1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

The coaching staff and front office saw him every day in practice. We also saw him in spring practices and saw him in preseason games. There’s nothing else we need to see.

The Raiders cut him after 4 weeks. That’s all they needed to see to make a decision.

19 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He wasn’t given opportunity is my point. You talk about how bad he is. And you’re basing that on what? I assume his preseason action from a year ago? Look I’m not saying he is/was good. I’m saying it’s a guess to say he’s awful when in fact he never took a snap for us. Your guess might be right that he’s awful. But it’s a guess. My point is that we will never know, bc he never got a snap. 

You aren't given opportunities, you earn them.  All he had to do was show something in practice/preseason and he likely would have been given a chance that's how desperate the Jets were.  They didn't draft him in round 2 to sabotage his career and hide him on the bench.  The preseason is supposed to be easier, vanilla defense, backup players, no game planning.  Petty, Geno, Sanchez etc all flashed some semblance of talent/understanding of the QB position in the preseason yet Hack struggled immensely.  

It doesn't get easier in the regular season it gets harder.  It's time for everyone to wrap their head around how bad he really was.  I was all in on him and wanted him to succeed so bad but eventually reality set in.  I feel like some people just think that if he went out their for a game or two something magically would have happened when in reality it would have been just another embarrassment to the franchise that has a long list of them already.

I'm glad we cut bait when we did and the joke doesn't have to continue for another season.   

I agree with Gruden. Hack is a guy that needs to be in a minor league setting. If the XFL comes out and is used like a minor league setting then guys like this might develop. In 2011 when the union told the NFL to cut back on hitting and practices the product on the field started to drop. Some of these guys it will take years for them to develop and have the game slow down. This is why the QB spot is so hard to fill. There is only about 10 real starting QB. Hack is only 23 and could be a 5th year senior this year instead of the NFL. He lost all that development time. I want to see better QB play and the only way we will see this is if the NFL and the union change the rule or another league like the XFL is made to develop guys that can come in the NFL at 26 or 27 and be a really good starter. 

I have some good and bad with Sam Darnold.

The Bad

Why has he not signed his rookie contract yet?

Why did he drop to 3 when the Browns or the Giants should have taken him if he is that good?

He has had a lot of turnovers in his last college year.

The Good

The throws a very good ball with plenty of arm strength. 

He has the ideal size for a QB

He just turned 21 so this kid could be with the jets for maybe 15-20 years

He has shown a lot of promise during camp. 

Sam seems to do really well of the field and with the NEW YORK media.

In the end we got what all the jets fans were screaming  last year "Suck for Sam"

Sidenote: I think the trade that we made with the Colts was a great one and this trade could go down as the best trade in Jets history. 

9 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I have some good and bad with Sam Darnold.

The Bad

Why has he not signed his rookie contract yet?

Why did he drop to 3 when the Browns or the Giants should have taken him if he is that good?

He has had a lot of turnovers in his last college year.

The Good

The throws a very good ball with plenty of arm strength. 

He has the ideal size for a QB

He just turned 21 so this kid could be with the jets for maybe 15-20 years

He has shown a lot of promise during camp. 

Sam seems to do really well of the field and with the NEW YORK media.

In the end we got what all the jets fans were screaming  last year "Suck for Sam"

Sidenote: I think the trade that we made with the Colts was a great one and this trade could go down as the best trade in Jets history. 

To answer your “Bad” questions you have about him...

1. He’ll sign his rookie contract. There’s no doubt. With a pay scale now... there’s no dealing really going on. It’s pretty much a set price. For example Adams didn’t sign until mid July last year.

2. Clearly the Browns preferred Baker for whatever reason. I throughout the whole draft process disliked Baker, so I was happy he was gone by we picked. And for the Giants, they clearly see this team as a win now team. Barkley does that for them. They didn’t want to use a 1st Rounder quite yet on a QB.

3. His turnover numbers were higher than we’d all like. Most of what he did though is correctable. His fumbles are easy to fix. I have no worries about that. I think that was fixed before we drafted him with offseason training. As far as his INTs go I think if you look at his numbers you will see a guy that was just trying to do too much. In 2016 he was actually one of the best QBs in the nation for turnovers bc he trusted his teammates. USC had a lot of guys leave last year and Sam I think thought he had to do too much. When you look at his numbers as the season progressed his turnovers went down. Bc he trusted his teammates more and didn’t try and do it all himself. In the NFL obviously he will have talent that he will trust, so I think those turnover issues will be easy fixes.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:54 PM, Bobby816 said:

To answer your “Bad” questions you have about him...

1. He’ll sign his rookie contract. There’s no doubt. With a pay scale now... there’s no dealing really going on. It’s pretty much a set price. For example Adams didn’t sign until mid July last year.

2. Clearly the Browns preferred Baker for whatever reason. I throughout the whole draft process disliked Baker, so I was happy he was gone by we picked. And for the Giants, they clearly see this team as a win now team. Barkley does that for them. They didn’t want to use a 1st Rounder quite yet on a QB.

3. His turnover numbers were higher than we’d all like. Most of what he did though is correctable. His fumbles are easy to fix. I have no worries about that. I think that was fixed before we drafted him with offseason training. As far as his INTs go I think if you look at his numbers you will see a guy that was just trying to do too much. In 2016 he was actually one of the best QBs in the nation for turnovers bc he trusted his teammates. USC had a lot of guys leave last year and Sam I think thought he had to do too much. When you look at his numbers as the season progressed his turnovers went down. Bc he trusted his teammates more and didn’t try and do it all himself. In the NFL obviously he will have talent that he will trust, so I think those turnover issues will be easy fixes.

As much as I was a big Rosen guy, I do agree 100%,  the  Colt trade will be the biggest trade by far in Jet history if Darnold, pans out like most of us think. As a Jet fan since their first game, I can't think of one trade that is bigger and better than the move up to the #3 pick in the draft, to get our franchise QB.

I still think Rosen will be better, but Darnold will be good enough for us not to stress about it. With Sam's ability to move in the pocket when plays break down, him and Anderson are going to make a great combo. 

7 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I still think Rosen will be better, but Darnold will be good enough for us not to stress about it. With Sam's ability to move in the pocket when plays break down, him and Anderson are going to make a great combo. 

I think Rosen has a better set up than Darnold on offense. A QBs success earkundoesnt always mean they’re better. I mean was Sánchez better than Stafford bc he succeeded early? I think bc we have so many holes on offense (that we hopefully address big time the next couple off seasons) it will take a couple seasons to get the ball really rolling with Darnold. Which is ok... bc he’ll still be 23 then, have a good amount of starts already and it’s not like our offense is God awful... it just needs work talent wise.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think Rosen has a better set up than Darnold on offense. A QBs success earkundoesnt always mean they’re better. I mean was Sánchez better than Stafford bc he succeeded early? I think bc we have so many holes on offense (that we hopefully address big time the next couple off seasons) it will take a couple seasons to get the ball really rolling with Darnold. Which is ok... bc he’ll still be 23 then, have a good amount of starts already and it’s not like our offense is God awful... it just needs work talent wise.

I mean the only thing AZ has better than us is David Johnson and Larry, OL and WR 2-6 aren’t better than ours

Archived