Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

Just watched Darnold’s highlights from last night. I didn’t see anything special. He had one really good throw and that’s about it. Thought Mayfield looked better. 

And @buno67 his throwing motion is fine. He gets the ball out pretty quick despite the “hitch”. 

2 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Just watched Darnold’s highlights from last night. I didn’t see anything special. He had one really good throw and that’s about it. Thought Mayfield looked better. 

And @buno67 his throwing motion is fine. He gets the ball out pretty quick despite the “hitch”. 

For a rookie playing in his first NFL game as long as he doesn't look bad it is a positive. Neither has to be successful right away to be good.

2 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Rewatching all his throws just now. I agree he didnt really do anything special. It was a lot of dink and dunk. He avg 5 yards a pass, where Baker was around 10 yards. I would say Darnold had 2-3 really good throws but he also missed a deep ball pretty bad and should have had a pick. 

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We’re debating Baker v Sam after week 1 of the preseason their rookie seasons?

Oh boy....

Why is anyone surprised? The top two QBs drafted will always be debated as long as they are both good. Our issue could be if they weren't constantly compared to one another because that means one probably didn't make it.

19 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Why is anyone surprised? The top two QBs drafted will always be debated as long as they are both good. Our issue could be if they weren't constantly compared to one another because that means one probably didn't make it.

I get that, but this is one step above comparing them after each practice throw.

Preseason means next to nothing.

I get they’ll always be compared, but let’s at least have a bit of perspective here.

3 hours ago, mistakey said:

You also wanted him to start from day one regardless because he was touted as being more ready right now than Darnold

As I said, then he became a Brown and pretty quickly after that happened, I don’t really care when he starts, just be good and don’t bust.

yeah he should be more ready right now than the other rookie QBs but now that he actually went to the Browns, why would I want him to do it if he can’t yet. I expect a #1 pick to be able to play day one to be honest, but if he can’t do it yet, so be it.

I don’t get it... it’s as if you want me to hate on him, root for him to fail or something lol. You got the qb you wanted, pretty much everyone is getting on board with the guy regardless of how they felt before the draft or how they still feel now.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well people are still mad that we don't have him. Tyrod out gained him in 5 attempts compared to 18. We're probably going to be okay with our QBs.

Just chill a bit man. It’s a preseason game. Kizer looked good in one of those. Mayfield and Darnold could both be great. Both could be ****. One could be great and the other could be ****.

It’s way too early to try and point score. Just root for the one that plays for the Browns and forget about the one that plays for the Jets. That’s what I’ve done. And I’m the one who didn’t get the result I wanted from the draft.

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get that, but this is one step above comparing them after each practice throw.

I get they’ll always be compared, but let’s at least have a bit of perspective here.

sure.  not like baker fans brought up darnold out of the blue...

Darnold looked OK. Lotta short throws.

For some perspective, Darnold had two more completions than Baker for 116 less yards.

At 212 yards on 11 completions, that's just shy of 20 yds per completion, which is kinda insane. Speaks to that downfield mentality he has, which absolutely enthralls me.

EDIT - For the record, we all knew Bake was the more NFL Ready QB. While he clearly outperformed Darnold in week one of a preseason game against a seemingly lesser defense, none of this really means much in the grand scheme of things.

EDIT EDIT - Also for the record, It has been 2 days since Baker's debut and I've found tempering my excitement to be an extremely difficult task.

BAKER BABY!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That's like telling us to stop posting until September.  Don't put that on us.  Jerk.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Then why didn't Kessler start last year? Had a promising rookie campaign.  In fact, he lost his job to 2 other QBs before preseason even started and 3 by the time it ended (until the Osweiler trade) so it all means something, at least to Hue.

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

As I said, then he became a Brown and pretty quickly after that happened, I don’t really care when he starts, just be good and don’t bust.

yeah he should be more ready right now than the other rookie QBs but now that he actually went to the Browns, why would I want him to do it if he can’t yet. I expect a #1 pick to be able to play day one to be honest, but if he can’t do it yet, so be it.

I don’t get it... it’s as if you want me to hate on him, root for him to fail or something lol. You got the qb you wanted, pretty much everyone is getting on board with the guy regardless of how they felt before the draft or how they still feel now.

I mean, really, as MBTL said, Darnold was brought up in the Mayfield thread. Maybe we shouldn't talk about Darnold in this thread if it is going to upset people.

Archived