49ers Select Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame #9 Overall

y2lamanaki

Scot M on McGlinchey

"I liked him a lot," McCloughan said. "I liked the size, I liked the length. I liked the toughness. … Everyone's going to say he's a right tackle. I think he's a left tackle through and through. I like his intelligence, his instincts for the position. I liked the angles he would take and the fact that we wanted to finish (blocks)."

McCloughan said he thought McGlinchey would be a more athletic version of Andrew Whitworth, the Los Angeles Rams tackle who has made four Pro Bowls and who has been a starter since his rookie season in 2006.

"This guy (McGlinchey) is a much better athlete with better flexibility," McCloughan said. "And that's not knocking Whitworth, because I know he's been a good player. But this guy — his ability to sink his hips and bend his knees is hard to find for someone his height."

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, he did say right after the Jimmy G trade that the Niners need to go OL in the first round. 

Better version than Whitworth though? Not sure about that. 

That's asking a lot lol. But I suppose if he's comparing them as prospects it makes sense. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, he did say right after the Jimmy G trade that the Niners need to go OL in the first round. 

Better version than Whitworth though? Not sure about that. 

Well Whitworth was thought to be too stiff and non athletic to be a LT in the pros. He projected mostly as a RT coming out of college, which dropped him to the second round. McG seems to be much more athletic to the naked eye. Whitworth the more powerful of the two.

Archived