to this year (remember, this all started from my comment that Ioannidis might not be here in two years time), until we got here ...

Wouldn't that imply more Settle than Ioannidis? Payne is listed as 6'2", 311, Ioannidis is 6'3", 305, and Settle is 6'3" 329. If we're going solely on size, then perhaps Ioannidis bumps Allen (listed at 6'3", 288)? No, I'm not advocating that. Just taking the argument to a silly place.

Will Payne take over from Ioannidis day one? Probably not. However, if I were Ioannidis or his agent, I would think about an exit strategy sooner rather than later (perhaps discuss with the Redskins a trade option ... not demand one, but say hey if I/he isn't going to get some playing time, let's make a win-win deal here and find somewhere he can).

No, the comparison there is Ioannidis in vs a 3rd CB.  That’s what I meant by more beef.

17 hours ago, Woz said:

Kinda nice to have real quality depth that can rotate in throughout. All the more true for a team that that knows the injury bug so intimately.

I'd sure want Ioa to stick around. I would hope Ioa has the stones to not be intimidated by a couple of rookies, and eyeing the exit sign. Every year, play yo arse off, and you get nice outcomes regardless. A team you're on pays well to retain? or go to some other team later that pays well. 

I think we’re all just guessing when talking about %’s of snaps the DL will play. Until I see Settle make some impact plays I’m going to believe that he’s not going to see a lot of snaps even though he is 330 pounds - he may even be inactive most of the year. I think he’s going to be stuck behind Payne at NT and possibly behind a healthy Phil Taylor. 

Ioannidis has proven he’s a good interior DL. As HTTR said, he has to improve more on his run defense - particularly his pad level - but he’s proven to be a good interior pass rusher, as has Allen and Lanier.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:00 PM, oldman9er said:

Kinda nice to have real quality depth that can rotate in throughout. All the more true for a team that that knows the injury bug so intimately.

I'd sure want Ioa to stick around. I would hope Ioa has the stones to not be intimidated by a couple of rookies, and eyeing the exit sign. Every year, play yo arse off, and you get nice outcomes regardless. A team you're on pays well to retain? or go to some other team later that pays well. 

Again, I'm not arguing dumping Ioannidis right away. Like you said, having quality depth on the defensive line is a luxury the Redskins haven't had in years (decades?).

At the same time, I don't think it's unreasonable to look at the 2016 draft class and realize that Ioannidis A) is arguably the best potential free agent on the team from that class, and B) doesn't really have a long term position on this team due to two back-to-back first round picks. Furthermore, the best case is that Ioannidis looks SPECTACULAR this season, so as to increase his value on the trade market.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:00 PM, turtle28 said:

I think we’re all just guessing when talking about %’s of snaps the DL will play.

Well, yes, but these are not unreasonable assumptions.

Until I see Settle make some impact plays I’m going to believe that he’s not going to see a lot of snaps even though he is 330 pounds - he may even be inactive most of the year.

Also possible. At the same time, he fits a 3-4 NT unlike anyone the Redskins have other than Phil Taylor (more on him in a bit).

I think he’s going to be stuck behind Payne at NT

Was it you or someone else who pointed to the article that showed that while Payne at NT could work, it would mean not maximizing his talents?

and possibly behind a healthy Phil Taylor. 

Given that he hasn't played a down of football in three plus years, I think it safe to assume that seeing a "healthy Phil Taylor" in the regular season for the burgundy & gold is as likely seeing a unicorn.

Ioannidis has proven he’s a good interior DL. As HTTR said, he has to improve more on his run defense - particularly his pad level - but he’s proven to be a good interior pass rusher, as has Allen and Lanier.

I have never said that he isn't. In fact, the very point that he's a good interior DL means he has ... wait for it now ... trade value.

Starting DL:

RDE: Allen

NT: Payne

LDE: Ioannidis 

My guess is it stays that way for a while. Maybe even to their 30s depending on how much it costs to retain them all. In 2011 we paid Bowen, Carriker and Cofield. It’s not like we couldn’t afford to pay 3 DL if they’re worth it. 

I wonder how much Gruden will incorporate RPO into the offense this year, with Smith at QB and Guice at RB.  The more research I've done on how much better QB's perform off of play action vs non-play action, the more sense it makes to have that be a large staple of your offense.  Hell, RPO was the main reason Foles looked like a serviceable QB in the playoffs last year.  We'd be fools not to take advantage of it.

RPOs-NFL-2017-768x432.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Revisiting the 2015 draft...

One of only 2 teams to get an A (the other was the Vikings).

True NFL Draft Grades: 2015 Draft, Three Years Later

WASHINGTON

1 (5) Brandon Scherff, G, Iowa
2 (38) Preston Smith, OLB, Mississippi
3 (95) Matt Jones, RB, Florida
4 (105) Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke
4 (112) Arie Kouandijo, G, Alabama
5 (141) Martrell Spaight, LB, Arkansas
6 (181) Kyshoen Jarrett, FS, Virginia Tech
6 (182) Tevin Mitchel, DB, Arkansas
6 (187) Evan Spencer, WR, Ohio State
7 (222) Austin Reiter, C, USF

Nearly every member of this class was productive for the team at one stretch of the 2015 season or beyond. Preston Smith has had two eight-sack seasons in three years, while even Jones, who now plays for the Eagles, had 800 total yards and four touchdowns during his rookie season. Crowder was a Kirk Cousins favorite who logged almost 900 yards and seven touchdowns in 2016.

GRADE: A

54ac387da319d.image.jpg?resize=1200,1720

Adonis Alexander to apply for 2018 NFL Supplemental Draft

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000935414/article/adonis-alexander-to-apply-for-2018-nfl-supplemental-draft

Former Virginia Tech cornerback Adonis Alexander told me on Friday that he is applying for the 2018 NFL Supplemental Draft after being ruled academically ineligible for his senior year. NFL scouts say Alexander's size (6-foot-3, 207 pounds) and talent -- however raw -- should make him just the second player selected in the supplemental draft since Josh Gordon way back in 2012. And Alexander says he's ready to be a pro, despite non-football issues NFL teams will now dig into. He intends to hold a pro-day workout at the school in a few weeks, according to his agent, Andy Ross of SSG Football (a Virginia Tech alum), and take visits thereafter.

To be honest, I was shocked he didn't apply for the regular draft. Not because I thought he was going to go high, but because I thought this screw up might happen. Either way, dude has pretty elite size/speed. I would say throw a 7th out there.

On 5/29/2018 at 10:46 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Revisiting the 2015 draft...

One of only 2 teams to get an A (the other was the Vikings).

True NFL Draft Grades: 2015 Draft, Three Years Later

WASHINGTON

1 (5) Brandon Scherff, G, Iowa
2 (38) Preston Smith, OLB, Mississippi
3 (95) Matt Jones, RB, Florida
4 (105) Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke
4 (112) Arie Kouandijo, G, Alabama
5 (141) Martrell Spaight, LB, Arkansas
6 (181) Kyshoen Jarrett, FS, Virginia Tech
6 (182) Tevin Mitchel, DB, Arkansas
6 (187) Evan Spencer, WR, Ohio State
7 (222) Austin Reiter, C, USF

Nearly every member of this class was productive for the team at one stretch of the 2015 season or beyond. Preston Smith has had two eight-sack seasons in three years, while even Jones, who now plays for the Eagles, had 800 total yards and four touchdowns during his rookie season. Crowder was a Kirk Cousins favorite who logged almost 900 yards and seven touchdowns in 2016.

GRADE: A

54ac387da319d.image.jpg?resize=1200,1720

Define “nearly every member” of the draft class was productive?

The way I count it, 1/2 of our 2015 draft class has been productive, 3/10 gave us nothing and 3/5 of it didn’t work out for the long term.

We certainly hit on the top 2 picks, on Crowder and Jarrett but then he got injured and had to retire.  

Mitchell, Spencer and Reiter never played a down for us and Kouandjio barely has; we cut him last offseason to keep an UDFA rookie and only brought Kouandjio back off the Ravens practice squad because of all of our interior OL injuries.

Jones was hit or miss while he was here - mostly miss. Most of the forum never wanted him and he was cut last year. So, while Scot still sings Jones’ praises he is on his 3rd team in two years.

This seems like lazy analysis to me. If they actually put work into analyzing each pick the draft would be a B not an A IMO. 

On 6/4/2018 at 8:05 AM, MikeT14 said:

To be honest, I was shocked he didn't apply for the regular draft. Not because I thought he was going to go high, but because I thought this screw up might happen. Either way, dude has pretty elite size/speed. I would say throw a 7th out there.

I doubt we get him for a 7th in the supplemental draft, but if it’s possible, I’d love to.

If we want him, we’d probably have to give up a mid round pick for him.

Do you think he’s worth a 4th? It seems to me talent wise he is worth it so, I’d take the risk.

I’m wondering what you and @lavar703 think about that.

Archived