1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

Really happy with this pick.  My #1 was Mayfield but my #1B was Darnold.  Only way I was taking Rosen was if they both went 1-2.

The USC thing does scare me but I think he comes off a little differently than a Sanchez did.  He seems way more blue collar than "sunshine".

Really pumped for training camp.  I want to see this kid out there improving day by day and ready to roll week 1.

Round 3 - Kerryon Johnson so we have a QB/RB duo to build around.

Still kinda stunned Mayfield was able to beat out three bigger guys. He better be Russel Wilson, but that alone is impressive. And the Jets probably had him at three too. Maybe it's not as simple as drafting the best specimen anymore, and how you interview matters.

So now that I sobered up after going to the draft last night... I like this pick a lot. I would have preferred Rosen, but still really like Darnold. Really a pick that makes sense, bc he is the safest pick with a high ceiling. Some think he’s peaked which I find odd. He’s really only played football for 3 years, so he’s far from peaked. He has a ton of traits to like. I see a better version of Tony Romo in him. Almost Andrew Luck type as well.

I think most of us wanted a fiery guy that would face up to the harsh New York media.

I find it hard getting excited for Darnold because of his comparably quiet demeanor to Rosen and Mayfield, but in all reality he was the most well rounded QB prospect and the best way to shut up the New York media is not to give them material but to play your game on the field. 

I wanted Darnold going into last season because he was the prospect. Hype surrounding Rosen and Mayfield grew due to their performance and their personas while Darnold dwindled because he wasn't playing at the same elite level.

USC under Darnold was 22-6 (2 Seasons),  UCLA under Rosen was 18-20 (3 Seasons), OU under Mayfield was 34-6 (3 Seasons), Wyoming under Allen was 16-11 (2 Seasons). Elite performance or not lead Darnold lead a winning team where Rosen couldn't pull the load. 

If we had the first pick in the draft maybe we would have drafted Mayfield but that would have costed us too much. We made a risky trade and got the best QB prospect in the draft and that was the smart pick because he has proven that he is a winner more than Rosen has. 

Lets not forget his grand dad was **** Hammer. I can get hyped for that!

Edit- why am I getting censored on someone’s actual name? Quit being a Richard.

Fwiw, my cousin says we should be thanking Dave Gettleman (she used to work for him in Carolina). Her words: “Dave made a lot of enemies last night”

Why? 

“He wouldn’t even talk to teams that were calling.

Told Rita to ignore all incoming calls.” 

When I watch Darnold play, I saw a team with a poor OL where Darnold had to escape pressure and make difficult throws often. I saw WRs who did not create the biggest separation and him throwing guys open or hitting tight spots.

I had Darnold as the top rated guy in this class, least questions. Hes a guy who will come in and work, hes only 20 years old, he has no durability concerns, production concerns, or character concerns. He has a lot of upside, I see Andrew Luck type talent with him.

When I watched Mayfield I saw a guy who struggled vs NFL type coverages. Usually threw to wide open guys, played in a spread out simplified college offense. Maybe he'll be good, but he won't see the middle of the field. 

I had Darnold as 1 and Rosen as 2. I loved Rosen as a prospect as well, figured he was more likely for us cause I had Darnold 1st overall. Rosen just looks like the elite QBs in the league, he has amazing footwork and throws a nice ball. I love how he places the ball. Problem with him is durability issues, I think his attitude is overrated. What puts Darnold above him really is that Darnold is very athletic and has the ability to escape pressure. Darnold also has less questions. But I see both of them being good QBs in the NFL.

Josh Allen could go either way. Can't deny the talent, hopefully he busts since hes a Bill. 

I do not see  Mayfield  being a star, I never wanted him. I wanted Darnold or Rosen,. Glad we got Darnold and screw the talk about USC QBs never succeeding.That means nothing, Darnold clearly is a different prospect than a Sanchez. Darnold is much more talented and seems like he won't have off field distractions like Sanchez. 

41 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Fwiw, my cousin says we should be thanking Dave Gettleman (she used to work for him in Carolina). Her words: “Dave made a lot of enemies last night”

Why? 

“He wouldn’t even talk to teams that were calling.

Told Rita to ignore all incoming calls.” 

That is crazy to here. Can't believe they were that committed to Barkley. Good for them for sticking to their board. It definitely allowed us to pick from the lot as opposed to having to settle for a guy. 

Macc got hammered for the trade up. Looks pretty good to me. Let's go offense the rest of the way. We have to build the team around Darnold. 

53 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

To think we could have stayed put and got Rosen and still have 3 picks today.

Hindsight is 20-20. I personally liked Rosen better, but I wouldn't want our front office to get cute. Much happier that they were aggressive and landed the #1 player on their board. Regardless of name, that's a victory for the organization until proven otherwise.

Archived