1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

Hackenberg was a waste of a pick, always was. Wasn't a draftable QB prospect, he was garbage in college.

I notice a lot of people praising Rosen now as the best QB in the draft, after they were talking crap about him pre process. Now he should have been the 1st overall pick. 

3 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Hackenberg was a waste of a pick, always was. Wasn't a draftable QB prospect, he was garbage in college.

I notice a lot of people praising Rosen now as the best QB in the draft, after they were talking crap about him pre process. Now he should have been the 1st overall pick. 

If by people you mean people on television or writing articles then yeah, they'll say whatever gets attention /starts arguments and conversations. 

Sports talk on radio and television is 95% bogus. Can't stand it. Makes me embarassed to be a sports fan sometimes. 

I also wasn't appealed by someone like Mayfield cause he talks too much, that isn't a great recipe for NY.  THe best athletes here are the ones who don't put out headlines, they let their play make the headlines. 

18 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Man Darnold makes some truly elite throws. Kid is fearless

He does, I am still shocked he didn't go 1st overall. Hes the complete package at QB, many rate him  as the top QB out of the past 3 draft classes. My favorite is how he operates a pocket, he avoids the rush at a elite level.

27 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

He wasn’t a waste. It was a risk that didn’t/hasn’t paid off. 

54 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

I also wasn't appealed by someone like Mayfield cause he talks too much, that isn't a great recipe for NY.  THe best athletes here are the ones who don't put out headlines, they let their play make the headlines. 

He does, I am still shocked he didn't go 1st overall. Hes the complete package at QB, many rate him  as the top QB out of the past 3 draft classes. My favorite is how he operates a pocket, he avoids the rush at a elite level.

Besides being durable, his ability to sense and evade the rush and make plays seems natural. Besides health, my main worry about Rosen was lack of mobility. But I’m stoked to have Darnold. He is on a completely different level than Sanchez as far as prospects go, it’s not even close.

49 minutes ago, MoLewis57 said:

He was a waste. He was always trash and a huge reach where we took him. 

Okay sure. Reports came out that if he slipped past us multiple teams were prepared to take him. A wasted pick is Stephen Hill for example. A guy who never showed anything but ran a fast 40 and was tall. With Hack you seen the potential as a freshman and hoped something great was there. At the moment he’s failed to show us he has it but he was not a waste of a pick. Same with Devin Smith who’s been hampered by injuries. 

1 hour ago, MoLewis57 said:

He was a waste. He was always trash and a huge reach where we took him. 

That's a stretch. A year before his last season in college, he was the projected #1 pick for the 2016 draft.

Not sure how "always" applies.

4 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I liked Rosen a lot as a prospect but I think he is more limited than Darnold.  Rosen is that guy that does everything right, which is great, but what can he do when everything isn't perfect?  As Dan Orlovski said on TV the other day (he was great on TV btw, I look forward to him talking about QB's more) "Even I was accurate when everything in the pocket was perfect, but that happens about 3 times per game".  He was referring to Allen, but I think it could refer to Rosen in a different way.  Rosen just doesn't sense pressure.  He was probably the worst at naturally feeling pressure of any of these guys.  He then has a hard time getting away from the pressure.  I just think that Rosen will be good at plays on schedule, but his lack of improvisational skills keeps him from being elite.

I did not like the Hack pick but i understand that it was a good risk to take. Ya we lost on the gamble big deal move on to the next one. I think a lot of people on this board and the people on TV over value second round picks. The average draft only has about 20-30 guys that will be starters and pro bowl players after that it is guessing game. That is why for you guys that live by the draft chat (I don't. I think it is a joke because ever draft is different) you see a huge drop off in points once you get to the second round. I also feel that Devin Smith is going to be better than people think. He was a beast at Ohio St. He was burning people on his speed and routes. He has just had bad luck with the injuries. If he can come back to close at what he was when we draft him he could be the slot guy and return guy we have been looking for. So many people are so fast to give up on a guy because of 1 or 2 bad years. 

Sam Darnold will be starting tis year no question about it. He is too good to be on the bench. He will have ever opportunity to win the job. If he can do pretty well in the preseason against some 1 and 2 defense guys. Looking at the schedule we have a good start of some weak teams which would be great for Sam to take on and see what he can do. If he comes out with a 2-2 or 3-1 record after the first 4 games he will be the man from here on out. Guys like Sam only come around once every 8-10 years. Just think about it almost everyone had him number 1 of all the QB and this QB class is the best I have every seen in the draft since the 83 class and I NEVER say that. 

https://nypost.com/2018/05/03/he-just-fell-to-us-retracing-jets-steps-to-getting-sam-darnold/

Nice article on Macc scouting Darnold and the lead up to the draft. They really didn't think he was going to be there. 

Nice to hear he nailed the whiteboard with Bates. We were his last interview, so seems like he got better throughout the process. Also, nice to hear Bowles loves him.

Archived