Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

Don't mean to take a stab but I have a feeling this will be yet another regret for Cleveland. Darnold was the choice here and easily the safest QB prospect. Mayfield is boom or bust, and probably more to the bust side...

Although one positive is the Browns kept Hue Jackson. Hue can make any QB look good if he has enough to work with on offense.

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Don't mean to take a stab but I have a feeling this will be yet another regret for Cleveland. Darnold was the choice here and easily the safest QB prospect. Mayfield is boom or bust, and probably more to the bust side...

Although one positive is the Browns kept Hue Jackson. Hue can make any QB look good if he has enough to work with on offense.

Not even close.  I have referred to Darnold as Mr. Mediocre for months now for a reason.  He is a very unique prospect in that his floor and his ceiling are almost identical, and that is mediocre.  He is what he is, and he will be what he is.  He won't be a bust, he will be just good enough to hang around for 8 to 10 years and never take his team to the promised land.  I see a middle of his career Chad Pennington with Darnold.

The most pro-ready prospect was Mayfield, he also has the 2nd highest ceiling behind Allen.  Arguably, Jackson's ceiling was close, but his floor and bust potential are also off the charts.

The only QB that could arguably have been a better pick was Allen, and that is strictly based on potential and ceiling.  He will need much longer to develop than Mayfield, and has a higher bust potential.

45 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don't know if I can imagine a second paragraph that would so clearly hurt the potential credibility of a first paragraph.

21 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I don't know if I can imagine a second paragraph that would so clearly hurt the potential credibility of a first paragraph.

Yeah good point.

I personally had Darnold and Mayfield about equal everything considered but Mayfield seems less likely to bust because at worst I see him a less athletic more arm talented Alex Smith and that is far from a bust.

As far as Hue, yeah, no. History doesn't show him elevating any QB. Dalton had one really good year under him but that appears to be more of a coincidence than anything.

21 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I hope you’re right. With that said, you are making a statement that he’s proven detractors wrong about his character before his first off-season has even taken off and the pads have come on. Both sides would be premature making any empirical statements here. 

I have emphatically stated my belief that Baker was the best QB in the draft since October. Too late for me to put that horse back in the barn. 

21 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If you are talking about Joe Thomas I agree with your sentiment 100%. If you are talking about me I agree with it 110%, which isn't a real percent in this case and seems appropriate.

I was talking about one and the same arent you JOE THOMAS

i

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Rather than clutter up the Nick Chubb thread, let's resume this conversation...

Mayfield is a smooth operator.  His responses were sharp, well-researched, and to the point.  He didn't back down, and he wasn't a d-bag.  Kudos.

Fair analysis. This far the only thing I don’t like is his intense marketing campaign. He has made a documentary, the Brett Farve photo. He has a marketing team. He is guna make money off his image which he has a right too, I’d just prefer it was year 3, not pre year 1.

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Fair analysis. This far the only thing I don’t like is his intense marketing campaign. He has made a documentary, the Brett Farve photo. He has a marketing team. He is guna make money off his image which he has a right too, I’d just prefer it was year 3, not pre year 1.

His stock is high now, strike while the iron is hot.

What was JFF’a brand worth year 3?

36 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

His stock is high now, strike while the iron is hot.

What was JFF’a brand worth year 3?

, psyche meds commercial?

I don’t blame him, it’s just not my preference. I prefer my qb’s like Andrew Luck, especially early. 

Its a minor, not a major, prefer it to swan rides and cocaines use. In that order.

Archived