Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

On 4/26/2018 at 6:34 PM, Aztec Hammer said:

Genuine question. Can someone link me to plays or provide me with gifs of Baker doing well against legitimate pass rush and tight window throws?

It’s been a little over an hour and I’m ready to try and get on board.

#MMO

*links preseason game 1*

41 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

*links preseason game 1*

From what I saw Darnold made the passes that everyone said Baker made in college, either short throws or to a wide open receiver. Baker threw into coverage a lot more and threw his guys open.

I'm not saying anything other than it's funny that they both did well but the opposite of what the Darnold fans believed what each QB brought to the table. I personally think both have a chance to be good Baker was just more ready and more protective of the football which is what we needed after Kizer. Still thought we would draft Darnold though. As long as it wasn't Allen I was going to be happy (or someone who shouldn't have been drafted #1 or #4 overall).

11 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

From what I saw Darnold made the passes that everyone said Baker made in college, either short throws or to a wide open receiver. Baker threw into coverage a lot more and threw his guys open.

I'm not saying anything other than it's funny that they both did well but the opposite of what the Darnold fans believed what each QB brought to the table. I personally think both have a chance to be good Baker was just more ready and more protective of the football which is what we needed after Kizer. Still thought we would draft Darnold though. As long as it wasn't Allen I was going to be happy (or someone who shouldn't have been drafted #1 or #4 overall).

One preseason game. I don’t think it really says anything about either one, other than they both handled any nerves well.

You can call out the Darnold fans as much as you want but imo it’s only coming across as a bit insecure to be honest.

Would it help if I wrote in capital letters that I want Baker to succeed more than I do Darnold. Quite frankly I don’t really care about what happens with Darnold now. Like the guy so I would prefer if he doesn’t fail but he’s a Jet so it’s really not important. Just want Baker to succeed.

What Mind said is probably the most accurate post I’ve seen in here since the preseason game. I would like to see him do well against a-gap pressure and genuine starting level pass rush pressure. I expect we will only see that in the regular season, which again, is exactly why preseason is pretty irrelevant to me.

4 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:
16 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

One preseason game. I don’t think it really says anything about either one, other than they both handled any nerves well.

You can call out the Darnold fans as much as you want but imo it’s only coming across as a bit insecure to be honest.

Would it help if I wrote in capital letters that I want Baker to succeed more than I do Darnold. Quite frankly I don’t really care about what happens with Darnold now. Like the guy so I would prefer if he doesn’t fail but he’s a Jet so it’s really not important. Just want Baker to succeed.

What Mind said is probably the most accurate post I’ve seen in here since the preseason game. I would like to see him do well against a-gap pressure and genuine starting level pass rush pressure. I expect we will only see that in the regular season, which again, is exactly why preseason is pretty irrelevant to me.

Bold the part of my post that shows I'm insecure.

45 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Bold the part of my post that shows I'm insecure.

Comparing the avg ypa on the back of a preseason game against vanilla non-gameplanning defenses as some kind of evidence for I don’t know what. That Mayfield is a downfield machine and Darnold is a checkdown master? And finding it funny that in your opinion, the opposite of what ‘Darnold fans’ thought is what happened.

All I’m saying is it was 20 snaps for both of them against bums in the first preseason game. Kizer was throwing bombs last year at this point. It’s pretty meaningless. I don’t even mind the crowning of Mayfield as I just see that as fanatic support which I suppose is what the game is all about. But every post seems to have some kind of dig at Darnold and those that liked him. I made a positive post about Baker and mistake tells me he’s surprised by my change of opinion. My opinion of his talent and potential hasn’t really changed. But him being a Brown has. Yet it’s almost as if I can’t support the dude now! I’ll be honest - this is what I think. I think he will be ok at best but I lean towards him being unable to overcome the high level pass rush and elite defenders of the nfl. Particularly interior pressure. I worry about his reliance on certain template moves often which I think work against basic athletes but won’t against top tier defenders. I thought before the draft that a 23 year old four year college starter #1 pick should be ready to play and excel straight away. I also think I don’t care about all of that stuff now because he is a Brown.

Archived