49ers Select Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame #9 Overall

y2lamanaki

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think you heard wrong. He said they got plenty of calls for that pick but told them to wait until the Bears pick and if McGlinchey was there then they wouldn't trade back. That's not uncommon. Teams if they really like someone in the first round will hardly pass them up just for more picks. 

No. That's exactly what I heard, and exactly what I was criticizing. They had pre-determined that if he was still there when they were picking that they wouldtake him rather than ttrade the pick.  I think that's a huge mistake.  It's exactly the point that teams get so obsessed with a guy that they can no longer make sound business decisions. If a team wants to make them offer for their spot they need to listen to the offer and try to objectivley determine if the offer provides them more value than the guy they "love".  In football, as in life, love blinds people.

36 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

If Williams fails, it won't be because he isn't a good scheme fit. That's a case of you just evaluating the talent better than the FO, which can always happen because the draft is a crapshoot.

Part of evaluating talent is evaluating what schemes they fit in. 

38 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Some of me liking McGlinchey is also just superstition.

The Fighting Irish is this team's power animal. Joe, Ricky, Bryant, Lynch (shut up!). It's one of the reasons I like Sheldon Day, as well.

As a Notre Dame fan, this is a great post. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Part of evaluating talent is evaluating what schemes they fit in. 

Williams is a fit for this scheme i am 100% convinced. I am not convinced he is a guy that has his heart is in it for 100%. He looked pretty good in preseason apart from the fumbles and then he got the mystery injury treatment so it will be interesting to see if he has corrected that and goes for it for the full 100%.

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Williams is a fit for this scheme i am 100% convinced. I am not convinced he is a guy that has his heart is in it for 100%. He looked pretty good in preseason apart from the fumbles and then he got the mystery injury treatment so it will be interesting to see if he has corrected that and goes for it for the full 100%.

Oh I know he's a scheme fit. But Kamara would have been as well. Point is - just because a player is drafted by a team doesn't mean they end up being truly a scheme fit. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Oh I know he's a scheme fit. But Kamara would have been as well. Point is - just because a player is drafted by a team doesn't mean they end up being truly a scheme fit. 

Oh yeah agree with that. 

33 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

No. That's exactly what I heard, and exactly what I was criticizing. They had pre-determined that if he was still there when they were picking that they wouldtake him rather than ttrade the pick.  I think that's a huge mistake.  It's exactly the point that teams get so obsessed with a guy that they can no longer make sound business decisions. If a team wants to make them offer for their spot they need to listen to the offer and try to objectivley determine if the offer provides them more value than the guy they "love".  In football, as in life, love blinds people.

I'm sorry but I'm not getting you at all here. If that's the guy who they liked the most, why would they trade down for a few extra picks and pick an inferior pick later in the draft? Raiders traded down and barely got a 3rd and 5th out of it. If they felt the difference between Mcglinchey and Miller was minimal then sure make the trade and accumulate picks. But if you rate one much higher at a position of need then don't trade out of the spot. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm sorry but I'm not getting you at all here. If that's the guy who they liked the most, why would they trade down for a few extra picks and pick an inferior pick later in the draft? Raiders traded down and barely got a 3rd and 5th out of it. If they felt the difference between Mcglinchey and Miller was minimal then sure make the trade and accumulate picks. But if you rate one much higher at a position of need then don't trade out of the spot. 

Because the offer might yield them more value. You won't know if you don't listen  to it. Without listening to the offer, and/or being so blinded by your desire for some one particular guy that you can no longer fairly assess an offer, you have no idea whether you're still making the right move or not.

It's not at all about the guy they like the most. It's about adding the most value to your team.  This is completely theoritical but would rather have the best OT in the class or the 2nd best OT AND the 2nd best G (or any other position you might need). Without hearing an offer you don't know if there's some combination of players that might help you even more than the guy you "love".  Terms like "our guy", "love", "like" are just terms that teams use that impede their ability to make the best decisions for the future of their team.  Maybe they did listen and then rejected all the offers. But that's not what he sais. He said they determined to take him no matter what if he was still there.

6 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Terms like "our guy", "love", "like" are just terms that teams use that impede their ability to make the best decisions for the future of their team. 

To be fair, I think these terms are mostly used with the media. Lynch and Shanahan will use those over and over because they have to sell their pick to the fan base, and perhaps to the rest of the team as well. It doesn't mean they had blinders on and didn't listen to any offer. Remember how Lynch said on thursday night that he hadn't entertained offers for Trent Brown yet and he was looking forward to competition at RT? After he was traded, he admitted that there had already been talks. So yeah, he lied. It's PR. You can be sure the idea of trading Brown has been entertained for a while, perhaps as long ago as last offseason. But all the talk over the course of the season was about how Trent Brown is such a marvelous pass blocker, that they "love" him, that he's one of "our guys". Whatever they said about McGlinchey and being in "love" with him, and he was "our guy"... that doesn't mean anything. It's just PR. Don't get hung up on these words. We don't know what happens in the war room. We don't know the discussions Lynch has with other GMs. You're just assuming that they didn't listen on any offer just because Lynch said he loved the guy he picked.

4 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

To be fair, I think these terms are mostly used with the media. Lynch and Shanahan will use those over and over because they have to sell their pick to the fan base, and perhaps to the rest of the team as well. It doesn't mean they had blinders on and didn't listen to any offer. Remember how Lynch said on thursday night that he hadn't entertained offers for Trent Brown yet and he was looking forward to competition at RT? After he was traded, he admitted that there had already been talks. So yeah, he lied. It's PR. You can be sure the idea of trading Brown has been entertained for a while, perhaps as long ago as last offseason. But all the talk over the course of the season was about how Trent Brown is such a marvelous pass blocker, that they "love" him, that he's one of "our guys". Whatever they said about McGlinchey and being in "love" with him, and he was "our guy"... that doesn't mean anything. It's just PR. Don't get hung up on these words. We don't know what happens in the war room. We don't know the discussions Lynch has with other GMs. You're just assuming that they didn't listen on any offer just because Lynch said he loved the guy he picked.

Man would I love to be a fly on the wall. I'd actually just love it if teh NFL network would get a few former scouts and let them talk about he kind of things that go on in the draft room, and in the evaluation process.

13 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Man would I love to be a fly on the wall. I'd actually just love it if teh NFL network would get a few former scouts and let them talk about he kind of things that go on in the draft room, and in the evaluation process.

Me too. But we're stuck with the drivel and the BS.

17 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Because the offer might yield them more value. You won't know if you don't listen  to it. Without listening to the offer, and/or being so blinded by your desire for some one particular guy that you can no longer fairly assess an offer, you have no idea whether you're still making the right move or not.

What makes you think they didn't listen to offers? Of course they did...they'd been taking trade offers on that pick for weeks, at least. They evidently decided that none of the trades on offer were worth losing McGlinchey. They probably did decide this before draft day based on what they'd been offered to that point.

But I promise you, they didn't turn off the phones on draft day. You're free to not like the pick, but let's not invent stupidities just to throw them at the front office.

2 hours ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

What makes you think they didn't listen to offers? Of course they did...they'd been taking trade offers on that pick for weeks, at least. They evidently decided that none of the trades on offer were worth losing McGlinchey. They probably did decide this before draft day based on what they'd been offered to that point.

But I promise you, they didn't turn off the phones on draft day. You're free to not like the pick, but let's not invent stupidities just to throw them at the front office.

What makes me think that? Because Lynch said so. Go listen to Lynch's interview and decide for yourself. I doubt they turned off the phone.  But I'm pretty sure they weren't really listening. In fact he specifically said when teams contacted him earlier int the draft they would not talk trade until their pick came around because if McGlinchey was still there they were taking him. In other words, his words to be specific, they were NOT llistenbing to offers until the pick rolled around because they intended to take McGlinchey. Who know if anyone bothered to even call him back after hearing that and seeing McGlinchey there for us? If anyone called who knows if we even bothered to listen to the details of any offer they had in mind. Sorry, but by Lyunch's own words they were determine to take McG if he was there. And by his own words they told that to other teams and did NOT talk to them about early offers.

They did not tell other teams it was McGlinchey. Judging by his interview with NFL Network they where set on taking him at 9 a week before the draft and at that point decided to not trade back and risk losing him. What i did understand is that if McGlinchey would have been picked before then they would have traded back because they had a group of like 3 guys they rated pretty much the same.

And honestly i don't mind that reasoning. If you are sold by a guy at a certain spot you just go and pick him. Else you go in a cycle of constant trade backs which just means you get lesser talent.

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

What makes me think that? Because Lynch said so. Go listen to Lynch's interview and decide for yourself. I doubt they turned off the phone.  But I'm pretty sure they weren't really listening. In fact he specifically said when teams contacted him earlier int the draft they would not talk trade until their pick came around because if McGlinchey was still there they were taking him. In other words, his words to be specific, they were NOT llistenbing to offers until the pick rolled around because they intended to take McGlinchey. Who know if anyone bothered to even call him back after hearing that and seeing McGlinchey there for us? If anyone called who knows if we even bothered to listen to the details of any offer they had in mind. Sorry, but by Lyunch's own words they were determine to take McG if he was there. And by his own words they told that to other teams and did NOT talk to them about early offers.

From i understand they did listen, if your a team and you don't listen then your dumb. They thought there might be a chance McG wasn't going to be there that Chicago might draft him. And that's why they listened.

Archived