2018 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION

Thaiphoon

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think some times talented players simply need a change of scenery. If he could be had for a late round pick then why not? He’d add depth to our pass rush. He’s not here to replace starters. 

I’d rather see Anderson get reps this year. We need to evaluate him more. I understand you’re down on Anderson but just like with Murphy, we need to exhaust his chances at proving himself before we move on from him. Just a rookie season when he’s behind 3 vets means nothing in terms of evaluating what a player could become.

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Given Mknight’s history of being anti-Preston Smith how was anyone supposed to know that he didn’t want to trade for Ray to replace Smith?

I understand you didn’t, but those are two separate things.

I wanted to replace Preston Smith with a first round talent on a 4 year rookie deal, not swap him for a borderline bust on an expiring contract.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I wanted to replace Preston Smith with a first round talent on a 4 year rookie deal, not swap him for a borderline bust on an expiring contract.  

Fair enough but that’s entirely impossible for me to know. I can’t read minds, and certainly not from hundreds of miles away.

I think my problem with Nancy is I had very high expectations. I expected him to be much better, tougher, consistent and productive as a second round pick. He seems like a good guy, but he’s at best a medocre starter. No way he’s back after his rook deal unless it’s as a inexpensive contract. He has all the measurable but doesn’t seem to have the heart- the hardest thing to measure on a football prospect. I do think he has been misused- or would have been better used as a strong side DE in a 4/3 but then again he may not have been adequate or tough enough taking on a right tackle 

7 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

I think my problem with Nancy is I had very high expectations. I expected him to be much better, tougher, consistent and productive as a second round pick. He seems like a good guy, but he’s at best a medocre starter. No way he’s back after his rook deal unless it’s as a inexpensive contract. He has all the measurable but doesn’t seem to have the heart- the hardest thing to measure on a football prospect. I do think he has been misused- or would have been better used as a strong side DE in a 4/3 but then again he may not have been adequate or tough enough taking on a right tackle 

Interesting considering he’s been the team leader in pressures I believe two years in a row, and if not he’s close to Kerrigan in pressures.

Smith was inconsistent when he come into the league and out of shape, but he made some serious incredibly athletic plays last year for a man his size. 

He could certainly be a strong side 4-3 DE, but he’d have to put on some of the weight he’s lost since being drafted. 

He was clearly on a tear the first month of last season before the entire front 7 around him started falling apart - same with Kerrigan - you can’t expect two OLBs to dominate (eventhough as a tandem they led the league with a combined 21 sacks) when two of your best DL are hurt and your mike LB who makes all the calls gets hurt too.

We all know how different our front 7 was before and after Allen and Foster’s injuries yet, when you don’t like a player you ignore it.

I mean I guess you can and you always do but it’s an entirely unrealistic expectation. The sport we are talking about is football here - the ultimate team sport - if a player doesn’t have other good players around him he’s not going to be as affective as he could be because he’ll get more attention.

10 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

I think he’s a lot better than you and Knight give him credit for. We’ve had no NT whatsoever and until Allen got here our DE were scrubs. I’m willing to bet he has double digit sacks this year.

He and Kerrigans careers started off very similar so I don’t understand the constant trashing of Smith? He’s a second round pick that has 20 sacks in three years. Kerrigan had 4 more to start his career and he was the 16th overall pick. 

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think he’s a lot better than you and Knight give him credit for. We’ve had no NT whatsoever and until Allen got here our DE were scrubs. I’m willing to bet he has double digit sacks this year.

He and Kerrigans careers started off very similar so I don’t understand the constant trashing of Smith? He’s a second round pick that has 20 sacks in three years. Kerrigan had 4 more to start his career and he was the 16th overall pick. 

Think they would be wise to try extending his contract now? and what would be the max per yr or guaranteed? 

6 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Think they would be wise to try extending his contract now? and what would be the max per yr or guaranteed? 

I certainly would. He’s a talented pass rusher who’s only going to get better. If he hits double digit sacks and this defense takes a huge step with Payne then I think his price will skyrocket. 

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Well I could state one reason why but it’s against forum rules so I’ll leave that opinion alone but anyone can take an educated guess.

I’d also add that a player doesn’t have to get over 10 sacks to be good in my eyes. The sack and tackle for loss stats are two of the hardest stats to acquire in football just like interceptions. There are so many cases where pass rushers hit the qb as he’s throwing or had just let go of the ball, or the qb sees him and throws it away just before the pass rusher gets there that’s it’s staggering. That’s why pressures and qb hits are way way higher than sacks.

And on top of that competition matters. Playing ROLB most of the time and trying to beat the best pass blockers in the NFL is harder than playing LOLB and sometimes going against good pass blockers at RT but many times going against scrubs.

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Fair enough but that’s entirely impossible for me to know. I can’t read minds, and certainly not from hundreds of miles away.

I live in richmond I don’t think you’re hundreds of miles away 

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He piles those sacks up in 2 games per year and practically does nothing the rest of the season though.

2015 draftees who will become free agents after the season

• Brandon Scherff (5th year option picked up so not a free agent until March 2020)
  • Preston Smith
  • Matt Jones (released on Sep 2, 2017)
  • Jamison Crowder
  • Arie Kouandjio (released on Sep 2, 2017; signed on Baltimore's practice squad Sep 19, 2017; signed off Baltimore's practice squad to Washington's active roster Oct 28, 2017)
  • Martrell Spaight
  • Kyshoen Jarrett (suffered career ending nerve damage in rookie season)
  • Tevin Mitchel (waived Aug 5, 2015; picked up on waivers by Indianapolis, Aug 6, 2015)
  • Evan Spencer (waived Sep 5, 2015 (with injured mark), placed on IR; released Sep 9, 2015 with injury settlement)
  • Austin Reiter (released Sep 13, 2016; added to practice squad; signed off Washington's practice squad to Cleveland's active roster Sep 20, 2016)

Smith, Crowder, Kouandjio, and Spaight represent the most value to any team (including the Redskins) on the upcoming open market: 4th year players drafted in 2015. Now, Kouandjio has next to zero value (unless he somehow manages to win and keep the starting left guard job ... a massive long shot), so we can essentially ignore him.

Preston Smith, should he do well this season, would likely command the highest contract. Should he walk, he would likely net Washington a third round compensatory pick. If the Redskins are not going to pay him, then just let him go. They are going to need Ryan Anderson to show that he's at least replacement level quality (he hasn't even gotten there yet). Otherwise, they've got another gaping hole.

While it is risky since we have no idea how the rookie will fare, drafting Trey Quinn in theory allows Washington to let Crowder walk and probably get a decent value contract. Call it a 4th/5th round pick.

Martrell Spaight is probably going to be squeezed out just from a roster standpoint. He's not bad, but he hasn't really distinguished himself. He's probably 6th/7th round value.

Yes, I would plan on letting each of them walk away. Use the compensatory picks you gained from letting the 2014 class walk and backfill their holes with the picks (or use them as trade bait to move around the draft to get the guys to backfill them).

Likewise, I would re-sign Bashaud Breeland to a reasonable (call it 1.5M-2M) one year deal. Let him rehab his value as a player as well as benefit the team for 2018 (on the field) and 2020 (as a compensatory pick). Why they haven't offered him a deal back boggles my mind.

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

2015 draftees who will become free agents after the season

• Brandon Scherff (5th year option picked up so not a free agent until March 2020)
  • Preston Smith
  • Matt Jones (released on Sep 2, 2017)
  • Jamison Crowder
  • Arie Kouandjio (released on Sep 2, 2017; signed on Baltimore's practice squad Sep 19, 2017; signed off Baltimore's practice squad to Washington's active roster Oct 28, 2017)
  • Martrell Spaight
  • Kyshoen Jarrett (suffered career ending nerve damage in rookie season)
  • Tevin Mitchel (waived Aug 5, 2015; picked up on waivers by Indianapolis, Aug 6, 2015)
  • Evan Spencer (waived Sep 5, 2015 (with injured mark), placed on IR; released Sep 9, 2015 with injury settlement)
  • Austin Reiter (released Sep 13, 2016; added to practice squad; signed off Washington's practice squad to Cleveland's active roster Sep 20, 2016)

Smith, Crowder, Kouandjio, and Spaight represent the most value to any team (including the Redskins) on the upcoming open market: 4th year players drafted in 2015. Now, Kouandjio has next to zero value (unless he somehow manages to win and keep the starting left guard job ... a massive long shot), so we can essentially ignore him.

Preston Smith, should he do well this season, would likely command the highest contract. Should he walk, he would likely net Washington a third round compensatory pick. If the Redskins are not going to pay him, then just let him go. They are going to need Ryan Anderson to show that he's at least replacement level quality (he hasn't even gotten there yet). Otherwise, they've got another gaping hole.

While it is risky since we have no idea how the rookie will fare, drafting Trey Quinn in theory allows Washington to let Crowder walk and probably get a decent value contract. Call it a 4th/5th round pick.

Martrell Spaight is probably going to be squeezed out just from a roster standpoint. He's not bad, but he hasn't really distinguished himself. He's probably 6th/7th round value.

Yes, I would plan on letting each of them walk away. Use the compensatory picks you gained from letting the 2014 class walk and backfill their holes with the picks (or use them as trade bait to move around the draft to get the guys to backfill them).

Likewise, I would re-sign Bashaud Breeland to a reasonable (call it 1.5M-2M) one year deal. Let him rehab his value as a player as well as benefit the team for 2018 (on the field) and 2020 (as a compensatory pick). Why they haven't offered him a deal back boggles my mind.

I would retain Crowder, he’s a rare positive draft assessment from our front office.

Smith needs to show a lot this year to earn another contract imo.  You talk about Anderson replacing him but we both know that’s a farce.

the Redskins biggest need in the draft next year will be OLB.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I would retain Crowder, he’s a rare positive draft assessment from our front office.

Smith needs to show a lot this year to earn another contract imo.  You talk about Anderson replacing him but we both know that’s a farce.

the Redskins biggest need in the draft next year will be OLB.

And left guard.

As for Smith and Crowder, the front office needs to figure out exactly what the top end financial number for each gentleman is and then if they want to exceed that, thank them for their time and service to Washington. If you can lock them up now for relatively cheap, then do so.

Archived