The Cussing Thread (Coming down from a bad draft pick thread)

Reginaldm9

8 hours ago, Mind Character said:

He won't be as good as Darnold if their both healthy.... but Baker can be a good player if we run a McVay rams offense heavy with RPOs....

It was a colossal mistake, but the good news is the team surrounding the QB is better... so Baker won't have to put the team on his back...

I get it, but you say it like it's a sure thing. We're basing the belief of Darnold being better on sheer upside. RIGHT NOW, Mayfield is better. It's up to the Jets to develop Darnold into something better.

Does Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers command a huddle?

This Baker-ism is ridiculous... the idea that Sam Darnold can't command a huddle or can't talk is laughable...

People are worshiping Baker and undervaluing the competitive fire, drive, leadership, and quarterbacking skill of Darnold...

It's this type of rationalization of Baker that pisses me off even more with the passing of Darnold.

Darnold is the better Quarterback, has a winning temperament, is a different type of leader than Baker...

The idea that everyone is so smitten with the Baker pick and don't for a second realize that we passed on Darnold and Rosen is one of the most ridiculous things I've witnessed in Browns fandom psychosis in my entire life...

12 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Joe Montana was way too calm, cool, and collected to ever command a huddle as well.

This Baker-ism is ridiculous... the idea that Sam Darnold can't command a huddle or can't talk is laughable...

Yeah, people want to make it a one or the other thing. It could potentially be both.

People are worshiping Baker and undervaluing the competitive fire, drive, leadership, and quarterbacking skill of Darnold...

Those that did before the selection I would agree with you 100% on.

It's this type of rationalization of Baker that pisses me off even more with the passing of Darnold.

Darnold is the better Quarterback, has a winning temperament, is a different type of leader than Baker...

The idea that everyone is so smitten with the Baker pick and don't for a second realize that we passed on Darnold and Rosen is one of the most ridiculous things I've witnessed in Browns fandom psychosis in my entire life...

I think at this point it's more or less about getting on board. This is who they've drafted, so it's pointless to resist at this point.

13 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I get it, but you say it like it's a sure thing. We're basing the belief of Darnold being better on sheer upside. RIGHT NOW, Mayfield is better. It's up to the Jets to develop Darnold into something better.

I couldn't disagree more with the idea that Baker is better now and Darnold is just a projection... as I firmly believe it's a fallacy to say Baker's not better right now than Sam Darnold right now (he's definitely has better stats though). .

The majority of GM and scouting assessment and evaluation agrees with my belief that RIGHT NOW Darnold is better at Quarterbacking based on

On 4/19/2018 at 11:01 AM, Mind Character said:

Darnold is better than Mayfield at the rare skills it takes to have success at Quarterbacking in the NFL... anticipation throwing, instinctual awareness and field vision, efficiency processing full field reads, off platform creation with pinpoint accuracy, big game poise, fourth quarter clutch factor, pocket athleticism and blitz avoidance, and pocket poise...

Darnold being better than Mayfield has nothing to do with his height or off the field stuff...that stuff just makes the choice of whose best even clearer.

If you still think Mayfield's limitations are height and off the field based.....you haven't studied the QBs intently and have missed a ton...

On 4/19/2018 at 7:52 PM, Mind Character said:

traditional scouting analysis of Quarterbacking play.

There's a reason Darnold is the consensus number 1 QB according to GMs polled by Charlie Casserly... Casserly himself, former scouts... some of it is foolish/stupid bias like "he's too short... he's too small... too this.. too that etc" but for the vast majority of the scouting community has Darnold over Baker for football specific reasons not due to bias or incorrect evaluation.

It's because you don't select a quarterback based on boxscores or stats per se... you select them based on their play on tape..

In general consensus to the vast majority of expert scout opinion that Darnold excels over Mayfield with what I said earlier ".... the rare skills it takes to have success at Quarterbacking in the NFL... anticipation throwing, instinctual awareness and field vision, efficiency processing full field reads, off platform creation with pinpoint accuracy, big game poise, fourth quarter clutch factor, pocket athleticism and blitz avoidance, and pocket poise...

Darnold being better than Mayfield has nothing to do with his height or off the field stuff...that stuff just makes the choice of whose best even clearer."

Big game poise and clutch factor is assessed by watching a QB perform in the 2minute, 4minute drill... watching can they rally a team back from a deficit...on 3rd and long or 3rd down in 4th quarter when the team needs to convert no matter what do they make unbelievable plays that utilize the rare traits of elite QB play.. how do they perform on a final drive to put the game away...when they're backed up on the goal line and have to go 98 plus yards to score it to win or tie..

I've watch all of Baker and Sam's games in college...  I have no reason to prefer one over the other.

There's late game and big game elite Quarterbacking... sometimes they overlap..

Here's some of the games that he made big plays and displayed such late game poise/big game poise over the course of career (for Baker over the last 2 years there are 4 clear games like that as Oklahoma won it running away in most games)

Evidence in 2016: Washington, Penn State, Colorado, Utah (Loss but made huge plays at the end but defense gave up a score at the end)

Evidence in 2017: Utah, Texas (huge game ending drive and series before), Washington State (loss but drove late in a comeback effort to put team ahead defense gave up final point), Stanford 2, Cal, Colorado, Arizona (huge late game plays swung momentum and big margin late), Stanford 2

--------------------------

The pocket duress was different for the 2 as well... as in Baker got hit 6 times vs OSU but Sam Darnold got hit 27... a lot of factors that only QB charting and film study make clear.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:12 PM, Mind Character said:

But can Baker be where Darnold is now in 2 years?....Baker is not ahead of Darnold at the rare skills of Quarterbacking needed in the NFL (anticipation within the pocket, pocket poise, blitz avoidance, clutch factor, pinpoint accuracy off platform)

3 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

As someone who was hoping for better for CLE they def ****ed up picking Manziel 2.0 and not taking Chubb. Not selecting Barkley was a huge mistake. 

Dude go away. Your mocks were a joke all off-season anyway so no one cares what you think.

29 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

You must not be reading what people are writing then.

I'd say the majority of us preferred Darnold over Mayfield, some of us by a wide margin.  We're all allowed to state our objections, right?  Then we're also allowed to search for the logic of why our FO didn't do what we may have preferred.  We're all part analyst and part fan.

Just because some of us are trying to "rationalize" the picks and the thought process doesn't mean that you are witnessing "fandom psychosis".  Get over yourself, dude.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Hearing the browns were trying to trade out of 4 but didn’t want to trade out of contention for Ward. Sounds like he was truly their guy and tried to see if they could milk some picks out of a short trade down. Seems like no one wanted to trade with the browns that was worth it to them 

In my heart I have been feeling this way for a while now. I have been trade down all the way but the only guys I wanted in the Top 10 were Chubb and Ward. The thought of trading down to Buffalo fell out of favor for me. I then starting hoping for a trade back with teams high in the order like Tampa for Barkley or the three way trade with Indianapolis and Buffalo I stormed up. I am 115% positive that Indianapolis would have sprinted to the podium and done a back flip to and the card in for Denzel Ward at #6 and I am 90% possitive Denver would have done the same thing at #5 if we passed on him. I also feel the choice of Ward over Chubb was also a show of confidence in Ogbah more so than Ward being the superior prospect. I have felt Chubb and Ward were a toss up all along and the tie breaker was that Garrett, Ogbah, Smith and Nassib are a far superior unit than Carrie, Gaines, Mitchell, Calhoun, Howard and Taylor.

17 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I'd say the majority of us preferred Darnold over Mayfield, some of us by a wide margin.  We're all allowed to state our objections, right?  Then we're also allowed to search for the logic of why our FO didn't do what we may have preferred.  We're all part analyst and part fan.

Just because some of us are trying to "rationalize" the picks and the thought process doesn't mean that you are witnessing "fandom psychosis".  Get over yourself, dude.

shaq.gif

Sometimes all we need is some Reggie.

52 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

idk....probably?

This isn't a concern I had with Darnold.

Sure, but Baker has more of these traits than Darnold does. It's not like Sam doesn't have them, but Baker is a different animal. Again, not concerned with Sam's leadership, but Baker has him beat here.

I don't like the idea of pretending that Sam isn't good because that's not true. But I don't think the things being said about BAKER are false.

I don't really think there is much of a discernable difference between any of the top QB's. They're all going to be good. I had no problem with any QB at #1 because I wasn't thinking Darnold was significantly better than the others.

I am the first one to crap on our draft picks if I don't like them. I don't try to rationalize things like I did when I was younger. I hated Justin Gilbert, Danny Shelton, Corey Coleman, and Cam Erving. Wanted to puke when we took Shelton especially (he was much better than I anticipated, admittedly).  But I have nothing to complain about here. If Darnold and Rosen are better QB's than Baker, I don't think it'll be by much. I had all of the QB grades so close to one another.

Darnold--86

Mayfield--85

Rosen--84 (+injury history)

Allen--81 (+ insane upside value)

Not much of a difference in any of the QB's to me. We did take the best QB in every way...other than height. That's literally his only flaw. Sure being tall is important for the QB position, but can you find me 1 example on his tape where you say, "man, if only Baker was 2 inches taller, he would have made that throw..."?

33 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I can read, thank you.

I know psychological rationalization when I see it.

Denial is like honey and ignorance is bliss. 

"Get over yourself...." hahaha... but I've already prostrated myself in front of an altar of myself filled with a locket of my hair and every word I've ever spoken.... I also do 5 prayers towards its direction throughout the day at pre-sett intervals...

Archived