2018 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION

Thaiphoon

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

We do have the 2nd most amount of money invested in the TE position though (after the Patriots).

Not for long. 1 more year.

They won't be paying Vernon 6 mil next year at age 35, and when they can save 5 mil in cap space. 

They won't be paying Reed 9.7 mil next yr.. unless he's very healthy and productive all year.. so save another 6 mil there.

If there's one team that should pay the most for talented TEs, it is an Alex Smith-led team. If both are gone in 2019, draft a rd 1-3 TE and sign a mid-tier TE for unimpressive money. Easy enough fix. 

56 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I haven’t bought a jersey in a long time and I’m trying to fight the urge to get a Guice Jersey. Might just have to pull the trigger but I’m terrified that will ruin his career lol

Don't make the selfish move! RESIST TEMPTATION !!!!!!    :P 

1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

They won't be paying Vernon 6 mil next year at age 35, and when they can save 5 mil in cap space. 

They won't be paying Reed 9.7 mil next yr.. unless he's very healthy and productive all year.. so save another 6 mil there.

If there's one team that should pay the most for talented TEs, it is an Alex Smith-led team. If both are gone in 2019, draft a rd 1-3 TE and sign a mid-tier TE for unimpressive money. Easy enough fix. 

I agree. And I like that we’re spending the least on WRs with Alex Smith as our QB. That’s a smart move. 

I was actually pleasantly surprised to look through each position on that list and see we’re only top 10 in spending on the TE and CB positions (maybe on LB too, I’m on my phone right now so I can’t check). We’re bottom 3 on DL, but some of that is because we’re a 3-4 team, but a lot of it is having so many DL on rookie contracts.

We have a pretty young team collectively, but it sucks that the players that are considered very good or elite on our team are 30, or close to it, like Norman, T Will, Kerrigan, and Reed will be 28 this season. The worst part is that our QB is gonna be 34.  We need to get younger at the premium positions. 

8 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I agree. And I like that we’re spending the least on WRs with Alex Smith as our QB. That’s a smart move. 

I was actually pleasantly surprised to look through each position on that list and see we’re only top 10 in spending on the TE and CB positions (maybe on LB too, I’m on my phone right now so I can’t check). We’re bottom 3 on DL, but some of that is because we’re a 3-4 team, but a lot of it is having so many DL on rookie contracts.

We have a pretty young team collectively, but it sucks that the players that are considered very good or elite on our team are 30, or close to it, like Norman, T Will, Kerrigan, and Reed will be 28 this season. The worst part is that our QB is gonna be 34.  We need to get younger at the premium positions. 

Try not to stress about the future 3+ years down the line.. it's unhealthy and futile. Look at it for the positives over this current 3 year run. Some players at important positions are savvy and experienced.. and in 2 years, you will get to drool over an excited young QBotF to develop. 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

You told me there’s wouldn’t be math! Or facts!!! Noooo lol xD

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

1. While we are spending the least on Wrs it’s because we have arguably our two best WRs on their rookie deals still. We did just give a FA wr $20 million in guarantees. I think we made a good signing, but still let’s not act like we haven’t invested in a WR heavily.

2. TE & CB will be totally different soon. Not only is Vernon Davis soon to be gone as oldman9er pointed out, but Norman isn’t only under contract until 2020 and they could cut him at anytime as his guarantee money is paid up. 

3. We have paid a lot at LB, which you should in a 3-4 D. Outside of having a stout NT, the LBs are the most important part of the 3-4.

4. The last paragraph is what I’ve been saying for two years. Thanks 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Try not to stress about the future 3+ years down the line.. it's unhealthy and futile. Look at it for the positives over this current 3 year run. Some players at important positions are savvy and experienced.. and in 2 years, you will get to drool over an excited young QBotF to develop. 

28 isn’t exactly 35. Out of Twill Reed Kerrigan and Norman I wouldn’t be surprised if only Kerrigan gets another deal. Norman eventually leaving to chase a Lombardi. Reed and Twill can’t stay healthy. Looks like steps to replace Trent have started anyway.

as far as QB I believe Smith is the best we’re going to do at the position short term. Yes the price was high but at least we know what we’re getting and he’s a much better option than Keenum, Bradford or Bridgewater. He’ll also from what we saw in KC (and San Fran I guess) be willing to bring a young guy along. That guy might be 2 years away. 

What I like is they are picking defensive players off of defenses that have been some of the most physical defenses the last 2 years. VT and Bama have a reputation for being sound and physical. I think all the guys bring something to the table and even just becoming more talented in depth along with adding talent to the starters is very important because the injuy bud we always seem to suffer from.

The Redskins got a stud NT, a guy who could end up being the best back in this draft and quite a few damn good players to round it out. There is no way in hell this is a C- draft and it speaks to everyone and their mother suddenly being labeled a draft expert. I’m looking at you clown shoes Matt Miller. 

Archived