1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

I like that they’ve raves about that he doesn’t make mistakes multiple times. He seems to learn from a poor decision or read. Which is a great quality. Coaches love coachabke players. And he seems exactly that. Not sure he’s our Week 1 starter. But based on the staffs words I think we see him sooner rather than later.

I still think Sam is one of the best QB to come out in the last 5 or 6 years. He is always trying to get better and is very professional on and off the field. I NEVER get excited about a rookie QB but this guy should bring a lot of wins to this team and maybe a Super Bowl win. I see his ceiling as Drew Brees type of guy and the floor as a Joe Flacco. I just hope he does not have a career like Rivers who is really good but never can get in the playoffs deep. 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:08 AM, GangGreen420 said:

Yeah still comes down to the trenches and the lack of resources Mac has invested there is my biggest gripe with him. Namely with draft picks.This season should make things pretty clear though which direction they need to go. I don’t know who’s out there in FA next year and I hear there’s good linemen in the draft but that would be a top priority if it’s a clear need.

Maybe they gel and really improve with a center who actually belongs in the NFL, but the priority this next off season needs to be focused on helping Darnold succeed in year 2. Maybe a move needs to be made   if Q isn’t the same or Robby pulls a Robby. Itd be nice if Kearse could replicate what he did last year. Not expecting too much out of Pryor honestly, and I never really liked the Stewart pick to begin with but Hansen could be come a player. If not try to sign a mid level FA next year or draft one. But there’s enough there this year assuming the offensive line can play “average” for Darnold to look good. 

It is hard to argue with what you said, after all is said and done you are correct it is all comes down to the trenches. With the cap money we will have next season we could go after a top O lineman on the offensive side, and a pass rushing lineman on the defensive side.

9 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I still think Sam is one of the best QB to come out in the last 5 or 6 years. He is always trying to get better and is very professional on and off the field. I NEVER get excited about a rookie QB but this guy should bring a lot of wins to this team and maybe a Super Bowl win. I see his ceiling as Drew Brees type of guy and the floor as a Joe Flacco. I just hope he does not have a career like Rivers who is really good but never can get in the playoffs deep. 

I see a Romo type career for Darnold. Juts hopefully with playoff wins. And I think Darnold has that quality to perform when its a big stage. I think in 2 full seasons he will be our guy hands down with little questions.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I see a Romo type career for Darnold. Juts hopefully with playoff wins. And I think Darnold has that quality to perform when its a big stage. I think in 2 full seasons he will be our guy hands down with little questions.

Sam Darnold > Aaron Rodgers' career

I still can't believe he didn't go 1st overall, he has all the qualities of a 1st overall pick. The fumbling issues can be corrected, but his raw talent is special and he has that desire to be great. This is the most talented QB we have drafted. 

Hackenberg was not ruined by the Jets, he was always trash. He was a waste of a draft pick, idk why he went so high cause it was obvious he would be trash. He was garbage in college and garbage in the NFL. I hate how  people act like the Jets didn't give him a shot, maybe its just cause he was that bad and a reason why no one wants him. 

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I still can't believe he didn't go 1st overall, he has all the qualities of a 1st overall pick. The fumbling issues can be corrected, but his raw talent is special and he has that desire to be great. This is the most talented QB we have drafted. 

Hackenberg was not ruined by the Jets, he was always trash. He was a waste of a draft pick, idk why he went so high cause it was obvious he would be trash. He was garbage in college and garbage in the NFL. I hate how  people act like the Jets didn't give him a shot, maybe its just cause he was that bad and a reason why no one wants him. 

While I don’t fully disagree with you... you can’t call a guy that didn’t take a meaningful snap garbage. They have to get a shot in the regular reason before you say they’re garbage. The FO and staff messed up with him. That’s a fact. They took him in the 2nd round and then never played him in 2 seasons we weren’t good. They should have atleast played him 4 games or so, so we could actually see what he has. There’s only so much a guy can do in practice.

It really doesn’t matter anymore since he’s gone. But the staff is partially to blame for his career. 

On 6/16/2018 at 3:13 PM, Bobby816 said:

While I don’t fully disagree with you... you can’t call a guy that didn’t take a meaningful snap garbage. They have to get a shot in the regular reason before you say they’re garbage. The FO and staff messed up with him. That’s a fact. They took him in the 2nd round and then never played him in 2 seasons we weren’t good. They should have atleast played him 4 games or so, so we could actually see what he has. There’s only so much a guy can do in practice.

It really doesn’t matter anymore since he’s gone. But the staff is partially to blame for his career. 

Good God no they aren't.  He was so bad on a team desperate for a QB and couldn't even get a snap.  I mean we continued to turn to Bryce Petty over him.  How in the world are the Jets coaches to blame?  What is one thing they did that hurt his development?  He lasted a week in OAK before they cut him because he was probably that bad.  Dude pointed the finger at his college coaches for his struggles and then pointed his finger at the Jets coaches for his struggles.  Time to look in the mirror Hack.  Throwing him out their on the last game to get his feet wet wasn't changing his career trajectory.  It irks me when people try to defend this guy for his struggles because he is young and has a great arm.  Guy might not ever take a real NFL snap on any team, that is not the Jets coaches fault.  They babied him and tried to develop him for 2 years and he just couldn't "hack it".  Yes pun intended. 

20 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Good God no they aren't.  He was so bad on a team desperate for a QB and couldn't even get a snap.  I mean we continued to turn to Bryce Petty over him.  How in the world are the Jets coaches to blame?  What is one thing they did that hurt his development?  He lasted a week in OAK before they cut him because he was probably that bad.  Dude pointed the finger at his college coaches for his struggles and then pointed his finger at the Jets coaches for his struggles.  Time to look in the mirror Hack.  Throwing him out their on the last game to get his feet wet wasn't changing his career trajectory.  It irks me when people try to defend this guy for his struggles because he is young and has a great arm.  Guy might not ever take a real NFL snap on any team, that is not the Jets coaches fault.  They babied him and tried to develop him for 2 years and he just couldn't "hack it".  Yes pun intended. 

He wasn’t given opportunity is my point. You talk about how bad he is. And you’re basing that on what? I assume his preseason action from a year ago? Look I’m not saying he is/was good. I’m saying it’s a guess to say he’s awful when in fact he never took a snap for us. Your guess might be right that he’s awful. But it’s a guess. My point is that we will never know, bc he never got a snap. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

He wasn’t given opportunity is my point. You talk about how bad he is. And you’re basing that on what? I assume his preseason action from a year ago? Look I’m not saying he is/was good. I’m saying it’s a guess to say he’s awful when in fact he never took a snap for us. Your guess might be right that he’s awful. But it’s a guess. My point is that we will never know, bc he never got a snap. 

His opportunity is/was the practice field. If he couldn't make things work out when he's got a non-contact jersey (behind Josh McCown and Bryce Petty) what makes you think he could in a real game? (reiterating Rockice)

I loved the prospect of Hack. I remained positive up until he got cut that he could some how contribute. His stint with Oakland just shows he's not worth the investment. Not to mention he's now a free agent and is unsigned at the most valuable position.   

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He was given the most reps in training camp.  Starts in the NFL aren't handed out just because it's your turn to get a shot.  I think the fact that he never earned 1 regular season snap on one of the most QB starved teams in NFL history, was cut, and lasted barely any time on his next team, is enough to infer that he was garbage.  Oh also he was garbage in College too which is like the NFL, but easier in every way.  

I’m not disagreeing that he was probably garbage. But we don’t know that. Bc we never saw him play. That’s be like us calling Leggett garbage. He’s never taken a snap, so we don’t know. Preseason isn’t regular season. It’s a back and forth argument. He’s going against backups but also playing with backups. It would have been nice to atleast see him play in a game or 2 to see what he was. And that’s where I think the staff fell shy. The last 4 games of both of his season were pointless from a Win or Loss standpoint. He should’ve played. It’s a pointless debate bc he isn’t here anymore. I just think calling a player that never took a snap garbage isn’t accurate.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m not disagreeing that he was probably garbage. But we don’t know that. Bc we never saw him play. That’s be like us calling Leggett garbage. He’s never taken a snap, so we don’t know. Preseason isn’t regular season. It’s a back and forth argument. He’s going against backups but also playing with backups. It would have been nice to atleast see him play in a game or 2 to see what he was. And that’s where I think the staff fell shy. The last 4 games of both of his season were pointless from a Win or Loss standpoint. He should’ve played. It’s a pointless debate bc he isn’t here anymore. I just think calling a player that never took a snap garbage isn’t accurate.

Season ending injury is a reason to not see the field. 

Being a garbage player is not a reason to see the field. 

Archived