1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

5 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Why isn’t it true?

Everything would’ve played out differently. Let’s say If the Colts stay at 3, they could trade down with Buffalo who wants Darnold over Allen. Arizona could see that we want Rosen and jump is at 4 or 5 to take him. 

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

Everything would’ve played out differently. Let’s say If the Colts stay at 3, they could trade down with Buffalo who wants Darnold over Allen. Arizona could see that we want Rosen and jump is at 4 or 5 to take him. 

Colts weren’t interested in moving back that far.

If Bills wanted Darnold then they would have gotten him at 2

Cardinals had capital to move from 15 to 10 but not 15 to 5

All things point to us being able to stay at 6 and get Rosen plus our 3 second rounders. HOWEVER I’m happy with Darnold and believe in this kid. 

Colts weren’t interested in moving back that far.

If Bills wanted Darnold then they would have gotten him at 2

Cardinals had capital to move from 15 to 10 but not 15 to 5

All things point to us being able to stay at 6 and get Rosen plus our 3 second rounders. HOWEVER I’m happy with Darnold and believe in this kid. 

You’re overanalyzing it. Fact is, if somehow he did get swept up, most of us would’ve been a lot more pissed with Allen at 6 than spending three two’s to move up at get Darnold. 

7 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

You’re overanalyzing it. Fact is, if somehow he did get swept up, most of us would’ve been a lot more pissed with Allen at 6 than spending three two’s to move up at get Darnold. 

And again, you can't properly evaluate this trade for another 3-4 years. All you can know right now is that the majority of teams had Darnold as the #1 QB and he was, in fact, the number one QB on our board.

11 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

One I’m not over analyzing anything, that’s exactly how it played out.

Two you cannot use “fact” and “if” in the same statement 

Three we aren’t pissed we moved up just saying the way things played out we could have stayed at 6. Two QBs were drafted prior to our original draft spot along with 3 of the top guys projected(Barkley, Chubb and Nelson) this is exactly what most of us thought would happen only difference we expected Darnold and Rosen to be the two QBs. I’m happy with the trade BTW.

6 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

And again, you can't properly evaluate this trade for another 3-4 years. All you can know right now is that the majority of teams had Darnold as the #1 QB and he was, in fact, the number one QB on our board.

And he was the right pick. I doubt anyone is arguing that. Just saying the possibility of having Rosen plus our 3 second round picks does stand out to some of us. 

And he was the right pick. I doubt anyone is arguing that. Just saying the possibility of having Rosen plus our 3 second round picks does stand out to some of us. 

Not fair to play the hindsight game here.  It was the right move then and is still the right move now.

Fact is ARI liked Rosen enough to trade up BUF was in the hunt for a QB as well.  Both could have easily jumped us at 6 leaving us with only Allen at 6.  Arguing otherwise makes no sense.  Of coarse we'd never know but it easily could have left us with one QB at six and not our choice of the 3 and we were in no position to gamble.

Great trade by Mac.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

To think we could have stayed put and got Rosen and still have 3 picks today.

WAY OF BASE HERE.

The Jets made this trade way back in mid March and that changed the draft. If they did not make the trade you would of had a lot more moving parts that would have happened. 

Why are you so hung up on a guy that has had 2 major concussions, poor leadership and not giving it his all? He is also a guy that had a losing record and never carried his team anywhere. He also made just as many turnovers as Darnold. I'm just wondering.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Not fair to play the hindsight game here.  It was the right move then and is still the right move now.

Fact is ARI liked Rosen enough to trade up BUF was in the hunt for a QB as well.  Both could have easily jumped us at 6 leaving us with only Allen at 6.  Arguing otherwise makes no sense.  Of coarse we'd never know but it easily could have left us with one QB at six and not our choice of the 3 and we were in no position to gamble.

Great trade by Mac.

Who’s arguing? I haven’t used a single hypothetical I’m just saying with the way the board played out 2 QBs made it past 6. That likely does not change due to facts about Indy not wanting to move back that far, Bills wanting to keep both firsts, Arizona not having enough capital to jump that far. Those are all things that were reported early on.

6 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Who’s arguing? I haven’t used a single hypothetical I’m just saying with the way the board played out 2 QBs made it past 6. That likely does not change due to facts about Indy not wanting to move back that far, Bills wanting to keep both firsts, Arizona not having enough capital to jump that far. Those are all things that were reported early on.

I didn't say anything about arguing.  INDY was reported as possibly trading back from 6 again so whose to say BUF doesn't offer up enough for them to move back.  BUF wanted to keep both first but if they saw Darnold on the board at 3 maybe they wanted him more than Allen.  By all reports DEN was trading out of 5 until Chubb dropped maybe ARI gets desperate knowing we are taking Rosen at 6 and they really like him like they proved by taking him.

You can't say "likely" would have played out the same when it just as "likely" could have burned us too.  I personally had Rosen rated lower than Darnold and Mayfield and his injury history especially concussions and well to do family are major red flags.  I would still take Darnold over Rosen and three 2nds personally.

I prefer to get our guy instead of play the what if game especially when it comes to a franchise QB.

18 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I didn't say anything about arguing.  INDY was reported as possibly trading back from 6 again so whose to say BUF doesn't offer up enough for them to move back.  BUF wanted to keep both first but if they saw Darnold on the board at 3 maybe they wanted him more than Allen.  By all reports DEN was trading out of 5 until Chubb dropped maybe ARI gets desperate knowing we are taking Rosen at 6 and they really like him like they proved by taking him.

You can't say "likely" would have played out the same when it just as "likely" could have burned us too.  I personally had Rosen rated lower than Darnold and Mayfield and his injury history especially concussions and well to do family are major red flags.  I would still take Darnold over Rosen and three 2nds personally.

I prefer to get our guy instead of play the what if game especially when it comes to a franchise QB.

Buf doesn’t offer up enough because they refused too. That’s a fact.

Chubb to Denver is still in play, Nelson to Indy as well.

No team wanted to pay the price to move into the top 5. We were lucky we were at 6. In the end it all worked out though.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Hindsight is 20-20. I personally liked Rosen better, but I wouldn't want our front office to get cute. Much happier that they were aggressive and landed the #1 player on their board. Regardless of name, that's a victory for the organization until proven otherwise.

I by no means think we messed up by doing what we did. But like you said in hindsight we could have landed Rosen and still had high picks today and a 3rd. 

Archived