Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

50 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Frank, Sam, Eddie, Jerry, Bill, David, Joseph, Chester...

People who questions his abilities.

No questions on his arm strength, athleticism, accuracy in a vacuum. More than adequate in all those categories.

My question on his ability is and always has been primarily the pocket/pass rush debate. And like LetsGoBrownies says, let’s not go back there - I don’t want to write down reasons as to why a Browns #1 overall qb will fail etc.

I’m fully supporting him. No negativity. That was for the pre draft process only.

31 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

No questions on his arm strength, athleticism, accuracy in a vacuum. More than adequate in all those categories.

My question on his ability is and always has been primarily the pocket/pass rush debate. And like LetsGoBrownies says, let’s not go back there - I don’t want to write down reasons as to why a Browns #1 overall qb will fail etc.

I’m fully supporting him. No negativity. That was for the pre draft process only.

Is your avy a mug shot?

6 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Time for me to leave Sam in the past. Filed in the “what could have been?” cabinet.

Wish him the best with the Jets - still one of my top qb prospects ever, so I hope he does well as I enjoy watching him play and think he’s a good dude. He really wanted to play for us.

But it’s all about Baker. I’m not a hypocrite so I won’t pretend I’m sold on his ability as that would be very lame. But his personality and character... I suddenly like it a lot since he’s been a Brown. Unless he’s a fraud or the best athlete actor I’ve ever seen - this dude is focused and has mad confidence that honestly feels genuine and perfect for this version of the Browns. To the point where he’s openly acknowledging some of the early struggles he is having with the playbook, speed of the game etc. Normal shh that basically every rookie qb ever should feel.

I was very proud when I heard him defend our roster on Cowherd. Genuine leadership and unquestioned belief in his team. And you know what? I think he’s right. If this roster was on another team, everyone would rave about it. Yeah it’s unproven... but every roster is unproven in 2018.

Baker has everything around him set up to succeed, including his own mindset. Yeah it’s true I doubted him and still do on an ability level, but so what? I’m just another cynical guy who has counted him out before he has taken a shot. I’m ready for him to prove me wrong. I think he has the minerals to get it done. It’s what he thrives on.

He’s the #1 pick of the draft and it seems like he has a great combination of knowing why he should have been that but also still carrying around that underdog walk-on focus.

I’m all-in with Baker Mayfield and the Browns.

I was fortunate to like the top three guys so it wasn’t a disappointment for me when we took Baker. I’d still prefer Darnold but it didn’t happen. Will admit the kid continues to grow on me the more I hear and watch and am fairly convinced he’ll work out. He’s already fiercely loyal to Cleveland which I love, now I’m ready to do battle with our own ?

42 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I was fortunate to like the top three guys so it wasn’t a disappointment for me when we took Baker. I’d still prefer Darnold but it didn’t happen. Will admit the kid continues to grow on me the more I hear and watch and am fairly convinced he’ll work out. He’s already fiercely loyal to Cleveland which I love, now I’m ready to do battle with our own ?

Yeah I would have been happy with any of my top three too. I thought it would be Darnold if Hue had his way because he prefers QBs to push the ball down the field more (than necessary) but I don't think this was a Hue decision.

I haven't seen or heard anything that makes me think Mayfield has a better chance to succeed now than when he was drafted though. I never questioned his ability, which I thought was the best of the bunch, I really don't worry about his attitude or off field stuff which may be a flaw of mine but I don't expect it to hurt him on the football field. My biggest worry with Baker is taking chances, or at least trusting his receivers to make a play when it is critical to do so. Darnold did a lot of that in college, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't and he did it way too often but Mayfield usually always found the open deep receiver or hit the safe throw and picked up what was there. I don't trust our offensive coordinator to use Baker's strengths as often as they did in college so there may not be a good option on a lot of passing plays and Baker will have to learn to trust specific receivers or the offense will stall. I do find our starter and back up very similar with the back up better with the arm and the starter better with the legs so if the offense looks terrible with Taylor then Baker probably isn't going to flourish either. However, if Taylor does well Baker likely would too and that will be a good thing if we need him and we are competitive which we should be if the offense looks decent.

Good thing Tyrod starting this year 

nothing wrong with Baker getting engaged and married tv show all the stuff he’s doing that’s cool

so it’s nice he isn’t pressured to start with all this going on. If she a good woman it’ll be a benefit long term so nice luxury he can take him time getting acclimated 

Archived