49ers Select Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame #9 Overall

y2lamanaki

No, the shopping of Brown before the draft would have tipped people off. I prefer they way they handled it. The more who know, the more likely it gets blabbed about. Secrecy is paramount in the draft UNLESS you have the 1st pick...I never want that experience again. 2005 was enough. It started a sickening roller-coaster that may only just now be in the process of truly being 'righted'. 

17 hours ago, rudyZ said:

By offering him to teams that didn't care whether we picked McG or not? Trading Brown to the Pats, for instance. What are they going to do about us drafting McG? Object? Tell on us? Trade up to 8 and pick him before us?

@Chrissooner49er covered it, but they obviously made it a point to avoid putting it out to the world that they were interested in McG. 

I say they sacrificed the trent brown trade because I'm pretty confident they could have gotten more than what the pats offered had they actually "shopped" him to teams, we'll never know so it is what it is. Probably owed the Pats that one anyways since we robbed them of their QB of the future. 

Very interesting article on the subject I have talked a lot about these past few days."How the 2018 Draft Proved That the Modern NFL Doesn't Exist"

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/5/1/17305966/2018-draft-baker-mayfield-josh-allen-analytics-old-new-school-football

One intersting quote was about the Giants pick of Barkley. After praising Barkley as a great back who will start immediately and improve the Giants offense immediately he went on to say "But using the no. 2 pick is about extracting as much value as possible over multiple years." Exactly the point I've been making about getting "value" not particular guys. He had eearlier in the article criticized the Giants for making up their minds that they were taking Barkley if he was there without  listening to offers and trying to get more value out of the pick. That too is a point I made about our pick.

3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I prefer Shanny has his guy. McGlinchey is rather poised and likeable, if you've watched him talk. I can see him working very hard to improve and do exactly what is expected of him.

Oh yeah. Really likeable and comes across great. I love that he was 2-time captain. That says a lot to me about leadership and what his team and his coaches  thought of him.

5 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Oh yeah. Really likeable and comes across great. I love that he was 2-time captain. That says a lot to me about leadership and what his team and his coaches  thought of him.

Agreed - he's definitely a high character guy that will fit well in the building. And he can take over for Staley as the leader of the offensive line position group. There's a lot of positives to him. 

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I forget who I heard say it but man McGlinchey’s face really does look like a 38 year old grizzled veteran. We sure he isn’t pulling a Thon Maker on us?

Maybe a Leon Sandcastle?

I didn't really scout OTs all that closely. The more I watch of McG, the more I am liking the pick. I don't really understand yet why he is being mentioned as a likely poor fit for the scheme. Any help on this? 

4 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I didn't really scout OTs all that closely. The more I watch of McG, the more I am liking the pick. I don't really understand yet why he is being mentioned as a likely poor fit for the scheme. Any help on this? 

I don't get it either. He's athletic, strong, very smart, apparently has tons of charisma, technically sound, and continuously faced some of the top EDGE rushers the past two years and managed to grade out at almost 90/100 both seasons by PFF. He's a stud who will be a very good starting RT.

In the draft forum they were saying he has problems with speed rushers. I don't know how accurate that is but that seemed to be the consensus pre-draft over there. 

He's 6'8, I could see how a smaller, quicker guys with bend could give him problems. I haven't watched enough to know for sure. 

We now have 5 first round picks on our OL. Granted only 4 will start because three of them are guards but still... Lots of talent there 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

In the draft forum they were saying he has problems with speed rushers. I don't know how accurate that is but that seemed to be the consensus pre-draft over there. 

He's 6'8, I could see how a smaller, quicker guys with bend could give him problems. I haven't watched enough to know for sure. 

We now have 5 first round picks on our OL. Granted only 4 will start because three of them are guards but still... Lots of talent there 

It's not just a problem with speed rushers - he really struggles with power guys, too - in general, he struggled against most of the talented pass rushers he's faced. Not to a Kwame Harris-level of terrible. But enough to raise questions.

And while he has the athleticism to move, I question how effective he's going to be if the defense puts a space eater in front of him. If he can't move them (and with his current frame, I'd bet against it - but that much can be fixed in an NFL weight room), that will totally wreck an outside zone scheme like ours. 

18 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

It's not just a problem with speed rushers - he really struggles with power guys, too - in general, he struggled against most of the talented pass rushers he's faced. Not to a Kwame Harris-level of terrible. But enough to raise questions.

And while he has the athleticism to move, I question how effective he's going to be if the defense puts a space eater in front of him. If he can't move them (and with his current frame, I'd bet against it - but that much can be fixed in an NFL weight room), that will totally wreck an outside zone scheme like ours. 

Pro Football Focus graded McGlinchey's pass blocking in 2018 at 84.5 and he only allowed 16 pressures on 411 pass-blocking snaps. He also faced some of the best pass rushers in college football in 2018. For the level of talent he faced, I think an 84.5 grade and only 16 pressures is pretty darn good. It sounds like he still has a lot to iron out in his pass-blocking technique, but I don't think he's as bad as what a lot of people are making him out to be. 

Also, let's not forget the Jimmy G effect. When he stepped into a starting role, our O-line started grading out much better. I'm wondering in McGlinchey's case, how many times was he flat out beat off the snap and how many times was he beat when he needed to pass protect longer than expected?

Archived