Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

In other news around the league... the Jets have gone completely insane as they are planning to start Sam Darnold from day 1 despite having Teddy Bridgewater and Josh McCown on the team...:

On Offense:

--they have no OLine at all... Josh McCown got beat the hell up last year...

--No primary Rusher (Isaiah Crowell, Bilal Powell)

--No real WR threat (injured Robby Anderson, Onunwu, injured TP, Jermaine Kearse

--No TE pass catcher threat (Chris Herndon, Clive Wafford)

-----

Sounds to me like they want to ruin the good King of San Clemente...

Doesn't make much sense... however, they are spinning the "he's the best QB out there" angle... I doubt he's been that as rookie

Rosen... Darnold.. and Josh Allen will all start by week 5....

Baker probably won't see time until after week 10 ...

I doubt if Lamar Jackson sees any real time at all this season unless Flacco hype is just b.s.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

In other news around the league... the Jets have gone completely insane as they are planning to start Sam Darnold from day despite having Teddy Bridgewater and Josh McCown on the team...:

On Offense:

--they have no OLine at all... Josh McCown got beat the hell up last year...

--No primary Rusher (Isaiah Crowell, Bilal Powell)

--No real WR threat (injured Robby Anderson, Onunwu, injured TP, Jermaine Kearse

--No TE pass catcher threat (Chris Herndon, Clive Wafford)

-----

Sounds to me like they want to ruin the good King of San Clemente...

Doesn't make much sense... however, they are spinning the "he's the best QB out there" angle... I doubt he's been that as rookie

Rosen... Darnold.. and Josh Allen will all start by week 5....

Baker probably won't see time until after week 10 ...

I doubt if Lamar Jackson sees any real time at all this season unless Flacco hype is just b.s.

Permaban

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Mind 

Bowles gotta keep that job man 

if he starts Darnold then even if it takes till late in the season Darnold wins some games they’re all good 

if they have him sit till later then once he gets in they lose that staff is gone 

I know man, but we all know he'll be even younger than Deshone Kizer was when he first started and that was historically one of the youngest QBs to ever start.

If there's an instance where a QB could exponentially benefit from starting, it's Darnold.... Why not put Teddy Bridgewater out there and wins some games.. then trade Teddy...

5 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I know man, but we all know he'll be even younger than Deshone Kizer was when he first started and that was historically one of the youngest QBs to ever start.

If there's an instance where a QB could exponentially benefit from not starting, it's Darnold.... Why not put Teddy Bridgewater out there and wins some games.. then trade Teddy...

Definitely agree. I didn't love Darnold in the draft, but only because I had other guys I loved more. He would've been my #1 QB last year over Trubs/Mahomes/Watson. So I want him to succeed. Heck, I want all the rookie guys to succeed, Rivers/Brady/Brees/Rofls are getting old. Matt Ryan and Rodgers isn't enough to hold down the fort. I want all these guys to go ham. So I'm with you on this move. So Teddy is fragile, so what? You have him on a one year deal! If he gets hurt, it's no skin off your back. And when healthy, as he is currently (at least as much as he will ever be after his knee disintegrated) he actually looks really stinkin' good. Why start a dude who, while having a ton of potential, desperately could use a year or two to learn how to play within the system as a  default and use his outside-of-structure skills as a backup rather than the other way around? Especially when the supporting cast is so very, very weak right now?

12 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Definitely agree. I didn't love Darnold in the draft, but only because I had other guys I loved more. He would've been my #1 QB last year over Trubs/Mahomes/Watson. So I want him to succeed. Heck, I want all the rookie guys to succeed, Rivers/Brady/Brees/Rofls are getting old. Matt Ryan and Rodgers isn't enough to hold down the fort. I want all these guys to go ham. So I'm with you on this move. So Teddy is fragile, so what? You have him on a one year deal! If he gets hurt, it's no skin off your back. And when healthy, as he is currently (at least as much as he will ever be after his knee disintegrated) he actually looks really stinkin' good. Why start a dude who, while having a ton of potential, desperately could use a year or two to learn how to play within the system as a  default and use his outside-of-structure skills as a backup rather than the other way around? Especially when the supporting cast is so very, very weak right now?

Yeah man... it doesn't make sense at all...

I find it hard to believe Darnold's outworked obsessive workers like Teddy and Josh...

I find it hard to believe he's been a leader like Teddy and Josh...

He doesn't have knowledge of the game or of NFL offense like that...

That leaves only 2 things that could it be:

1.) Maybe he's really outplayed them and the team would see it as a contradiction of competition if Teddy or Josh started, or more likely

2.) The dreaded from on high ownership dictate that Darnold plays to get the fans excited...

Either way... playing him early isn't in the best interest of their franchise...

This year's rookie's are going to be put in some difficult situations ..Rosen has it the worst as his defense can't take over at times like the Jets and Darnold...

Should be interesting to see how it all plays out...

Why is Hue not giving Baker any first team reps? He clearly should get some. Seems like Hue doesn’t want any part of a rookie qb again this season because his job is on the line. Which is understandable but come on, you should at least be sure that the best guy has won the job. Not even giving Baker a chance to compete.

17 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Why is Hue not giving Baker any first team reps? He clearly should get some. Seems like Hue doesn’t want any part of a rookie qb again this season because his job is on the line. Which is understandable but come on, you should at least be sure that the best guy has won the job. Not even giving Baker a chance to compete.

I honestly don't mind it.  It would do baker good to sit and learn the playbook more, and get more adjusted to the offence and the NFL in general. 

You used draft capital to go get Tyrod, he is and should be the starting QB, I wouldn't want anything, even a hot game or two in the pre-season to change that.

Make sure your offensive line is in a good place, and make sure all the players understand the new scheme before we throw Baker in there.

If Tyrod gets hurt? sure I would play baker, but until then, or until we are mathematically out of the playoffs,  I would let Tyrod prove himself...

12 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I have no problem with it.  The only time you "have" to give the 2nd guy reps with the 1st team is if the 1st guy is sucking. Tyrod has played well, and he is (by all accounts) mentally ahead of Mayfield at this point.  It's not like he's not learning, and there isn't much doubt who the better QB is (at least right now).

That said, I won't be surprised if Baker gets to start the last preseason game with a handful of starters.

22 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I have no problem with it.  The only time you "have" to give the 2nd guy reps with the 1st team is if the 1st guy is sucking. Tyrod has played well, and he is (by all accounts) mentally ahead of Mayfield at this point.  It's not like he's not learning, and there isn't much doubt who the better QB is (at least right now).

That said, I won't be surprised if Baker gets to start the last preseason game with a handful of starters.

I don’t hate it. I mean, I understand letting Baker learn quietly behind the scenes. But if Taylor gets hurt or struggles at some point this season, I would at least have liked Mayfield to have some experience with the first team against starting units.

Hopefully he gets a few series like that in preseason.

Archived