Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get that, my only point is I don’t need to blindly accept everything is always roses because a “professional” made the selection.

”Professionals” have goofed up plenty.

and amateurs goof up even worse and more frequently
tom nichols "death of expertise" is a pretty good book on this topic

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

and amateurs goof up even worse and more frequently
tom nichols "death of expertise" is a pretty good book on this topic

Eh, I’d argue that the popular vote of this forum would have hit at a higher average and put a better team on the field over the last two decades tbh.

The bar isn’t exceptionally high.

5 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Are you not a couch potato scout as well?

Or do we just take your word as gospel that he is Russell Wilson v2.0?

No I am as well. But if we picked Chubb, who I don't like, I wouldn't throw a hissy fit on here like an 8 year old girl and claim to be done with the team.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get that, my only point is I don’t need to blindly accept everything is always roses because a “professional” made the selection.

”Professionals” have goofed up plenty.

Ray Farmer had as much business selecting draft picks as my left ********. I wouldn't consider him a "professional."

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I wouldn't throw a hissy fit on here like an 8 year old girl and claim to be done with the team.

Dude, you're missing out. It's cathartic. I feel MUCH better than I did at 11:00 last night.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Didn’t they do that with JFF and Gilbert too?

Most terrible picks in fact?

We all know it wasn't the football guys who picked JFF.  

Different regimes. Homework on character wasn't prioritized enough in 2014. Gilbert was picked by our high school coach at the time who just wanted a fast CB.

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ray Farmer had as much business selecting draft picks as my left ********. I wouldn't consider him a "professional."

Haslam had even less business selecting a QB. Especially after ignoring the $100K consultant's report that he paid for.

About Baker...does anyone else ABSOLUTELY LOVE the fact that he's a huge ****? I love the fact that he literally hates his opponents. He's not out there trying to make buddies; he's there to humiliate you. I could honestly care less about any of his "antics" other than running from the police. That was the only thing I would look at as negative in his character evaluation. Love the crotch grab. Love the trash talk. Love throwing a football at a TCU player's head walking through their warm-up. He's the typical overcompetitive a-hole. As much as people will disagree with me, I think this shows that the dude just can't stomach losing. He's a psychopathic savage that wants to rip your heart out and stomp on it. If you don't love that about the kid, I don't know what to tell you.

He's not Johnny Manziel. That is the dumbest comparison in the universe. There's a reason you don't see NFL scouts or draftniks making that lazy comparison. It's because it's not even close to being accurate other than the fact they both created magic in college and happen to be under 6'1. Manziel was a drug addict. That was his off-field problem. Baker Mayfield doesn't have this issue. I truly feel that if you gave Manziel the arm and brain of Mayfield, he would have become a superstar QB. But he's an entitled addict. Mayfield is a humble dude that becomes a freaking savage monster on the field. This is definitely a thing. Obviously I'm not some superstar player--didn't even play in college--but I had that same kind of mentality. I wanted to smear dog crap in the face of my opponents and then bone their gf's and mothers in front of them after the game. Off the field? Pretty nice dude. But on game day, savage primal DNA took over. I know a ton of guys like this. You'd probably think I was the worst human being ever based on my gameday antics, but other than that, I'm pretty quiet and humble. I think Baker is the same way. I got goosebumps watching him grab his junk and scream at the opposing team. I freaking love that crap.

Oh, and I'm a Miami Hurricane fan, so obviously his swagger and trash talking doesn't bother me.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

About Baker...does anyone else ABSOLUTELY LOVE the fact that he's a huge ****?

I don't at all

I love the fact that he literally hates his opponents. He's not out there trying to make buddies; he's there to humiliate you.

THAT I love.

I could honestly care less about any of his "antics" other than running from the police. That was the only thing I would look at as negative in his character evaluation. Love the crotch grab. Love the trash talk. Love throwing a football at a TCU player's head walking through their warm-up. He's the typical overcompetitive a-hole. As much as people will disagree with me, I think this shows that the dude just can't stomach losing.

There's a way to channel that, and it's not those childish/immature antics. If he figures out how to channel it like Favre, Tom Brady, etc. then absolutely. If he doesn't, then he's just another immature doosh.

He's a psychopathic savage that wants to rip your heart out and stomp on it. If you don't love that about the kid, I don't know what to tell you.

That I love.

He's not Johnny Manziel. That is the dumbest comparison in the universe. There's a reason you don't see NFL scouts or draftniks making that lazy comparison. It's because it's not even close to being accurate other than the fact they both created magic in college and happen to be under 6'1.

That's why most people are making the comparison. Short QB's with a chip on their shoulder who created magic in college that were very polarizing with their personalities. I don't know too many that compare their games, which aren't similar at all.

Manziel was a drug addict. That was his off-field problem. Baker Mayfield doesn't have this issue.

That we know of. We do know that he likes to party, which his own documentary shows.

I truly feel that if you gave Manziel the arm and brain of Mayfield, he would have become a superstar QB. But he's an entitled addict.

Manziel could never throw from the pocket and his game didn't translate.

Mayfield is a humble dude that becomes a freaking savage monster on the field. This is definitely a thing. Obviously I'm not some superstar player--didn't even play in college--but I had that same kind of mentality. I wanted to smear dog crap in the face of my opponents and then bone their gf's and mothers in front of them after the game. Off the field? Pretty nice dude. But on game day, savage primal DNA took over. I know a ton of guys like this. You'd probably think I was the worst human being ever based on my gameday antics, but other than that, I'm pretty quiet and humble. I think Baker is the same way. I got goosebumps watching him grab his junk and scream at the opposing team. I freaking love that crap.

giphy.gif

Oh, and I'm a Miami Hurricane fan, so obviously his swagger and trash talking doesn't bother me.

DJTrCNEVAAArFBm.gif

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'll tell you guys, watching him he does as good a job of processing information and going through his progressions as I have seen in a long time. 

Yup. The way he snaps his head around is elite. The dude scans the field better than any of the QB's in the class. Plus I think he had the 2nd strongest arm behind Allen. And he's the most functionally mobile out of the big 4. Allen is faster and stronger, but Mayfield knows how to run to daylight, set his feet, and deliver a strike. He can roll out on bootlegs and fire darts into tight spaces like very few I've ever seen before him. The kid is special.

Honestly, and I know I'm going to sound like a hypocrit, but the more I watched of Sam Darnold, the less impressed I was with him. I still think he's going to be a good player, but I think he was a little overrated. I would have probably taken him #1, but I had all of the QB's VERY close and had "franchise QB" grades on all of them. I can see why the temperment, accuracy, arm talent, and leadership made Baker the pick at #1. It was a little shocking, but I'm very happy with the pick.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yup. The way he snaps his head around is elite. The dude scans the field better than any of the QB's in the class. Plus I think he had the 2nd strongest arm behind Allen. And he's the most functionally mobile out of the big 4. Allen is faster and stronger, but Mayfield knows how to run to daylight, set his feet, and deliver a strike. He can roll out on bootlegs and fire darts into tight spaces like very few I've ever seen before him. The kid is special.

Honestly, and I know I'm going to sound like a hypocrit, but the more I watched of Sam Darnold, the less impressed I was with him. I still think he's going to be a good player, but I think he was a little overrated. I would have probably taken him #1, but I had all of the QB's VERY close and had "franchise QB" grades on all of them. I can see why the temperment, accuracy, arm talent, and leadership made Baker the pick at #1. It was a little shocking, but I'm very happy with the pick.

Love your well thought out optimism.  

My thoughts on Baker 2 months ago:

I freaking loved him. Thought he was going to be a superstar in the mold of Russell Wilson.

I will admit, it takes balls to select a 6'0 QB at #1 overall in a draft with several prototypes available, which is why I was skeptical we would take him this high. But if you just put tape on, ignored measurables and all of the other nonsense, Baker Mayfield is easily the top QB in the class. When you look at his height and the QB-friendly scheme, it makes it a little bit of a risky pick. But nothing on the tape makes me question his future NFL success.

If Sam Darnold busted in Cleveland, nobody would blame us because he was the prototype. If Baker Mayfield busts in Cleveland, people will lambast us hard considering he's not at all the prototype. This is the only risk involved. And as an NFL GM, you have to go with your gut, not with what the outside world might think of you if you swing & miss. Kudos to John Dorsey for putting his nuts out there like that.

Archived