1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Well his hands actually aren’t that great. He has a knack for making difficult catches but dropping easy passes. He also is a very me person. It showed last year When he started promoting himself to the pro bowl.

He had 2 drops in 16 games last year.  That = great hands.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/new-york-jets-team-stats?season=2017&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=2&qualified=0&sortOrder=0

I don't disagree with the me first attitude with the Pro Bowl and also he wanted very much to hit 1,000 receiving yards.  He is still immature, like most WRs frankly. 

7 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Definitely the more talent the longer the string and I agree Robby is no Moss.

Moss did a lot of stuff though. He went to jail for a month in HS for fighting, splashed water on an official, bumped a traffic cop with his car (arrested and had to do community service), took plays off and said he plays when he wants to, they found marijuana in his car (charges were later dropped), involved in a fight with the Bears. He also had to take anger management classes for verbally abusing a corporate sponsor. 

Didn't realize he did all of this stuff. 

Dude was a beast tho. Hall of fame career and took four years off in his prime while on the Raiders. 

5 hours ago, MoLewis57 said:

Didn't realize he did all of this stuff. 

Dude was a beast tho. Hall of fame career and took four years off in his prime while on the Raiders. 

He was only with the raiders for 2 years 

19 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Very good read. Love reading these behind the scenes stories to get the scoop on what was happening the entire time. Definitely sounds like we expected to come away with Rosen, judging by the quote where Macc went up to Chris Johnson and said we didn't expect this... As if they were going in a different direction than CJ was expecting. Also sounds like they lived Mayfield, the person, perfect character eval hah. 

That’s one of the benefits of having a player coach. The CBA limits how much organizations and “real” coaches can do during the offseason. Players though, it’s unlimited. Grandpa Josh can work with Darnold all summer. 

This is it fellas. He’s our guy. Can’t wait for his first series as a Jet.

Anyone know who’s he taking snaps from? Is that Long?

26 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

That’s one of the benefits of having a player coach. The CBA limits how much organizations and “real” coaches can do during the offseason. Players though, it’s unlimited. Grandpa Josh can work with Darnold all summer. 

Great point.  I hope they are working together right now.  You can see even from these pictures just how IN McCown is on coaching this kid up.  Could be a huge asset in his year 1 development.  Considering how fast this kid seems to learn (due to how far along he is with limited QB experience) I am starting to think Darnold may just take the job outright.  

33 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

It’s a good point. But let’s be real... some are talking like McCown is this genius great QB. He’s not Peyton Manning and giving a wealth of knowledge to Darnold. He’s a below average QB that’s made a long career as a backup. This isn’t to say he’s not a good “coach” we actually all have no clue if he is or not. I mean Jordan Palmer wasn’t a good QB and is now looked at as a guru. So who knows.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s a good point. But let’s be real... some are talking like McCown is this genius great QB. He’s not Peyton Manning and giving a wealth of knowledge to Darnold. He’s a below average QB that’s made a long career as a backup. This isn’t to say he’s not a good “coach” we actually all have no clue if he is or not. I mean Jordan Palmer wasn’t a good QB and is now looked at as a guru. So who knows.

That’s true. Hopefully he is coaching him up well. All we can hang our hat on is that ex-teammates of McCown have said he is a good mentor including Palmer. Palmer even said he would draft McCown number 1 to fill that backup mentor role. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The worst players end up being the best coaches/evaluators sometimes. "Those who can DO, those who can't TEACH" 

I dont think Bill Belichick ever played a game of anything in his life lol.

Archived