1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

With bridgwater and McCown, Darnold should t see the field until week 8 the earliest. Honestly I'd prefer he not start until the last few weeks of the season. I want Bridgewater to start and earn himself some value so we can look into some kind of trade to recoup some draft picks that we lost out on trading up this year. Those three third rounders hurt. A good year from abridgewater could net us 1 or 2 seconds.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

When do people think Darnold will start?

Not till we get our offensive squared away, and he has time to learn the system. He is only 20 years old, lets not throw him in the fire to fast. Right now we have no idea what the final 53 man roster will be. I think he can learn a lot form McCown, my only worry is the O line. We should have enough talent at RB, WR, on the final roster. Really the bottom line is we must be patient. The worst thing that could happen is people start thinking we are Super Bowl contenders. Mac is still not done putting all the pieces together for the team he wants. So to answer your question I have no idea when he should be the starting QB.  After waiting over 40 years we finally got our franchise QB, lets not screw him up is his first year. 

Clearly just need to have an honest open competition between McCown, Darnold and Teddy if he’s healthy. If Darnold beats them out convincingly then he starts. If it’s close and they want to refine some things about his game the sit him a portion of the season until he’s ready. I think it won’t be long until he’s not really giving them a choice to not play him. 

Wins and losses really don’t matter much to me at all this year. Developing Darnold and letting him progress at his own pace is key. Don’t give into the masses if McCown is 1-3 but it’s clear Sam needs a little more time. But at the same time if it’s becoming increasingly obvious he’s the best option and ready to play, don’t be afraid to insert him into the lineup. If he’s killing it in camp/practice his teammates will love it. Sam could be one of those players that by the end of camp he displays a strong command of the offense and he’ll just learn more by playing. 

Still really happy we have McCown. He’s a realistic bar for Sam to try and overtake and McCown would be Sams biggest fan if he won job. It really seems like Sam is already genuinely itching to get to work too. Feel way better we took him than any other QB.

17 hours ago, ekill08x said:

God I hope so man! We all deserve it. I like the leadership we have added and the desire to win. 

We now have it on both sides of the ball, though I wish Jamal would talk less. Hasn’t hasn’t a pick yet and he’s trolling Allen lol. Get to work young man, you got a ways to go. 

I seriously think the hurt and pain will be worth it when we finally get the super bowl win. 

Darnold should start when he is ready. If that means week 1, the let it be. If he has a decent grasp of the playbook where our offense is not too limited and he shows he has the maturity to handle a bad performance, then let's roll with him. The maturity is a big deal though. More than anything, he needs experience. There's only one way to gain experience. The prerequisites though are knowing the playbook and mental maturity.

I like the idea of getting a pick for teddy. But there's only one QB on our roster that matters. And his development is the single most important thing to consider. 

If he’s ready he needs at least 8 starts. History has shown that QBs should be playing early to get the reps. Obviously if he clearly isn’t ready he shouldn’t play, but if he’s even close they have to get him the experience. Looking forward to this season. Would also rather see teddy play than McCown at first. Playing McCown does absolutely nothing for us. He can mentor while being massively overpaid. 

I don’t see him starting until the 2nd half of the season. Schedule is easier early in the season and we will probably win a few of those games making it hard to bench McCown. But then reality will set in after that and we will lose and then turn to Darnold. We might even turn to Teddy before Darnold. All depends on health and how he looks in camp and all. He’s an X factor in this.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t see him starting until the 2nd half of the season. Schedule is easier early in the season and we will probably win a few of those games making it hard to bench McCown. But then reality will set in after that and we will lose and then turn to Darnold. We might even turn to Teddy before Darnold. All depends on health and how he looks in camp and all. He’s an X factor in this.

Neither do I,  can't thru a 20 year old kid  to start the season. At very best it MIGHT be sometime in the second half of the season. No way do I see Bowles starting Darnold, early in the season. What is going to be interesting is how much playing time Darnold, will get in preseason games, and is he going to play with the first team ?

Starting year 1 has worked for a lot of guys recently. It either allowed players to jump right in and learn on the fly or showed flaws that coaches would fix. We’ll learn close to nothing with Darnold only getting preseason or practice reps. He needs in game development both skill wise and from an IQ standpoint. Hopefully he starts 6-10 games this year. 

He’s getting 2nd team reps at the very least from the get go, otherwise this coaching staff should be canned. This is a much different situation than petty or hack. Darnold was a big investment and has twice the talent. He needs to play. Maybe not week one (unless he is already legitimately Better than both) but at some point this season, and not just a handful or less of games. I like that Macagnan has not been shy about him getting every opportunity to play from the very beginning.

32 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

He’s getting 2nd team reps at the very least from the get go, otherwise this coaching staff should be canned. This is a much different situation than petty or hack. Darnold was a big investment and has twice the talent. He needs to play. Maybe not week one (unless he is already legitimately Better than both) but at some point this season, and not just a handful or less of games. I like that Macagnan has not been shy about him getting every opportunity to play from the very beginning.

This is pretty much what Macc said on Miked Up. Coaches have a plan in place and they are not opposed to him starting right away if that is where he is in his development. That's the way it should be. If the kid is ready to roll, let's roll. Macc also said Teddy is healthy and is already throwing. So we will see Teddy as well.

The Jets QB situation is night and day from last year. 

14 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

This is pretty much what Macc said on Miked Up. Coaches have a plan in place and they are not opposed to him starting right away if that is where he is in his development. That's the way it should be. If the kid is ready to roll, let's roll. Macc also said Teddy is healthy and is already throwing. So we will see Teddy as well.

The Jets QB situation is night and day from last year. 

Might treat him like Goff year 1.

Archived