Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
y2lamanaki

49ers Select Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame #9 Overall

Recommended Posts

Players can also pay to have their grades increased. PFF is actually a problem for NFL teams because players are using their grades in negotiations. This is made worse given by the fact that players can pay PFF to have their grades embellished. Derek Wolfe stated this during an interview, where he displayed quite a lot of irritation with PFF. but the actual content managers, advertisers broadcast producers/directors love it. They can throw what amounts to a madden overall grade under each player during intros, have little tidbits of sponsored pff grades and slides during games...

But I'm not a huge of PFF and I'm waiting for that tiny little data analysis niche see some competition by another company. However, not sure it will ever happen, due to the nature of football and how little we actually know of when it comes to players responsibilities on a play to play basis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, John232 said:

Players can also pay to have their grades increased. PFF is actually a problem for NFL teams because players are using their grades in negotiations. This is made worse given by the fact that players can pay PFF to have their grades embellished. Derek Wolfe stated this during an interview, where he displayed quite a lot of irritation with PFF. but the actual content managers, advertisers broadcast producers/directors love it. They can throw what amounts to a madden overall grade under each player during intros, have little tidbits of sponsored pff grades and slides during games...

But I'm not a huge of PFF and I'm waiting for that tiny little data analysis niche see some competition by another company. However, not sure it will ever happen, due to the nature of football and how little we actually know of when it comes to players responsibilities on a play to play basis. 

This will be the first season in which data sufficient to do real football analytics is available. I imagine NFL teams will all be doing most of their own analysis within a few years and PFF will be relegated to the realm of fantasy football, especially if the data is available to the teams, but not to the public.

Edited by Ronnie's Pinky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

• You know what amazed some teams in the league? Where the tackles were picked. Notre Dame’s Mike McGlinchey at nine to San Francisco, UCLA’s Kolton Miller at 15 to the Raiders. Said one GM: “The biggest gap of our grades between any two picks in the first round was Roquan Smith at eight and Mike McGlinchey at nine. That’s a premier player followed by a need pick of a good player.” Interesting. Those two tackles, in another year, could have gone 29 and 35 instead of nine and 15. But it’s a vital position, and there weren’t many tackles in the draft this year—and maybe none who can plug-and-play.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/07/peter-king-sports-illustrated-nbc-mmqb

I think quite a few people feel this way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Exactly the point I made when we picked him. He might well be the best OT in this class, but not even in the same ballpark as OTs that went top 10 in prior years. I still expect him to be a solid RT, but I'll truly be surprised if he becomees a multiple time pro bowler. I'll even be a bit surprised if he turns out to be good enough to move to LT when Staley retires.

Horrible , horrible year for pass rushers. Really bad year for high quality OTs. One of the best years I can remember for interior o-line guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yup. Unfortunately, when you make the decision to basically jump off Trent Brown this year, you're almost locking yourself in to that McGlinchey pick unless you're really going to start Gilliam. Honestly, I may have still done that and then grabbed another tackle in the third round. Just didn't like him being picked there at all. But then again, as the draft got closer and closer, I was getting more and more bullish on the Minkah fit in our defense, and was really starting to fall in love with the idea of having him at FS, Colbert at SS and Tartt as a money backer on passing downs. I thought that would give us incredible range on the back end, good coverage on tight ends and running backs underneath with Tartt, some ballhawking from Minkah with some strength and enforcement from Colbert. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is what it is, gents. No amount of hand-wringing or complaining will change anything. Most were willing to trust the new regime previous to this, I guess your trust is being tested now. 

I was initially shocked. Perhaps dismayed. It is now obvious that they did not like ANY pass rushers much at all in this draft. However, they valued this guy a lot. I am beginning to see why.

Like I said, it is all about how much you trust the current regime.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

It is what it is, gents. No amount of hand-wringing or complaining will change anything. Most were willing to trust the new regime previous to this, I guess your trust is being tested now. 

I was initially shocked. Perhaps dismayed. It is now obvious that they did not like ANY pass rushers much at all in this draft. However, they valued this guy a lot. I am beginning to see why.

Like I said, it is all about how much you trust the current regime.  

The team didn't like Brown, and knew it wasn't going to re-sign him. So they got something (Tarvarius Moore, basically) for Brown, and took a guy with good upside long-term, and little to no downside. Barring injury, McG is a virtual lock to become a pretty good all-around tackle, and he could be a very good one. He's not perfect now, but he's got terrific size and athleticism, no glaring technical flaws, and he's a hard worker who understands the game. He's got a good shot to play in a few pro bowls at the second most valuable position on the field.

McGlinchey was a good pick...a guy the team rightly valued more  than the amateur mock draft community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

McGlinchey was a good pick...a guy the team rightly valued more  than the amateur mock draft community.

And by at least one of the NFL community, let's be fair, as evidenced by the snippet J posted. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

It is what it is, gents. No amount of hand-wringing or complaining will change anything. Most were willing to trust the new regime previous to this, I guess your trust is being tested now. 

I was initially shocked. Perhaps dismayed. It is now obvious that they did not like ANY pass rushers much at all in this draft. However, they valued this guy a lot. I am beginning to see why.

Like I said, it is all about how much you trust the current regime.  

Thank you, awesome sir. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If McG is indeed a 20-30 type prospect, I think it was just Lynch practicing drafting in the 20s-30s (hopefully he'll be drafting at 32 a few times). You know, you don't want to draft there without practice. When you're not used to it, you end up with guys like Kentwan Balmer or AJ Jenkins. So, next year we'll be drafting something like 21, and the year after 32, so now Lynch knows what kind of guy he can get there. He's thinking ahead, guys. The man has a plan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

If McG is indeed a 20-30 type prospect, I think it was just Lynch practicing drafting in the 20s-30s (hopefully he'll be drafting at 32 a few times). You know, you don't want to draft there without practice. When you're not used to it, you end up with guys like Kentwan Balmer or AJ Jenkins. So, next year we'll be drafting something like 21, and the year after 32, so now Lynch knows what kind of guy he can get there. He's thinking ahead, guys. The man has a plan!

I like this theory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forge said:

And by at least one of the NFL community, let's be fair, as evidenced by the snippet J posted. 

 

I trust Kyle more than "unnamed NFL scout". I'm surprised dude didn't say McGlinchey has old man face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ronnie's Pinky said:

I trust Kyle more than "unnamed NFL scout". I'm surprised dude didn't say McGlinchey has old man face.

It was a GM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

If McG is indeed a 20-30 type prospect, I think it was just Lynch practicing drafting in the 20s-30s (hopefully he'll be drafting at 32 a few times). You know, you don't want to draft there without practice. When you're not used to it, you end up with guys like Kentwan Balmer or AJ Jenkins. So, next year we'll be drafting something like 21, and the year after 32, so now Lynch knows what kind of guy he can get there. He's thinking ahead, guys. The man has a plan!

Made me smile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×