Jump to content
NewAge

1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

As you said, great article.  My biggest take away is our GM has a plan.  He and his team worked their butts off scouting and even if Darnold did not fall to us I am confident they would have picked a quality guy.  Should remove doubt to any Macc nay sayers.  He has a plan and is working hard to execute.  Can't ask for more ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s a good point. But let’s be real... some are talking like McCown is this genius great QB. He’s not Peyton Manning and giving a wealth of knowledge to Darnold. He’s a below average QB that’s made a long career as a backup. This isn’t to say he’s not a good “coach” we actually all have no clue if he is or not. I mean Jordan Palmer wasn’t a good QB and is now looked at as a guru. So who knows.

I actually look at your point of him not being Manning and him being below average BUT stayed in the league as long as he has as a big advantage in knowledge he can pass on.  The "little' things that have kept Josh around will make a QB with much more talent that much better.  Ultimately, as you said, we really don't know at this point but I think odds are high he can pass on some real good knowledge to Sam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The worst players end up being the best coaches/evaluators sometimes. "Those who can DO, those who can't TEACH" 

I dont think Bill Belichick ever played a game of anything in his life lol.

He's a coach though not a mentor leading by example. That's the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

I actually look at your point of him not being Manning and him being below average BUT stayed in the league as long as he has as a big advantage in knowledge he can pass on.  The "little' things that have kept Josh around will make a QB with much more talent that much better.  Ultimately, as you said, we really don't know at this point but I think odds are high he can pass on some real good knowledge to Sam.

I'm by no means saying I don't like McCown mentoring him. My mere point was that we shouldn't be talking about McCown mentoring him like he's QB Yoda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm by no means saying I don't like McCown mentoring him. My mere point was that we shouldn't be talking about McCown mentoring him like he's QB Yoda.

I get you.  He does have a ton of experience in the NFL to share though which can't be a bad thing (no matter what kind of career he has had)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He's a coach though not a mentor leading by example. That's the difference.

Same thing in retrospect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guys who don’t have the natural talent or transcendent talent often have to master the basics and smaller aspects of the game to stick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm by no means saying I don't like McCown mentoring him. My mere point was that we shouldn't be talking about McCown mentoring him like he's QB Yoda.

McCown was going to be hired as a coach with the jets if he did not want to play anymore. That right there says a lot in my book. He has the knowledge to teach the young QB. McCown has also been in so many different play books that he could even show Sam how to understand the plays better and learn them faster. I think McCown is the perfect guy for Sam lo learn from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though he made more starts and started the 91 AFCCG, Jim Harbaugh was not a very good starting QB, and the guy is a terrific coach and mentor. Josh McCown is a solid QB who is always hurt. He is a great mentor and the team adores him and his leadership. Mocking McCown for being Yoda for the fact that his numbers don't translate to elite is just ridiculous. The two dont correlate. McCown is exactly the guy you want mentoring Darnold, he will teach him the Xs and Os and how to continue to conduct himself as a gentlemen. Brett Farve was and awful mentor to Rodgers, but was a terrific QB, and Farve was often regardless as borderline stupid. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One of the key things I focused on in that article was towards the end when he talked about how the Jets are studying what the Eagles did with Wentz, what the Rams did with Goff and what the Seahawks did with Wilson. Just a sign of things to come. I’m expecting the Jets to be real aggressive next year and try and stack the team with all the available cap space. Basically what we thought they would do this year. Maybe the thought process was to wait to see which QB we get so that we can stack the team with the right players that fit said QB. Exciting times in Jet Nation.

Edited by SDotNova

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

One of the key things I focused on in that article was towards the end when he talked about how the Jets are studying what the Eagles did with Wentz, what the Rams did with Goff and what the Seahawks did with Wilson. Just a sign of things to come. I’m expecting the Jets to be real aggressive next year and try and stack the team with all the available cap space. Basically what we thought they would do this year. Maybe the thought process was to wait to see which QB we get so that we can stack the team with the right players that fit said QB. Exciting times in Jet Nation.

We will be a more enticing destination for FA now with a QB to be optimistic about. Problem might be that weight only win 2-5 games though and won’t be looked as a top destination. Instead of seeing the big picture. Our big needs will still be WR, LT, Edge and CB. We should be able to easily address 3 of those with the cap space we will have and a 1st Rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We will be a more enticing destination for FA now with a QB to be optimistic about. Problem might be that weight only win 2-5 games though and won’t be looked as a top destination. Instead of seeing the big picture. Our big needs will still be WR, LT, Edge and CB. We should be able to easily address 3 of those with the cap space we will have and a 1st Rounder.

I mean the bears went what 6-10 something like that and they landed a bunch of quality Offensive Free agents so I don’t believe the wins and loses will be a factor but more so the upside Darnold shows once he gets his shot. If I’m then I splurge on OL in FA next year(Specifically OG), TE if none of the young guys show talent or upside, and Edge. Use the draft to add a WR, RB, or another Edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Rams are a reasonable trajectory to follow. If you look back at their team roster in 2016, these two  teams are similar. Defense and Offensive line are about the same. The Jets are actually ahead at WR. And the Rams were ahead at RB because of Gurley.

In 2017, the Rams revamped their WR by trade/draft/FA with Woods, Kupp and Watkins. And they strengthened their OL with Whitworth and Sullivan. They made a few tweaks to their defense but the main difference was the growth of Joyner and Donald.

To follow the Rams, we need to strengthing the OL and find Darnold a big time weapon comparable to what they have in Gurley. Doesn’t have to be a RB though.

We also need to see Adams and Leo become impact players and add an edge player. And we need to see Shell become an average starter.

So I pretty much agree with the needs here: LT, OG, Edge and offensive weapon. If we can get those via draft/trade/free agency, we can continue on that Rams path as long as Darnold is who we think he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I think the Rams are a reasonable trajectory to follow. If you look back at their team roster in 2016, these two  teams are similar. Defense and Offensive line are about the same. The Jets are actually ahead at WR. And the Rams were ahead at RB because of Gurley.

In 2017, the Rams revamped their WR by trade/draft/FA with Woods, Kupp and Watkins. And they strengthened their OL with Whitworth and Sullivan. They made a few tweaks to their defense but the main difference was the growth of Joyner and Donald.

To follow the Rams, we need to strengthing the OL and find Darnold a big time weapon comparable to what they have in Gurley. Doesn’t have to be a RB though.

We also need to see Adams and Leo become impact players and add an edge player. And we need to see Shell become an average starter.

So I pretty much agree with the needs here: LT, OG, Edge and offensive weapon. If we can get those via draft/trade/free agency, we can continue on that Rams path as long as Darnold is who we think he is. 

I think getting weapons is key. We really messed that up with Sanchez and Geno. Not to say either would have been franchise QBs if given weapons. But it certainly didn't help not having any. You look at Sanchez his 1st 2 years when he did have weapons we made it to back to back AFCCG. WE all know it was mainly the defense that got us there... but it certainly was also a lot to do with  a very good OLine and running game along with a few receiving weapons. Our defense is very solid. Perhaps very good if we can add an edge. That's actually the position I feel the most confident in us addressing in FA with Fowler, Ray, Lawrence and Jordan maybe all hitting FA. But that's not the issue I think adding a couple good OLineman as well as a very good RB and possibly a #2 with #1 potential at WR. I'd say a TE as well, but I feel we have some good receiving options there. I think we have to draft our RB, so we have to prioritize that higher then the 5th round and later like we have for a decade. At WR the FA class is just OK. Guys like OBJ and Cooks I don't see hitting the market. So you're looking at guys like Benjamin, Moncrief, Mattthews, Funchess, Perriman and White (risky guys with upside), Diggs and Lockett. Id welcome a couple of those guys. Enunwa, Pryor and Kearse are all FAs beyond this year. So we have a big off season at WR next year. Which will be huge for developing Darnold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets plan on going big next offseason, hopefully Darnold shows a lot of promise his rookie year. Then by year 2 of Darnold we really solidify a team that can compete for the playoffs. Maybe the Patriots will be done by then, I mean they are eventually going to slow down, Brady's body has to eventually break down in his 40s.  I think Belichick is close to retiring anyways.

We  kinda need another top 10 pick, to hopefully land that pass rusher to make our defense elite. Also need to build that OL. I think our WRs are good enough for a good QB to be fine with, look at how McCown preformed with them and we are getting Enunwa back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×