2018 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION

Thaiphoon

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The bias against Redskins from the talking heads is alive and well.

I don't know about that. Results of our snap poll:

• A: 4
  • A-: 10
  • B+: 14
  • B: 4
  • B-: 2
  • C+: 1
  • F: 1 (don't ever change, @Jeezy Fanatic)

If you consider that this is a Redskins forum and that means we're somewhat biased (call it a grade step up), we're not that far off from the "experts" composite score. If I knew how they scored it (@oldman9er, you wouldn't happen to have the scoring system, would you?), I would see where we ended up relative the experts.

It was a good draft. Not an earth shattering one, not a horrific one. A nice solid draft.

Overall, I kind of agree with the aggregate: Giants had a SPECTACULAR draft (only thing that I might have done differently would have been to take Chubb over Barkley due to positional value), Philly and us had good ones, and Dallas had a meh-to-poor draft.

41 minutes ago, Woz said:

I don't know about that. Results of our snap poll:

• A: 4
  • A-: 10
  • B+: 14
  • B: 4
  • B-: 2
  • C+: 1
  • F: 1 (don't ever change, @Jeezy Fanatic)

If you consider that this is a Redskins forum and that means we're somewhat biased (call it a grade step up), we're not that far off from the "experts" composite score. If I knew how they scored it (@oldman9er, you wouldn't happen to have the scoring system, would you?), I would see where we ended up relative the experts.

It was a good draft. Not an earth shattering one, not a horrific one. A nice solid draft.

Overall, I kind of agree with the aggregate: Giants had a SPECTACULAR draft (only thing that I might have done differently would have been to take Chubb over Barkley due to positional value), Philly and us had good ones, and Dallas had a meh-to-poor draft.

I’d say the forum and most Redskins fans believe we had a an A- or B+ Grade. The talking heads had us averaged out as a B.

I think our last two drafts have been A-/B+ drafts.

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The Redskins got a stud NT, a guy who could end up being the best back in this draft and quite a few damn good players to round it out. There is no way in hell this is a C- draft and it speaks to everyone and their mother suddenly being labeled a draft expert. I’m looking at you clown shoes Matt Miller. 

Matt Miller (Bleacher Report) basically works for what amounts to be a tabloid on sports, same with Mike Florio and Pro Football Talk.

There’s a lot of opinions they throw out there and not as much straight facts.

I voted B, because felt round 1 though a good pick was a bit of a reach so a B. Rd 2 was a Home Run -A+!  Round 3 Shaky pick from all I read so C. Rd 4 , consensus reach C . Round 5 Excellent value A-, Round 6 really tough to grade, smallish inside injured backer with talent- B, Round 7 combined seem to be good picks too , B again ..

Seems to me it all equals a sold ..B

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d say the forum and most Redskins fans believe we had a an A- or B+ Grade. The talking heads had us averaged out as a B.

And if you adjust one spot for burgundy & gold bias, it's a B+/B. It's not that far off.

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We don't have much left of the 2016 draft:

• 1.21 (21) -> traded to Houston in draft (for 22 and 2017 6th (2017 6.25 (209) = WR Robert Davis))
  • 1.22 (22) WR Josh Doctson
  • 2.22 (53) S Su'a Cravens -> traded to Denver in 2018
  • 3.21 (84) CB Kendall Fuller -> traded to Kansas City in 2018
  • 4.22 (120) -> traded to New Orleans in draft (for 152 and 2017 5th (2017 5.10 (154) = TE Jeremy Sprinkle))
  • 5.13 (152) DT Matt Ioannidis
  • 5.19 (158) -> traded to NY Jets in draft (for 2017 4th (2017 4.07 (114) = RB Samaje Perine))
  • 6.12 (187) QB Nate Sudfeld -> waived Sep 2, 2017
  • 6.22 (197) -> traded to Tampa Bay in 2015 (for 232 and S Dashon Goldson -> released Mar 7, 2016)
  • 7.11 (232) ILB Steven Daniels -> waived May 2, 2017
  • 7.21 (242) RB Keith Marshall

If I were Marshall, I would be leasing month-to-month, and to be honest, I wouldn't be getting a mortgage if I were Ioannidis (given that the team has used two 1st round consecutive picks at my position group). Yes, I think Ioannidis makes the roster and gets playing time this year. I would also assume he's either traded or a free agent walk away after the 2019 season.

33 minutes ago, Woz said:

We don't have much left of the 2016 draft:

• 1.21 (21) -> traded to Houston in draft (for 22 and 2017 6th (2017 6.25 (209) = WR Robert Davis))
  • 1.22 (22) WR Josh Doctson
  • 2.22 (53) S Su'a Cravens -> traded to Denver in 2018
  • 3.21 (84) CB Kendall Fuller -> traded to Kansas City in 2018
  • 4.22 (120) -> traded to New Orleans in draft (for 152 and 2017 5th (2017 5.10 (154) = TE Jeremy Sprinkle))
  • 5.13 (152) DT Matt Ioannidis
  • 5.19 (158) -> traded to NY Jets in draft (for 2017 4th (2017 4.07 (114) = RB Samaje Perine))
  • 6.12 (187) QB Nate Sudfeld -> waived Sep 2, 2017
  • 6.22 (197) -> traded to Tampa Bay in 2015 (for 232 and S Dashon Goldson -> released Mar 7, 2016)
  • 7.11 (232) ILB Steven Daniels -> waived May 2, 2017
  • 7.21 (242) RB Keith Marshall

If I were Marshall, I would be leasing month-to-month, and to be honest, I wouldn't be getting a mortgage if I were Ioannidis (given that the team has used two 1st round consecutive picks at my position group). Yes, I think Ioannidis makes the roster and gets playing time this year. I would also assume he's either traded or a free agent walk away after the 2019 season.

I meant 2017 & 18. 2016 was on McCloughan.

Why do you assume that Ioannidis won’t get a 2nd contract? I think they’ll keep him as well as Allen & Payne on 2nd contracts if they all play well.

34 minutes ago, Woz said:

1.22 (22) WR Josh Doctson

He's slated to start, good pick.  

34 minutes ago, Woz said:

2.22 (53) S Su'a Cravens -> traded to Denver in 2018

Pretty terrible pick knowing what we know now.  I still don't think the guy is fast enough to play Safety in the NFL, and he apparently whines about playing LBer.  I expect him to be completely out of the league in a year or two.  

35 minutes ago, Woz said:

3.21 (84) CB Kendall Fuller -> traded to Kansas City in 2018

He was a good pick.  He would have started for us this year.  Just because we traded him doesn't make him a bad pick.  

36 minutes ago, Woz said:

5.13 (152) DT Matt Ioannidis

Great pick in the 5th.  Solid starter.  

37 minutes ago, Woz said:

6.12 (187) QB Nate Sudfeld -> waived Sep 2, 2017

Oh well.  Dude was a 6th round pick.  

37 minutes ago, Woz said:

7.11 (232) ILB Steven Daniels -> waived May 2, 2017

Oh well.  Dude was a 7th round pick.  

38 minutes ago, Woz said:

7.21 (242) RB Keith Marshall

Can't seem to stay healthy.  

We landed 3 solid starters in this draft.  That is a successful draft.  

38 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He's slated to start, good pick.  

Pretty terrible pick knowing what we know now.  I still don't think the guy is fast enough to play Safety in the NFL, and he apparently whines about playing LBer.  I expect him to be completely out of the league in a year or two.  

He was a good pick.  He would have started for us this year.  Just because we traded him doesn't make him a bad pick.  

Great pick in the 5th.  Solid starter.  

Oh well.  Dude was a 6th round pick.  

Oh well.  Dude was a 7th round pick.  

Can't seem to stay healthy.  

As long as Doctson lives up to his potential and what we all think he can be, it’ll he considered a good draft. Like most drafts, it mostly falls on the first two picks working out, but in this case Fuller did and Ioannidis has too.

1 minute ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Last I checked Nate Sudfield led the Eagles to a Super Bowl, something pretty boy Alex Smith has never accomplished.

? Well, Doug Williams did say if he had been in the 2017 draft that he would’ve been a 2nd round pick. And I’m sure Mike McCarthy would say the same seeing as he thinks Kizer would’ve been a 1st round pick in the 2018 draft.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Why do you assume that Ioannidis won’t get a 2nd contract? I think they’ll keep him as well as Allen & Payne on 2nd contracts if they all play well.

They also took Settle. If they're serious about running a 3-4, they now have a reasonable three man front: Payne - Settle - Allen. Ioannidis doesn't fit there. If they are going to move to a four man front: Kerrigan - Allen - Payne/Settle - Smith (for now). Ioannidis doesn't fit there either.

It's not because the Redskins won't want to keep him. It's that he'll want playing time and the moves they've made make it hard for him to get it here.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

In terms of picks, yes. In terms of value to the franchise, not so much.

Archived