1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

13 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

He does have a valid point because the WR and RB positions return very good players in the mid round almost every year.  He's not saying draft a RB top 10 and hope for a franchise LT, Pass Rusher and QB in rounds 4-6.  

Ideally his scenario where we build a strong OL and surround them with versatile WR's and RB's who may not be OBJ and Elliot good but can play at an above average level is the way I would go as well.  Even average WR's can get open when the QB is given an extra second to scan the field. 

Sure, but when was the last time we drafted a Michael Thomas or David Johnson? There needs to be a commitment to keep trying on those Mid-Round players. Its not a one draft and done.

I wouldn't hate it if we drafted a RB in the 3rd-4th for the next 3 years knowing that the position can continually be improved. Best example is the Steelers with WRs. You have Antonio Brown and they still seem to draft a top prospect in the 2-4th rounds and it nets them picks and negotiation power over their guys because they have a next man up.  Where we draft Stephen Hill in the 2nd and hope for the best. 

If we can start being gluttonous over drafting weapons Sam will be successful. I think we can fill holes on the O-line through FA 

Just now, Sapo28 said:

Sure, but when was the last time we drafted a Michael Thomas or David Johnson? There needs to be a commitment to keep trying on those Mid-Round players. Its not a one draft and done.

I wouldn't hate it if we drafted a RB in the 3rd-4th for the next 3 years knowing that the position can continually be improved. Best example is the Steelers with WRs. You have Antonio Brown and they still seem to draft a top prospect in the 2-4th rounds and it nets them picks and negotiation power over their guys because they have a next man up.  Where we draft Stephen Hill in the 2nd and hope for the best. 

If we can start being gluttonous over drafting weapons Sam will be successful. I think we can fill holes on the O-line through FA 

So we just haven't been one of the lucky teams to do that.  Not sure what your point is.  Mac just drafted 2 WR's and a TE last year in the mid rounds then RB's in consecutive drafts.  It's not like he's not trying to add talent on offense.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

So we just haven't been one of the lucky teams to do that.  Not sure what your point is.  Mac just drafted 2 WR's and a TE last year in the mid rounds then RB's in consecutive drafts.  It's not like he's not trying to add talent on offense.

True, but weve also selected those backs in the 6th round, one of which projects to just a kick/punt returner, and weve essentially let two deep RB classes slide without really getting a decent prospect. I liked this years draft much better, and i hope moving forward Mac continues to trust the board. I do however believe that we are going to start to see a lot more offense in the upcoming drafts to help the kid succeed. 

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Do people actually think we have a major hole at RB though?  We have a nice stable of versatile RB's that can play.

3 years is a major exaggeration.  The offense as constructed isn't terrible.  Anderson, Q and Kearse are all proven WR's.

The 2019 FA class is flat out loaded so we could easily fill some holes on both sides of the ball and be in position to take a future LT in round 1 or go for that stud WR if the value is right.

We are in a great position moving forward and things will start to turn really quickly in 2019 once Darnold gets settled and we bring in more talent.  No way this is a more 3 year rebuild.

What are the major holes on offense?  TE? Long term LT and LG?  Sure we could use a great WR but I wouldn't call WR a hole.  RT has potential so we just don't know yet.  Maybe RG if Winters can't stay healthy?  The holes are mainly on the OL for the long term.

I’ll state this again our WR group is temporary and with a lot of question marks. There’s optimism within the group, but until it shows on the field it’s just that optimism. Q might get hit and never play football again. Robby can get arrested again. Pryor is 30. Kearse is very average. Hansen and Stewart have barely played.

At RB I loved adding Crowell. But he’s a bandaid really. We need to draft a talented young RB. Powell is 30 he’s done after this season. Mcguire offers speed but hasn’t found a role worth talking about.

Thats a lot of question marks and band aids. Not any for sure great players with us going forward for a few years.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ll state this again our WR group is temporary and with a lot of question marks. There’s optimism within the group, but until it shows on the field it’s just that optimism. Q might get hit and never play football again. Robby can get arrested again. Pryor is 30. Kearse is very average. Hansen and Stewart have barely played.

At RB I loved adding Crowell. But he’s a bandaid really. We need to draft a talented young RB. Powell is 30 he’s done after this season. Mcguire offers speed but hasn’t found a role worth talking about.

Thats a lot of question marks and band aids. Not any for sure great players with us going forward for a few years.

Crowell isn't necessarily a bandaid.  Got look at his numbers compared to the rest of the league.  Not saying he's a top 10 back, but he's consistently produced top 10 numbers. 

45 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Crowell isn't necessarily a bandaid.  Got look at his numbers compared to the rest of the league.  Not saying he's a top 10 back, but he's consistently produced top 10 numbers. 

I said I like Crowell. But he’s in essence on a 2yr deal. Hence why I said bandaid.

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Come on man. If you draft a guy you control them for 4yrs. A 1st for 5. You’re better than that.

Absolutely, I agree with you, I think a lot of Jet fans are going to be surprise by Crowell.

6 hours ago, Sapo28 said:

I agree with this.  I have been pounding the table to take a RB in the middle rounds every year.  The RB position seems like the position where you are most likely to stumble upon a superstar in the middle rounds.  3rd or 4th round seems like the sweet spot.  If you miss it isn't the big deal that it would be if you miss on a 1st or 2nd but you have a chance to get a player well above what you'd normally get in the 3rd or 4th.  I'm going to give the Jets a pass this year because even though there was a deep class they went off the board in record time.  8 RB's went before our 3rd round pick.  

For perspective 5 RB's went before pick #72 in 2017, only 2 in 2016, and 4 in 2015.  I think the Jets expected more of the guys to be there.  Either way I was really happy with the Shepard pick.

24 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Absolutely, I agree with you, I think a lot of Jet fans are going to be surprise by Crowell.

I agree 100% Crowell can be a top 10 RB that can be on the field for all 3 downs. He can run, catch, and block. He will put up over 1000 yards rushing and over 400-500 rec. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Come on man. If you draft a guy you control them for 4yrs. A 1st for 5. You’re better than that.

He’s talking about RBs on 2nd contracts I assume which is true for the most part.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

He’s talking about RBs on 2nd contracts I assume which is true for the most part.

And that’s my point and he’s therefor proving it for me then. We don’t draft RBs in the draft of any significance. Every time this team has been good we had a good RB. You can’t ignore offense yearly I te draft and wonder why the offense sucks. You can’t throw Darnold out there with average guys and complain he doesn’t look like a franchise QB. We tart spending some 1st and 2nd rounders on offense and this team will change. We keep taking other teams rejects in FA and late round guys and Darnold will fail.

Macs been taking his shots at WR/TE, so I can’t fault him for that, I still hate the draft day trades from last year, I just want to see more emphasis on the offensive line. We can’t afford any significant injuries but I’d like to start taking offensive linemen before round 5. 

Archived