1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

1 minute ago, NewAge said:

Is that not what Herndon is?

Is Herndon gonna play? I mean Leggett, Walford, Tomlinson and Hodges are also at TE. Obviously he will make the roster but is he going to play. We didn’t play Stewart or Hansen really last year. Hard to get excited about guys who don’t get snaps.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Is Herndon gonna play? I mean Leggett, Walford, Tomlinson and Hodges are also at TE. Obviously he will make the roster but is he going to play. We didn’t play Stewart or Hansen really last year. Hard to get excited about guys who don’t get snaps.

We’ll see. The same could be said about any WR that would have been taken after the first 2-3 rounds. 

Underrated aspect here. Browns wanted Baker for awhile and was a fan of Saquon. NY teams literally helped each other.

Had Jets not traded to 3, would've been a chance that Browns could've drafted Barkley #1 then took Baker at 4 (most teams would've took Sam & maybe even Rosen before Baker at 2 or 3.)

Jets got up in that 3 spot, not only forcing them to go QB at 1 (allowing Barkley to sit there for the Giants) but Jets late "info spill" of Baker being a done deal at 3 put the pressure on the Browns. Now the Browns couldn't chance it because Jets seem to favor Baker over Sam & Rosen based off rumors.

Gettleman should thank Mac for the help and Mac should thank Gettleman for not taking Sam. New York benefitted like tag team champions.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Hodges isnt that good, has athletic upside but theres a reason hes been cut so many times already

3 hours ago, DowNY said:

Underrated aspect here. Browns wanted Baker for awhile and was a fan of Saquon. NY teams literally helped each other.

Had Jets not traded to 3, would've been a chance that Browns could've drafted Barkley #1 then took Baker at 4 (most teams would've took Sam & maybe even Rosen before Baker at 2 or 3.)

Jets got up in that 3 spot, not only forcing them to go QB at 1 (allowing Barkley to sit there for the Giants) but Jets late "info spill" of Baker being a done deal at 3 put the pressure on the Browns. Now the Browns couldn't chance it because Jets seem to favor Baker over Sam & Rosen based off rumors.

Gettleman should thank Mac for the help and Mac should thank Gettleman for not taking Sam. New York benefitted like tag team champions.

Yup I agree 100%

If I would have told you guys in January that if you gave me pick 6 and your two 2nd 2018 and one 2nd 2019 for Sam Darnold would you have done it? For me I say YES!!!

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Sam thinking how come the jets aren’t giving me weapons like Arizona and Cleveland did for there investment.

The Cards needed to because other than DJ they have NOTHING going forward since Fitz is probably done after this year.  Their cupboard is bare, and I'm not a huge Christian Kirk guy.

The Browns had 1 million picks and scored Chubb and a WR who didn't play football last year AND smoked weed just before the draft like a dummy. 

I might be in the minority here but I don't hate our WR corps.  We don't have that standout #1 but that wasn't available in this draft anyway.  We have like 4 solid #2's imo.  

I think our TE spot is in far better shape than it was last year.  Wolford has had better seasons than ASJ, I think Sterling could be a sleeper to be a real contributor, Hodges is an athletic freak who is just a flier if he can put it together that would be huge, and we drafted Herndon who according to Miami fans is actually a really good player. 

RB is the one spot that could have been upgraded in this draft but due to not having our 2nd's the board didn't really fall to us the right way.  The RB's flew off the board much quicker than I think the Jets imagined they would.  We did sign Crowell though who I think is better than he is getting credit for.  

Our weapons aren't elite by any means but I think they are better than we had last year, remember we are also getting Q back.  Next year we sign a big name weapon.

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

The Cards needed to because other than DJ they have NOTHING going forward since Fitz is probably done after this year.  Their cupboard is bare, and I'm not a huge Christian Kirk guy.

The Browns had 1 million picks and scored Chubb and a WR who didn't play football last year AND smoked weed just before the draft like a dummy. 

I might be in the minority here but I don't hate our WR corps.  We don't have that standout #1 but that wasn't available in this draft anyway.  We have like 4 solid #2's imo.  

I think our TE spot is in far better shape than it was last year.  Wolford has had better seasons than ASJ, I think Sterling could be a sleeper to be a real contributor, Hodges is an athletic freak who is just a flier if he can put it together that would be huge, and we drafted Herndon who according to Miami fans is actually a really good player. 

RB is the one spot that could have been upgraded in this draft but due to not having our 2nd's the board didn't really fall to us the right way.  The RB's flew off the board much quicker than I think the Jets imagined they would.  We did sign Crowell though who I think is better than he is getting credit for.  

Our weapons aren't elite by any means but I think they are better than we had last year, remember we are also getting Q back.  Next year we sign a big name weapon.

I don't hate our WR group. But what I was merely pointing out is there's no really any guaranteed long term WRs on this roster at all. Not 1. They're either older, have injury or off the field issues or haven't played. And our TEs are completely unproven. And our RB group isn't anything great as well. My point is we landed "hopefully" a franchise QB. And decided to load up on DLine for the rest of the draft. I'd like to see us give our investment weapons like OL, WR and RBs. Rather than bring in 4 DLineman.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't hate our WR group. But what I was merely pointing out is there's no really any guaranteed long term WRs on this roster at all. Not 1. They're either older, have injury or off the field issues or haven't played. And our TEs are completely unproven. And our RB group isn't anything great as well. My point is we landed "hopefully" a franchise QB. And decided to load up on DLine for the rest of the draft. I'd like to see us give our investment weapons like OL, WR and RBs. Rather than bring in 4 DLineman.

This is how Macc drafts, for future needs. Stewart and Hansen were picked for that purpose, still have Q, Robby and Pryor all relatively young/entering their primes. Kearse a solid veteran presence. 

RB is deep with talent IMO now, Crowell, Powell, Rawls, Cannon and McGuire will all contribute in camp and 3 likely breakout and take the reigns. Bates comes from the Shanahan school so thats why I doubt we focused too much on Running Back.

OL is a question mark due to scheme change but we've got some depth there with some parts who can move around. I would have liked a mauling Guard but we didn't get one so its cool. 

I would have liked to see us take an offensive lineman as well. But the draft didn't break well for us on the offensive side. I'm not upset or anything. It is what it is. Macc was going bp on his board.

But as it stands, we have an average offensive line, an average running game, and an average but potentially solid receiving core. Unfortunately things didn't break well for us to improve on these units. We should have enough to get Sam's career off to a good start. But we will need to start trying to get higher end players on the offensive side of the ball. We have the first piece. Let's enjoy 2018.

Our defense though. This is the first time since year 1 that Bowles has the personnel to run the defense like he wants. I'm expecting a defense that is a lot more aggressive. I think our defense will take a nice step forward. 

I need to dig into this a bit more but PFF is starting to track QB accuracy in a new way. They'll continue with their adjusted stats. But now they will also track how close to the intended target a QB got on his throw. They started it last year and apparently Darnold was the second most accurate QB in this class using this measure. I don't know who was first but based on the info I was reading I'm inferring it was not Mayfield. So essentially Darnold is putting his passes on the money at a really high rate.

I'm not stressing it. With $100M or so in cap next year and our draft likeliness to trade back in drafts, I think next offseason will do us well on the offensive end.

I met Stephon Diggs before and homie is chill and vibes with NY when it comes to the energy. Not saying he's a lock to come here but Vikings have a lot of people to pay soon and we have a lot of money with a WR need.

Either way, I see bright future. Not all franchise QBs can start with a young franchise RB & young franchise WR. We'll get them. Until then, our weapons should be enough. Our weapons are literally better than what we had last season in every aspect. We got 5 wins with McCown with the last crop. No reason why we can't add 2 to 3 more wins when factoring in the defense.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Yeah this is the biggest head scratcher. Can’t believe we used three picks (1 traded) on the D-line. It’s things like that they make me question Macc moving forward.

If Darnold becomes a franchise qb he will have a few second chances here but make no mistakes about it...if we keep underwhelming during the middle rounds he won’t be here for long. 

Archived