1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

18 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think getting weapons is key. We really messed that up with Sanchez and Geno. Not to say either would have been franchise QBs if given weapons. But it certainly didn't help not having any. You look at Sanchez his 1st 2 years when he did have weapons we made it to back to back AFCCG. WE all know it was mainly the defense that got us there... but it certainly was also a lot to do with  a very good OLine and running game along with a few receiving weapons. Our defense is very solid. Perhaps very good if we can add an edge. That's actually the position I feel the most confident in us addressing in FA with Fowler, Ray, Lawrence and Jordan maybe all hitting FA. But that's not the issue I think adding a couple good OLineman as well as a very good RB and possibly a #2 with #1 potential at WR. I'd say a TE as well, but I feel we have some good receiving options there. I think we have to draft our RB, so we have to prioritize that higher then the 5th round and later like we have for a decade. At WR the FA class is just OK. Guys like OBJ and Cooks I don't see hitting the market. So you're looking at guys like Benjamin, Moncrief, Mattthews, Funchess, Perriman and White (risky guys with upside), Diggs and Lockett. Id welcome a couple of those guys. Enunwa, Pryor and Kearse are all FAs beyond this year. So we have a big off season at WR next year. Which will be huge for developing Darnold.

I don’t think Bowles, like Rex before him, has edge rusher as a high priority. IMO he wants to apply pressure up the middle and have a strong secondary.

I’m hoping Garcia can win either one of the starting OL positions or at least beat out Qvale or Ijalana for a backup position. I think if healthy he could at least be a future starter while Qvale and Ijalana are, IMO, only backups. The last two years had some good middle round RBs but we passed and instead took a 6th and 7th rounder so I don’t feel confident that we will go RB. Mac does not seem to draft RB and OL early. 

IMO our WR group can be good this year if Enunwa and Pryor are healthy. I see no reason why Anderson can’t duplicate or better last year’s numbers and Kearse is a solid option. A lot of questions for 2019 regarding Stewart, Hansen, Smith, Peake, and even Marshall. Hopefully one or two of them will step up and not require we spend a lot of money on mostly average talent.

55 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

I don’t think Bowles, like Rex before him, has edge rusher as a high priority. IMO he wants to apply pressure up the middle and have a strong secondary.

I’m hoping Garcia can win either one of the starting OL positions or at least beat out Qvale or Ijalana for a backup position. I think if healthy he could at least be a future starter while Qvale and Ijalana are, IMO, only backups. The last two years had some good middle round RBs but we passed and instead took a 6th and 7th rounder so I don’t feel confident that we will go RB. Mac does not seem to draft RB and OL early. 

IMO our WR group can be good this year if Enunwa and Pryor are healthy. I see no reason why Anderson can’t duplicate or better last year’s numbers and Kearse is a solid option. A lot of questions for 2019 regarding Stewart, Hansen, Smith, Peake, and even Marshall. Hopefully one or two of them will step up and not require we spend a lot of money on mostly average talent.

Bowles might not value Edge but Macc does. That's why he says he likes to draft and Edge pretty much every draft along with OL. So he does prioritize those positions. Garcia becoming our LT would be incredible after this year as maybe a swing OT... but also incredibly optimistic. Odds are we have to get one via draft, trade or FA. RB is very key to developing a good QB. To have a defense have to respect the run to open up throwing lanes is very underrated. No we don't have to spend a 1st Rounder on a RB to get a good one. But we surely have to address it earlier than the 6th-7th round like we have. Good thing about RBs is that if drafted in the 1st 3 rounds or so... they can contribute ASAP normally. Enunwa is a question mark coming off major injury. I hope he returns to form and I'll gladly be ok with paying him if he does return to form. If he doesn't though and struggles with injury you'd imagine we walk away. Pryor isn't that young and has really only produced 1 year in his career. I also hope he plays well. But he's far from an answer at WR being 30 and on a 1yr prove your healthy deal. Kearse IMO is very average. I think you can get a Kearse type WR easily in FA or the draft that's younger. I could see us moving on from him in the offseason as well. Leaving us with the only proven WR left on the roster in Robby. Who has off the field issues. I hope he matures and gets his crap together. But as of now he's a risk off the field. Stewart and Hansen haven't done anything yet, so its hard to say much on them. But the bad part about them is that they're so low on the depth chart will we even see enough of them this year to know if they're worth keeping and fill some big WR roles going forward? I don't think they will, unless some of the above names get injured. Smith is an x factor but I don't expect him to make the roster, same goes for Peake. Marshall we already cut so he's not an option.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:02 PM, Bobby816 said:

I think getting weapons is key. We really messed that up with Sanchez and Geno. Not to say either would have been franchise QBs if given weapons. But it certainly didn't help not having any. You look at Sanchez his 1st 2 years when he did have weapons we made it to back to back AFCCG. WE all know it was mainly the defense that got us there... but it certainly was also a lot to do with  a very good OLine and running game along with a few receiving weapons. Our defense is very solid. Perhaps very good if we can add an edge. That's actually the position I feel the most confident in us addressing in FA with Fowler, Ray, Lawrence and Jordan maybe all hitting FA. But that's not the issue I think adding a couple good OLineman as well as a very good RB and possibly a #2 with #1 potential at WR. I'd say a TE as well, but I feel we have some good receiving options there. I think we have to draft our RB, so we have to prioritize that higher then the 5th round and later like we have for a decade. At WR the FA class is just OK. Guys like OBJ and Cooks I don't see hitting the market. So you're looking at guys like Benjamin, Moncrief, Mattthews, Funchess, Perriman and White (risky guys with upside), Diggs and Lockett. Id welcome a couple of those guys. Enunwa, Pryor and Kearse are all FAs beyond this year. So we have a big off season at WR next year. Which will be huge for developing Darnold.

Ugh this argument absolutely infuriates me. I feel like a lot of you forge the sanchez era. He had the best offensive line and running game and defense for his first 2 years and was the only crutch on the team otherwise that team could have won a super bowl. Sanchez was had almost nothing to do with why we made it to those AFCCGs, in fact average QB play probably wins us a title. Sanchez failed because of Sanchez, plain and simple. Then our awful GM gave the kid a raise and we couldnt resign other players who were more important. Sanchez never really earned a starting job, never had to compete for it and never got benched. Rex, though he brought a bravado and was a brilliant defensive mind, tore down the foundation mangini built and it was a recipe for disaster. Rex was never meant to be a HC, and Sanchez was never meant to be a starting QB (has officially failed in 5 locations)

That being said, Mac has a much better idea of how to build the team and take advantage of his young QBs salary to build the pieces around. Thats the main difference  here. Sanchez made a huge salary from day one and then got a crazy guaranteed extension which made very little sense. It required us to rob peter to pay paul and the team wasnt as deep and the QB progressively got worse. Had Sanchez stayed in school and graduated, he may have developed into a much better QB, but based on his mental makeup, he just didn't have to toughness or instincts to be a good starting QB. 09 and 10 were a blast as a fan, but I was still so disappointed when we drafted him. Felt completely the opposite when we drafted Darnold, USC and turnover prone or not. The kid is just resilient. Sanchez was 100% the contrary. This is as optimistic as I have felt in a very long time. I pray we simply stay the course and surround Darnold with talent, but more importantly an offensive line. Receivers and TEs are found on day 2, but LTs and premier C's go on day one. I hope Mac continues to not only get lucky with players falling, but drafts smart and continues to stick to the board. WOuld love to see Stewart and Hansson show something this year so we can potentially deal a Pryor or Kearse at the deadline and get back into round 2 somehow. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Ugh this argument absolutely infuriates me. I feel like a lot of you forge the sanchez era. He had the best offensive line and running game and defense for his first 2 years and was the only crutch on the team otherwise that team could have won a super bowl. Sanchez was had almost nothing to do with why we made it to those AFCCGs, in fact average QB play probably wins us a title. Sanchez failed because of Sanchez, plain and simple. Then our awful GM gave the kid a raise and we couldnt resign other players who were more important. Sanchez never really earned a starting job, never had to compete for it and never got benched. Rex, though he brought a bravado and was a brilliant defensive mind, tore down the foundation mangini built and it was a recipe for disaster. Rex was never meant to be a HC, and Sanchez was never meant to be a starting QB (has officially failed in 5 locations)

That being said, Mac has a much better idea of how to build the team and take advantage of his young QBs salary to build the pieces around. Thats the main difference  here. Sanchez made a huge salary from day one and then got a crazy guaranteed extension which made very little sense. It required us to rob peter to pay paul and the team wasnt as deep and the QB progressively got worse. Had Sanchez stayed in school and graduated, he may have developed into a much better QB, but based on his mental makeup, he just didn't have to toughness or instincts to be a good starting QB. 09 and 10 were a blast as a fan, but I was still so disappointed when we drafted him. Felt completely the opposite when we drafted Darnold, USC and turnover prone or not. The kid is just resilient. Sanchez was 100% the contrary. This is as optimistic as I have felt in a very long time. I pray we simply stay the course and surround Darnold with talent, but more importantly an offensive line. Receivers and TEs are found on day 2, but LTs and premier C's go on day one. I hope Mac continues to not only get lucky with players falling, but drafts smart and continues to stick to the board. WOuld love to see Stewart and Hansson show something this year so we can potentially deal a Pryor or Kearse at the deadline and get back into round 2 somehow. 

Sanchez wasn’t the reason they didn’t make the SB. The D failed. Go look at his playoff stats. He was fine. 

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Yeah the defense (lack of Edge rusher) Killed is in 09(Colts) and 10(Steelers). Defense was a wreck in the 2nd half of 09 and 1st half of 10.

Yeah, Rex’s faults and lack of pressure is pretty much what cost us those games, those were two of Sanchez best games along with the win in New England the week prior. If the defense had any semblance of urgency or what was at stake in the first half of 2010 we would of won that game. Murphy’s law

17 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Sanchez was actually very good in the playoffs. It was his regular season play that wasn’t good. We backed into the playoffs each of those years bc his QB play was bad. But both postseasons he was very good. 9 TDs to 3 INTs. Not bad stats at all. Not great by any means. I’m not going to sit here and say Sanchez was going to be this great franchise qb for us. But us not giving him weapons certainly didn’t help.

17 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Sanchez was actually very good in the playoffs. It was his regular season play that wasn’t good. We backed into the playoffs each of those years bc his QB play was bad. But both postseasons he was very good. 9 TDs to 3 INTs. Not bad stats at all. Not great by any means. I’m not going to sit here and say Sanchez was going to be this great franchise qb for us. But us not giving him weapons certainly didn’t help.

What you say is very true. But now our future looks much brighter, it has been a long time coming for me 43 years.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:21 AM, Bobby816 said:

He played game manager in all of those games aside from the NE and the second half of the Pitt game, but his fumble that was returned for a TD was also a killer. He was awful against the colts in 2010 and if not for Cro's return we may not have won that game. Yes he made a good throw to Edwards on the sideline but aside from that he was terrible all game. He also didn't complete more than 20 passes in a single playoff game. we were so afraid he would mess up they ran the ball 40 times a game. I dont want to get into a sanchez argument because trust me there isnt a happier Jets fan than I when we released him, point being, Darnold has a chance to significantly better than Sanchez ever was regardless of the continuous excuses jets fans make for him. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

He played game manager in all of those games aside from the NE and the second half of the Pitt game, but his fumble that was returned for a TD was also a killer. He was awful against the colts in 2010 and if not for Cro's return we may not have won that game. Yes he made a good throw to Edwards on the sideline but aside from that he was terrible all game. He also didn't complete more than 20 passes in a single playoff game. we were so afraid he would mess up they ran the ball 40 times a game. I dont want to get into a sanchez argument because trust me there isnt a happier Jets fan than I when we released him, point being, Darnold has a chance to significantly better than Sanchez ever was regardless of the continuous excuses jets fans make for him. 

The point is weapons. So you’re actually helping out my debate. Why didn’t he have to throw so much?!?! Bc we had a great OL and run game aka weapons. When he did have to throw the ball he atleast had talented receivers to help him out with getting separation and winning 50/50 balls. These are all things that need to be addressed to make Darnold succeed. We need to innthe next couple years upgrade at RB, WR and OL. To say what we have is good enough will make Darnold fail. There’s like 3 QBs in the whole NFL that can succeed with average weapons. And to think Darnold will be one of those guys is idiotic and fooling ourselves. Give him weapons. Sanchez was merely brought up as an example of how bad he flopped once we thought he was good and we let all his weapons go. It’s an awful way to build a team. It’s an offensive league. So offense should be a priority. Bc we’ve neglected that side of the ball for so long... our talent around QB is very average. And that’s not how to groom a franchise QB.

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The point is weapons. So you’re actually helping out my debate. Why didn’t he have to throw so much?!?! Bc we had a great OL and run game aka weapons. When he did have to throw the ball he atleast had talented receivers to help him out with getting separation and winning 50/50 balls. These are all things that need to be addressed to make Darnold succeed. We need to innthe next couple years upgrade at RB, WR and OL. To say what we have is good enough will make Darnold fail. There’s like 3 QBs in the whole NFL that can succeed with average weapons. And to think Darnold will be one of those guys is idiotic and fooling ourselves. Give him weapons. Sanchez was merely brought up as an example of how bad he flopped once we thought he was good and we let all his weapons go. It’s an awful way to build a team. It’s an offensive league. So offense should be a priority. Bc we’ve neglected that side of the ball for so long... our talent around QB is very average. And that’s not how to groom a franchise QB.

I agree. What we have at the moment is decent. I don't think it'll necessary stunt Darnold's development this year. But if we want him to excel, we need to surround him with higher quality players. Next offseason I will be hoping for a stronger o-line. And while I think our receiving unit and running back unit are solid, we need a go to offensive weapon. 

I don't necessarily think we need a ton of new players, just 3 or so higher quality players. Say Matthews/Lewan LT, Barr Edge, and draft someone like AJ Brown WR in the first and a guard or RB in the 3rd. Plus bring back Jets players that played well or a comparable player and we should be good to go for year 2.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

I agree. What we have at the moment is decent. I don't think it'll necessary stunt Darnold's development this year. But if we want him to excel, we need to surround him with higher quality players. Next offseason I will be hoping for a stronger o-line. And while I think our receiving unit and running back unit are solid, we need a go to offensive weapon. 

I don't necessarily think we need a ton of new players, just 3 or so higher quality players. Say Matthews/Lewan LT, Barr Edge, and draft someone like AJ Brown WR in the first and a guard or RB in the 3rd. Plus bring back Jets players that played well or a comparable player and we should be good to go for year 2.

While I like some of the weapons there's no long term stability at RB or WR at all really on the roster. At WR our only younger proven WRs are Enunwa and Robby. One coming off an major neck surgery who's a pending FA and the other who has off the field issues. At RB I like Crowell (he's still only 25) and I'd like to have a receiving back to partner with him. We lack that right now in youth.

This is what Darnold needs;

a stable offensive line

receivers who can get open, have great hands and can improvise(Darnold’s strength)

veratile backs who can run and catch

I don’t think we need to emphasize LT like the league has in years past, same with a #1 WR and even a dynamic RB from the standpoint of investing in one either early or with a huge contract. 

If Darnold pans out he’s a 100M dollar player and that will impact what’s around him. As long as we keep him upright and provide him with what I listed I think the kid will excel. Once this team is built up then maybe you throw a bone at your Julio’s or Fournette’s, etc. 

But honestly give me that Dallas O-Line, Saints Receivers and a David Johnson type(both skill set and value(3rd Round)) and Darnold will light it up. 

Archived