Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

On 8/4/2018 at 6:11 AM, buno67 said:

It’s half the big 10 and half the SEC

the one thing that makes about every big12 defense’s bad is just about every big12 team has a legit QB. So those offenses tend to not struggle.

you go to the SEC and it’s the opposite, only a handful of SEC teams have legit QBs. So you got teams going up against trash QBs a majority of a year and the yearly 1AA, school, so defeneses look good and have good stats. 

meh I don't know if I agree with this. As a defensive coach, watching these big 12 defenses makes me want to puke. They are poor schematically and always lack physicality. They build to combat the spread, but then get absolutely abused in the run game due to that compromise. They play a gambling style of defense instead of a "bend, don't break" style and it ends up kicking them in the nuts.

Yeah the QB play helps these Big 12 teams put up points, but it is not an excuse for the terrible defense in that conference.

Promising stuff, considering it's his first go round in an nfl game environment, even if it's just preseason and against backups. Few jitters with accuracy at times but that's to be expected getting acquainted to the speed of things etc.

I thought he looked greatly improved in terms of keeping his eyes downfield when moving, which suggests he has a good capacity for learning, though I would still like to see less of the movement and on the run plays. There's room for it within the game and at opportune moments as his skill set allows for it, but personally I don't think it's something you can expect a player of Baker's athleticism to make a living from as his primary method of choice when going against proper starting defenses. Leave that to Russell Wilson. Good thing is I am seeing some signs that there is a chance Baker can adapt to a consistent pocket game in time.

I am still worried about the enveloping of him in quickly collapsing pockets when he goes up against elite defenses, but we can cross that bridge when we get there. The important thing is that he didn't look utterly lost out there, and seems to have a natural enough feel for eyes downfield, get through progressions as fast as you can. That's a good sign for any rookie qb.

Keep it up Baker, and Cleveland... don't rush him in any time soon. We have Tyrod. Let Baker develop.

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

damn he played well. 

Hee Hee. 

Best part is he threw with some great anticipation.

look closer at his touchdown pass to Calloway. He threw the slant before Calloway even cleared the underneath LB

*Easier for me to post pictures through Twitter*

years past it seemed like the QBs would wait on the WR to clear to make the pass, leading to throwing the ball late and/or behind or allowing the defender to catch up and make a play on the ball. Baker knew that underneath LB had no chance of making a play on the ball and threw it with anticipation. 

I'll be honest, the thing I liked the best about how Baker played isn't how baker played at all.

I thought he looked really good.  Some passes dropped that will be caught down the road.

Didn't throw anything that I thought should have been picked.

But on top of all of that, Tyrod played better, and that's exactly what I was hoping to see.

I don't want the fan of Cleveland and especially the Media (i'm looking at you Mary Kay) to start calling for baker to start this year when it should be Taylors team...

On a side note, I really have no idea what Mary Kay is going to talk about when we have a steady QB....

2 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

I'll be honest, the thing I liked the best about how Baker played isn't how baker played at all.

I thought he looked really good.  Some passes dropped that will be caught down the road.

Didn't throw anything that I thought should have been picked.

But on top of all of that, Tyrod played better, and that's exactly what I was hoping to see.

I don't want the fan of Cleveland and especially the Media (i'm looking at you Mary Kay) to start calling for baker to start this year when it should be Taylors team...

On a side note, I really have no idea what Mary Kay is going to talk about when we have a steady QB....

The flip side of this is how long do you roll with Taylor?

He’s obviously not the “QBOTF”, so do we devote an entire season to a guy who likely walks at the end of the year?

Tyrod is capable of playing competently, but there’s a reason the Bills both benched him for Peterman as well as drafted Allen.  Of course that reason could just be stupidity, but you get my point.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m of the mindset that assuming you get average Tyrod, you roll with him until you have 7 losses. Obviously injuries aside.

This seems about right. I have a feeling that Hue, Gregg and Tyrod are all gone next year.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The flip side of this is how long do you roll with Taylor?

He’s obviously not the “QBOTF”, so do we devote an entire season to a guy who likely walks at the end of the year?

Tyrod is capable of playing competently, but there’s a reason the Bills both benched him for Peterman as well as drafted Allen.  Of course that reason could just be stupidity, but you get my point.

I mean that certainly is a tough question.

On the one hand, you have a QB who brought a fairly talent less team to the playoffs in Buffalo last year.  Defensively were middle of the pack in points per game given up (18th), terrible in yards per game (26th), and their offense only really had LeShawn McCoy (no recieving weapons to speak of)...

I think he will do wonders for our team coming from a group that turned the ball over 16 times to a team that turned the ball over 41 times.

If it were me, I would want to make sure we sured up the line and got this receiving corp time to gel before I handed over the reigns.  Granted there are always extenuating circumstances that may lead to a change having to be made, but I don't make Baker the starting QB until after the season or until Taylor gets hurt.  I don't see a word where Taylor struggles SO bad that hes not keeping us in games, maybe not winning them, but keeping us in them, which is all we can ask for this year.

I think the harder question is of Taylor lights it up for us this year, going 9-7 or 10-6 throwing for 3500 yards and 25+ touchdowns, do we look to keep him or do we let him walk because we have baker behind him.  That is a decision I'm glad I don't have to make....

Archived