1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

This is what Darnold needs;

a stable offensive line

receivers who can get open, have great hands and can improvise(Darnold’s strength)

veratile backs who can run and catch

I don’t think we need to emphasize LT like the league has in years past, same with a #1 WR and even a dynamic RB from the standpoint of investing in one either early or with a huge contract. 

If Darnold pans out he’s a 100M dollar player and that will impact what’s around him. As long as we keep him upright and provide him with what I listed I think the kid will excel. Once this team is built up then maybe you throw a bone at your Julio’s or Fournette’s, etc. 

But honestly give me that Dallas O-Line, Saints Receivers and a David Johnson type(both skill set and value(3rd Round)) and Darnold will light it up. 

Michael Thomas is going to demand top 5 WR money from the Saints. David Johnson similarly at RB. The Dallas O-line is the best in the league. I feel like you've contradicted your point some. We need to hit on players in the draft and that's easier said than done. 

22 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The point is weapons. So you’re actually helping out my debate. Why didn’t he have to throw so much?!?! Bc we had a great OL and run game aka weapons. When he did have to throw the ball he atleast had talented receivers to help him out with getting separation and winning 50/50 balls. These are all things that need to be addressed to make Darnold succeed. We need to innthe next couple years upgrade at RB, WR and OL. To say what we have is good enough will make Darnold fail. There’s like 3 QBs in the whole NFL that can succeed with average weapons. And to think Darnold will be one of those guys is idiotic and fooling ourselves. Give him weapons. Sanchez was merely brought up as an example of how bad he flopped once we thought he was good and we let all his weapons go. It’s an awful way to build a team. It’s an offensive league. So offense should be a priority. Bc we’ve neglected that side of the ball for so long... our talent around QB is very average. And that’s not how to groom a franchise QB.

Or because he couldn't throw the ball well and was a turnover machine?! You are forgetting a lot about how truly terrible he was and continuing to make excuses for him. Sad. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Or because he couldn't throw the ball well and was a turnover machine?! You are forgetting a lot about how truly terrible he was and continuing to make excuses for him. Sad. 

You clearly are not even getting what I’m saying. I can careless about Sanchez. He was only brought up as an example (as was Geno) that giving a “potential” franchise QB weapons helps. Or in those cases lack of weapons. My point this whole time is to give Darnold weapons. You’ve decided to focus on Sanchez for some reason. Sad.

On 5/22/2018 at 7:55 AM, Sapo28 said:

Michael Thomas is going to demand top 5 WR money from the Saints. David Johnson similarly at RB. The Dallas O-line is the best in the league. I feel like you've contradicted your point some. We need to hit on players in the draft and that's easier said than done. 

How did I contradict myself? 

Look at how those specific players were acquired.

Dallas invested heavy in the OL with high draft picks- Which is what we should do for Darnold.

Thomas was a 2nd round pick regardless of the money he’d command that value is great. 1st Round WRs aren’t great picks IMO.

David Johnson was a 3rd Round Pick.

Dig further into my contradicting post and you’ll see it references targeting a Julio type or a Fournette early on when the emphasis should be on making sure he has a strong OL and how you can find receiving talent and running backs later on. 

So again where the hell is the contradiction?

That the Jets have to draft well? Duh.

23 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You clearly are not even getting what I’m saying. I can careless about Sanchez. He was only brought up as an example (as was Geno) that giving a “potential” franchise QB weapons helps. Or in those cases lack of weapons. My point this whole time is to give Darnold weapons. You’ve decided to focus on Sanchez for some reason. Sad.

well that is what i was responded to from the get go. no $#!t does darnold need weapons. I responded to the sanchez failure which i simply will never agree with so no point in continuing that debate. 

On 5/22/2018 at 4:49 AM, KingOfTheDot said:

This is what Darnold needs;

a stable offensive line

receivers who can get open, have great hands and can improvise(Darnold’s strength)

veratile backs who can run and catch

I don’t think we need to emphasize LT like the league has in years past, same with a #1 WR and even a dynamic RB from the standpoint of investing in one either early or with a huge contract. 

If Darnold pans out he’s a 100M dollar player and that will impact what’s around him. As long as we keep him upright and provide him with what I listed I think the kid will excel. Once this team is built up then maybe you throw a bone at your Julio’s or Fournette’s, etc. 

But honestly give me that Dallas O-Line, Saints Receivers and a David Johnson type(both skill set and value(3rd Round)) and Darnold will light it up. 

“This is what Darnold needs;“ 

^this statement contradicts this statement based on the players you are suggesting >>

“I don’t think we need to emphasize LT like the league has in years past...”

Okay let’s start with your idea of a “stable O-line” with little emphasis on a LT.

LT Tyron Smith is a 5 time pro bowler, 2 time all pro drafted #9 overall. 

Zach Martin is a 4 time pro bowler, 2 time all pro drafted #16 overall 

Travis Frederick is a 4 time pro bowler, 1 time all pro drafted # 31st overall.

and they have invested a 2nd and 3rd in the O line in 2015 and 2017

I agree keeping Sam upright should be a priority but Dallas’ best player on offense might be Tyron Smith. He’s a corner stone in which you build around. Not to mention the 2 other first round picks used on the O-line. I wouldn't call that stable but more so dominant and would put us back 3 first rounders. 

“...Same with #1 WR...”

Michael Thomas graded out as PFFs #2 WR last year. The guy is elite and makes the whole unit better. Also grows on trees. 

“....and even a dynamic back”

David Johnson  your example of a veratile back had 2000 ap yards and 20 TDs in 2016. Lead back material. Also grows on trees. 

Sure man maybe we get lucky and strike gold on a player in rounds 1-3 would love to have a Kareem Hunt , Kamara steal in the draft but it’s hard to come by. Your examples are picks that turned into the top talents of the league. We are looking at next years draft currently with a 1st and a 3rd. Where we should address the oline, weapons, and hey maybe the whole other side of the ball. 

I also think any QB could have success with what your proposing, no need for a 100m dollar Sam. 

On 5/24/2018 at 8:27 AM, Sapo28 said:

“This is what Darnold needs;“ 

^this statement contradicts this statement based on the players you are suggesting >>

“I don’t think we need to emphasize LT like the league has in years past...”

Okay let’s start with your idea of a “stable O-line” with little emphasis on a LT.

LT Tyron Smith is a 5 time pro bowler, 2 time all pro drafted #9 overall. 

Zach Martin is a 4 time pro bowler, 2 time all pro drafted #16 overall 

Travis Frederick is a 4 time pro bowler, 1 time all pro drafted # 31st overall.

and they have invested a 2nd and 3rd in the O line in 2015 and 2017

I agree keeping Sam upright should be a priority but Dallas’ best player on offense might be Tyron Smith. He’s a corner stone in which you build around. Not to mention the 2 other first round picks used on the O-line. I wouldn't call that stable but more so dominant and would put us back 3 first rounders. 

“...Same with #1 WR...”

Michael Thomas graded out as PFFs #2 WR last year. The guy is elite and makes the whole unit better. Also grows on trees. 

“....and even a dynamic back”

David Johnson  your example of a veratile back had 2000 ap yards and 20 TDs in 2016. Lead back material. Also grows on trees. 

Sure man maybe we get lucky and strike gold on a player in rounds 1-3 would love to have a Kareem Hunt , Kamara steal in the draft but it’s hard to come by. Your examples are picks that turned into the top talents of the league. We are looking at next years draft currently with a 1st and a 3rd. Where we should address the oline, weapons, and hey maybe the whole other side of the ball. 

I also think any QB could have success with what your proposing, no need for a 100m dollar Sam. 

You wrote too much, I’m not reading all that because you clearly missed the point.

invest heavy in the O-Line first and foremost- similar to Dallas

look for mid round receivers who can work themselves open and have good hands- similar to New Orleans

find him a good value back who do it all in the mid rounds- similar to Arizona

Are you still not understanding the point?

or are you going to type another dissertation?

The points are valid on either side. You can’t just keep addressing offense in the mid late rounds hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. You have to use valuable picks on guys. We’ve wasted countless picks over the years on developmental WRs, RBs, TEs and OL. And it 100% shows on the field. We have 0 difference makers son offense in an offensive league. We still think defense wins championships. And absolutely you need a good defense to win, but you have to score to win. And we haven’t been able to do that for an extremely long time. And the main reason behind that is we constantly prioritize defense early in the draft over offense. We can say all we want well we can add a RB, 2 WRs, OL innthe coming years... but when have we shown to do this. We just drafted our 1st offensive player in Round 1 in like our last 8 picks. It’s ridiculous. We will continue to not be good until we have an offense. Hopefully the FO realizes this. Otherwise drafting Darnold was a waste.

4 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I love that some of you are so dumb you rather try to make someone look bad rather than comprehend their post. And those who “liked” the post clearly still are in their feelings but whatever, do as you will.

Wah. The post was bad, like Hackenberg.

Yeah would much rather invest in the OL(especially the Guard spots) than take a WR, unless it’s an AJ Green/Julio type of prospect which other than AJ Brown next year might not be there

3 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Main reason we have gone defense is most years the best player available was adefensive player. 

This isn’t really true at all.

2010: we draft Wilson. We didn’t need a CB at all. Rob Gronkowski went shortly after that pick.

2011: we draft Wilkerson. This might have been the only pick I was for back in the day.

2012: we draft Coples. Awful pick. I wanted Alston Jeffrey there. But even if we wanted to go defense Jones was clearly the better pick.

2013: we draft Milliner and Sheldon. I wanted Warmack and Hopkins really bad. I did also want Geno and got my wish. And I know 99% of you don’t agree. I think if we gave Geno weapons he’d still be our starting QB.

2014: we drafted Pryor. I wanted Cooks or Matthews really bad there.

2015: we draft Leo. I wanted Beasley if we were to go defense. I also really wanted Gurley it White as well (White can’t stay healthy).

2016: we draft Lee. I wanted Doctson or Treadwell there.

2017: I was actually happy with the Adams pick.

2018: I was happy with the Darnold pick.

That is a lot of hindsight, some of those guys weren't on radar at that point in time. When we took COples I was mad, cause he was known as a questionable motor guy and people figured he didn't have passion for the game. I wanted Melvin Ingram that year.  Doctson and Treadwell haven't done much so far. 

Archived