1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

16 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Yeah this is the biggest head scratcher. Can’t believe we used three picks (1 traded) on the D-line. It’s things like that they make me question Macc moving forward.

If Darnold becomes a franchise qb he will have a few second chances here but make no mistakes about it...if we keep underwhelming during the middle rounds he won’t be here for long. 

Meh, we filled in well during free agency and next offseason is where we strike. Middle round guys won't be the deciding factor.

Look at what Wentz was walking into rookie year.

1 positive with the DLine depth, we won't have to target that next season in FA or draft.

1 hour ago, DowNY said:

Meh, we filled in well during free agency and next offseason is where we strike. Middle round guys won't be the deciding factor.

Look at what Wentz was walking into rookie year.

1 positive with the DLine depth, we won't have to target that next season in FA or draft.

Can’t keep saying that year in and year out. The middle rounds are where you round out your roster. Not for them to be off it within a year or two. 

Just now, xenajets said:

Can’t keep saying that year in and year out. The middle rounds are where you round out your roster. Not for them to be off it within a year or two. 

As far as I'm concerned, the reset was Thursday when we drafted Sam. Past 3 years where we were for some reason throwing 34+ year old QBs out there is now a wash. With no cap space and with a concrete direction on to where we are building, I think we're good. 

If they go into next draft and grab a single DLine guy, then maybe I'll be heated but as far as I'm concerned, we did good.

My only regret is that we focused on Kirk so much that we missed out on a guy like Allen Robinson. Besides that, we signed a bunch of offensive "weapons" with Crowell, Rawles, Pryor and we have Enunwa returning. Add that to losing nobody at those positions and that's an upgrade.

Not sure why you're even down on this middle round picks. What if they actually become something, unlike past misses ? 

What if we got our Mo & ASJ replacements?

Would you still feel down on the picks? 

Its about maximizing chances. We're a better team now than we were at the top of the year. We got younger (not older for once) & we have a bunch of flexibility moving forward. Flexibility that we wouldn't have had if we signed Kirk, I might add.

I'm feeling great.

20 years old.

Just such a ridiculous steal. You guys started at #6 and managed to get the best and youngest QB in the class.

Take your time with him. There’s no rush. Let’s be honest, you aren’t winning the division as long as Brady is still around.

Bring Sam along in time, get him receivers and a great line. The defense is already moving in the right direction. By the time you’ve done this and developed Darnold without hanging him out to dry, the following will be the case:

- Tom Brady will have retired.

- Josh Allen will be throwing the ball to your team four or five times each season.

- Miami will still be a purgatory with no QB, no motivation and a set of players that prefer to party in the hot sun than play in the hot sun.

The New York Jets have the AFC East of the 2020s in the palm of their hands.

Well done.

5 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

20 years old.

Just such a ridiculous steal. You guys started at #6 and managed to get the best and youngest QB in the class.

Take your time with him. There’s no rush. Let’s be honest, you aren’t winning the division as long as Brady is still around.

Bring Sam along in time, get him receivers and a great line. The defense is already moving in the right direction. By the time you’ve done this and developed Darnold without hanging him out to dry, the following will be the case:

- Tom Brady will have retired.

- Josh Allen will be throwing the ball to your team four or five times each season.

- Miami will still be a purgatory with no QB, no motivation and a set of players that prefer to party in the hot sun than play in the hot sun.

The New York Jets have the AFC East of the 2020s in the palm of their hands.

Well done.

Man I hope your right. 17 years of Tom Brady is just pin stupid. 

8 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

No team should have to put up with that. But think of it like this... Sammy D is literally half the age of Tom.

If it all goes according to plan, you’ve got next.

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Don't forget, we used have to deal with Payton Manning before the NFL switched the divisions. It was only for the first 4 years of his career. But how awful would it have been if the Colts remained in our division? Jeez. 

1 hour ago, NewAge said:

I would be more than happy to find him a D'Brickashaw Ferguson. 

I can't say I'm totally up to speed on Beachum's performance by the numbers this past year, but hearing him interviewed a couple times, he's an intelligent and impressive guy. Works on his game in the off-season with other OL at a training program. Stayed healthy this year. I'd like to develop a worthy back up behind him, but I'm not sure he can't be the guy with better personnel around him.

17 hours ago, BlaZeN37 said:

I like this guy^

Thanks man.

I'm from London but have been a Browns fan since I really got into the sport. The first draft I can remember, we took Brady Quinn. Complete failure from then until now. The last two years, I had been locked on Sam Darnold. So naturally, the football gods had us pass on him for a 6ft system qb.

Obviously, I'm always going to be a Browns fan, you can't ever change your team no matter how much they let you down. But I'll definitely be looking out for the Jets now that you have Darnold. I've always quite liked you guys because you remind me of my football team over here in England. Major city, passionate fans, perennial letdown. Hopefully you won't mind me posting in here every so often!

Archived