49ers Select Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame #9 Overall

y2lamanaki

A bit unrealistic to get a 2nd rounder for someone still recovering from a shoulder operation, on the last year of his deal and when we already drafted his replacement. 

But my goodness if the Pats get him to go along with the Wynn pick. That's one way to improve your OL. One reason I'm skeptical is that Brown will likely command Soldier type of money in free agency and if the Pats didn't pay Soldier, will they really pay Brown? 

54 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I thought of that this morning as well. Jimmy's quick release will help mitigate the difference (though, if he's getting hit even more, that's still a bad thing). 

I also thought - if you're going to pay a ton for McKinnon, it makes sense to invest in improvement in run blocking.

Yep, though I think Shanny is more excited to use McKinnon in the pass game than the run game. Don't get me wrong, he very well may be getting 12-15 carries per game, but he will make his money in the passing game.

But maybe you meant to say if we are going to invest so much in Joe Williams, it makes sense to invest in improving in run blocking ;).

Initially, I wasn't happy with this pick. I thought the value wasn't there and we left some premium defenders on the board. Now seeing how things played out, I must've overvalued some guys (Landry, James, and Fitzpatrick), and the word is, if we passed on McGlinchey, the Raiders were going to take him at 10. It sounds like the niners are really unhappy about Brown and loved McGlinchey's talent enough to be afraid that someone was going to take him from us. This was there plan and they stuck to it so I give them props for that.

McGlinchey seems like he's going to be a substantial upgrade from Brown in the running game and athleticism departments, but is going to be downgrade (at least initially) in the passing game. From everything I hear about him, he's really tough and strong, has elite level hand usage and balance, very athletic and smart. It sounds like he has all of the tools to be an elite tackle. 

Also, I really hope we don't trade Brown. His value is going to be at its lowest and he's worth more than what we could find in the 5th or the 6th. The bottom is going to drop out of this draft pretty quickly and day three is going to tough to find talent. I say we keep Brown for this season, get back into shape and be our swing tackle with McGlinchey as the starting RT. 

9 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Also, I really hope we don't trade Brown. His value is going to be at its lowest and he's worth more than what we could find in the 5th or the 6th. The bottom is going to drop out of this draft pretty quickly and day three is going to tough to find talent. I say we keep Brown for this season, get back into shape and be our swing tackle with McGlinchey as the starting RT. 

If Brown wasn't in a contract year I'd agree with you but unless Staley unexpectedly retires after this season, Brown is going to be signing elsewhere to be a starting tackle for someone. And from the sounds of things the Broncos and Pats are interested in a trade. Remember when Von Miller said Trent Brown was the best pass blocking tackle in the league (Shanny said the same this offseason) his value is not nearly as low as you guys think. I'd say a 3rd round pick at the worst. 

Funny how Brown was Baalke's best pick for value and this regime is getting rid of him lol.

I hope we do get a 3rd rounder for him, but little to no chance we get a 2nd. Which I'm fine with. 

If we do trade him for a 3rd rounder, I'll change the McGlinchey pick from a C to a B. 

Brown will probably be used at swing tackle for the last year of his deal. He's more valuable as a backup in that role, then trying to trade for him. Because no one will trade for him unless they're desperate. You'd be getting a poor conditioned tackle with a shoulder issue on the last year of his deal, who is only good in pass pro. Is that worth a 5th? 49ers probably don't bite, because they don't want to be in a situation again where they have to play someone like Beadles at tackle.

11 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

If Brown wasn't in a contract year I'd agree with you but unless Staley unexpectedly retires after this season, Brown is going to be signing elsewhere to be a starting tackle for someone. 

And from the sounds of things the Broncos and Pats are interested in a trade. Remember when Von Miller said Trent Brown was the best pass blocking tackle in the league (Shanny said the same this offseason) his value is not nearly as low as you guys think. I'd say a 3rd round pick at the worst. 

Agree with that first quote, 48 (though I did like most of your post, NN21)

I hope you are right on the second quote, but I remain skeptical. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Don't have to love the pick, but things like this are kind of cool. Kid just letting those tears go. 

Awesome moment for sure. 

Does anyone else kinda think he looks like Frankenstein? At 6'8 he certainly fits the mold

8 hours ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Just got into watching tape on him but I've heard this before? Any specific tape you're referring to?

There's a bit out there. If you're looking for one game in particular, I'd highlight the Miami game, but it shows up quite a bit. The game against Chubb is actually a good watch too. He definitely gets beat some, but at the same time, he wins some nice battles. I'd check that out. 

Archived