1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

Gonna head this off at the pass; Sam is still going to be great. He played terrible against the Browns and nearly all of our offensive struggles are on him. He was wildly inaccurate, unable to make reads, and forcing throws he knew would never make it in - but that's just one game. Against the Dolphins and against the Lions he was poised and willing to sling it. One thing I want to see more from him are long drives. So far, he hasn't been able to walk from 20 to 20. He's got room to grow but he's got the smarts and I can't wait to see him bounce back with 10 days for Jax (a real NFL test).

Jesus ******* Christ he looked like he had never played he game before....horrendous game and horrendous play calling. 

Got to hope he will use these nights to aid his development but my god some of the errrors are alarming I don’t care what anyone says. 

37 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Jesus ******* Christ he looked like he had never played he game before....horrendous game and horrendous play calling. 

Got to hope he will use these nights to aid his development but my god some of the errrors are alarming I don’t care what anyone says. 

I saw a lot of SO CAL games last year, and he had games where he look like he did last night. We all know coming into the season our O line was one of the worst if not the worst line in the NFL. But I never thought it would be this bad.

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

Complete overreaction.

I thought Darnold look pretty good the first half. Remember guys you are talking about a rookie QB who had a very limited time to study film and game plan. This is why I have Thursday night games when your team is on the road. You have a MASSIVE disadvantage. You only have 3 and half days before the kickoff that night and you spend one day traveling and getting into your hotel. Having all these limits I think He did pretty well. The problem that killed us was the penalties. 

4 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I thought Darnold look pretty good the first half. Remember guys you are talking about a rookie QB who had a very limited time to study film and game plan. This is why I have Thursday night games when your team is on the road. You have a MASSIVE disadvantage. You only have 3 and half days before the kickoff that night and you spend one day traveling and getting into your hotel. Having all these limits I think He did pretty well. The problem that killed us was the penalties. 

I doubt they took a day to travel or even booked a hotel. Cleveland is like an hour flight away. But yeah, it was still a short week against a tough defense for a rookie QB, but then you look at Mayfield and all the excuses go out the window.

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

I doubt they took a day to travel or even booked a hotel. Cleveland is like an hour flight away. But yeah, it was still a short week against a tough defense for a rookie QB, but then you look at Mayfield and all the excuses go out the window.

They game plan was against Taylor not Mayfield. Also there is no film on Mayfield so we will see what Mayfield does when NFL D can game plan with him under center. 

5 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

They game plan was against Taylor not Mayfield. Also there is no film on Mayfield so we will see what Mayfield does when NFL D can game plan with him under center. 

We were already close to exposing him. He had two fumbles roll his way (one recovered by his OL and the other nullified by a penalty) and a dropped INT. We just never made him pay for any of his mistakes.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

LOL please stop with that.  Mayfield stood back there like he was Tom Brady window shopping for shoes.  We went conservative with 4 man rushes and zone defense and he picked us apart.  He had all day to throw that second half.  Such an overreaction just like you probably did after Darnold's first game.  Darnold is going to be the MVP of the league after week 1, then was the youngest to throw for 300 yards in a game.  Now he what should be benched for McCown?

I'm going to have to stay away until next week if this is the way this board is going to be with the week to week overreactions.  Mayfield looked great no doubt, not as great if Middleton catches a ball thrown right to him and Mo doesn't hold on the 2 point conversion.  

Darnold is going to be great, nothing about last night or the first game in DET made me change my mind.  Not getting too high or low week to week because it's a waste.  Darnold is a franchise QB, enough said.

Until we can get a competent OL, HC, pass rush we are going to blow leads and lose close games.  CLE is a good football team, we can all laugh about the winless streak and all but if you watched the first three weeks they should be 3-0 right now if they just played Mayfield and had a kicker.  Even the terrible coaching of Hue can't stop the talent they have.  They have studs on every level of defense, STUDS!!.  They held Drew Brees to 21 points in the dome, they are no joke.

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

LOL please stop with that.  Mayfield stood back there like he was Tom Brady window shopping for shoes.  We went conservative with 4 man rushes and zone defense and he picked us apart.  He had all day to throw that second half.  Such an overreaction just like you probably did after Darnold's first game.  Darnold is going to be the MVP of the league after week 1, then was the youngest to throw for 300 yards in a game.  Now he what should be benched for McCown?

I'm going to have to stay away until next week if this is the way this board is going to be with the week to week overreactions.  Mayfield looked great no doubt, not as great if Middleton catches a ball thrown right to him and Mo doesn't hold on the 2 point conversion.  

Darnold is going to be great, nothing about last night or the first game in DET made me change my mind.  Not getting too high or low week to week because it's a waste.  Darnold is a franchise QB, enough said.

Until we can get a competent OL, HC, pass rush we are going to blow leads and lose close games.  CLE is a good football team, we can all laugh about the winless streak and all but if you watched the first three weeks they should be 3-0 right now if they just played Mayfield and had a kicker.  Even the terrible coaching of Hue can't stop the talent they have.  They have studs on every level of defense, STUDS!!.  They held Drew Brees to 21 points in the dome, they are no joke.

So Darnold gets a pass because he faced a competent defensive coordinator? Nah. I never said he should be benched or that he isn't our guy once, but he has no excuses. I know he has the go-ahead to call plays at the line and he's still sticking with the run play with 8 defenders at the LOS.

5 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

THe defenses get harder in the next few weeks. Darnold might be great one day, but his rookie season is going to have more turnovers than mark sanchez...and that is scary.

you could be right, but don't forget Sanchez played on a much better team, that O line Sanchez had was outstanding with Woody, Moore, Mangold, Faneca, & Brick Ferguson.

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

THe defenses get harder in the next few weeks. Darnold might be great one day, but his rookie season is going to have more turnovers than mark sanchez...and that is scary.

This is unfortunately probably true. He just struggled against Miami and Cleveland. It’s going to be really rough against Jacksonville if he doesn’t make big time adjustments

Archived