49ers Select Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame #9 Overall

y2lamanaki

11 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

That's exactly my point. You were wrong about where everyone else had him rated. The online community was lower on him than the NFL community, there was quite a discrepency. Raiders were locked in on him at 10 and the Ravens at 16. Mayock, who is probably the pulse of where teams have prospects rated, had him at 8. 

In fairness, people were wrong about where 2  teams had him rated. There's no indication that any other team had him rated that highly, nor is there any indication that that they didn't. But a blanket statement of "you were wrong where everyone else had him" is certainly not right. People have varying opinions, teams, "draftniks", you name it. Two teams had him as a top 10 guy, who knows where the others had him. I mean, Pitt apparenatly had a first round grade on Terrell Edmunds., so there can certainly be variation. Mayock had him 8. Kiper 22. Drafttek 17. Matt Miller had him 22. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

22 seems about right for where most people had McGlinchey ranked. I still see him as a reach at 9. If the Raiders didn't also want him, then I think we could've traded down with the Cardinals and still got our guy at 15. The Raiders essentially put us in a situation where it was do or die for the niners. Despite still thinking it was a reach if in 3 years McGlinchey consistently ranks as a top 15 tackle in the NFL, then I would say the 9th pick was worth it. 

People around the league always say "If he's your guy, then you take him, you don't mess around." This is one of those situations. 

There's no way the Cards are doing a trade with us in this scenario. They knew Oakland isn't in need of a QB just like we weren't so why potentially help a divisional foe when you don't have to? They, like everyone else knew Rosen would slide once the Broncos went with Chubb. Now maybe they considered the chance of another team trading up with us to draft Rosen so they might have put in a call to gauge compensation. But Im pretty sure once Rosen got to the Bears pick, they were willing to wait it out and hope he fell to Oakland. I too, wanted to us to trade back but if they really wanted McG and wasn't in love with the next best OT prospects then you have to take him@9. If we trade back, its not a given McG is still there.  They might have had him, head and shoulders above the other OT prospects so in there eyes, there were staying@9 regardless. I would have gambled on a guy like Connor Williams had we traded back but that's just me...

Just now, 757-NINER said:

There's no way the Cards are doing a trade with us in this scenario. They knew Oakland isn't in need of a QB just like we weren't so why potentially help a divisional foe when you don't have to? They, like everyone else knew Rosen would slide once the Broncos went with Chubb. Now maybe they considered the chance of another team trading up with us to draft Rosen so they might have put in a call to gauge compensation. But Im pretty sure once Rosen got to the Bears pick, they were willing to wait it out and hope he fell to Oakland. 

Lynch did a great job last year in convincing the Bears that they were going to take Trubisky or trade the pick to another team that really wanted him. Whose to say that couldn't work again this year. From what it sounds like, Lynch wasn't trying very hard to trade the pick because he knew McGlinchey wouldn't be there at 15 because of the Raiders. If the Raiders weren't in love with McGlinchey, maybe Lynch would've tried hard to create a market for himself. things like that happen all the time.

If teams always picked the 9th best player at #9, the 10th best player at #10, the 11th best player at #11, and so on, then maybe this couldn't be a reach. However, teams overdraft players every year and players bust every year. Three teams can overrate the same player, especially if they are doing so at a need position. That would make that player a reach.

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Lynch did a great job last year in convincing the Bears that they were going to take Trubisky or trade the pick to another team that really wanted him. Whose to say that couldn't work again this year. From what it sounds like, Lynch wasn't trying very hard to trade the pick because he knew McGlinchey wouldn't be there at 15 because of the Raiders. If the Raiders weren't in love with McGlinchey, maybe Lynch would've tried hard to create a market for himself. things like that happen all the time.

But your assuming the Cards even called Lynch. That has yet to be proven. And if they did, Lynch could have been asking for too much in a trade back and they decided to take a chance and wait...that happens all the time as well.

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

But your assuming the Cards even called Lynch. That has yet to be proven. And if they did, Lynch could have been asking for too much in a trade back...that happens all the time as well.

I think in the presser, Lynch mentioned that he had trade down conversations but didn't feel the extra picks were worth passing on McGlinchey. What I was saying in my last post is that I don't think Lynch was trying very hard to trade down because he knew no matter what trade he agreed to, McGlinchey wouldn't have been available. IF it wasn't for the Raiders, a trade down could've occurred and we could've still picked McGlinchey.

6 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

He has some limitations@LT but alot of his troubles can be corrected with better technique/coaching. He should fair much better on the right side. If Brown is indeed on the way out, this pick looks a whole lot better. Especially if we can get two picks in both the 2nd and 3rd round. We can plug alot of holes with 4 picks in those two rounds.

OK. I have to confess I only watrched about half of this. But it was so depressing I had to stop. This guy looks terrible. No way in the world he will ever play LT in the NFL. But there a ton a great pass rushers coming from the other side these days and they're feast on him. I was originally disappointed because I thought we took a guy who was a mid teens talent at 9. But he looks awful against Chubb. From this I'd say he doesn't even look like a first rounder let alone the 6th non-QB in the draft. I didn't like taking an OT, I didn't like taking him before I thought (before I saw this) he was worth. Now I totally question this pick in every way possible.

2 hours ago, Justone2 said:

To be fair we had Beadles as our RT when Jimmy was playing and everything is better than that. I think its more of the question if you want a guy that is 1st in pass pro and 20th in the run or a guy that is 10th in both(not saying McGlinchey is that right now but he has the skills to be at least that). Besides that i feel your playbook is way more limited when you have a guy that really can't do the things you want him to do in the run game than having a guy that is a slightly less pass blocker. 

Maybe I'm too biased to see straight at this point. But after the pick I went back and watched some film of him. There's even some posted here. If he ever becomes a top 10 pass blocker I will be truly surprised. The looks he's wearing lead weights around his ankles. Really slow reacction and slow feet.  Those are things that are hard to change.

Matt Miller's scouting report on McGlinchey compares him to Jack Conklin. It says that he is a gifted pass blocker, but I've heard elsewhere that he is better in run blocking. From reading Matt's scouting report, listening to Lynch and Shannahan talk about him, and watching some highlights, I'm more excited about picking him.

It feels like it was a reach, but it seems like other teams wanted him and the Niners felt he was going to elevate our offense more than other tackles. It also helps that he's from Notre Dame, which is churning out the best OL prospects in recent years and he was a 4-year contributor on a team with guys like both Martins, Ronnie Stanley, and Nelson. I'm really feeling like we got an elite tackle that can start at RT from day one and be a quality starting tackle for the next 5-10 years.

I loved Conklin coming out.  I did not love McGlinchey. 

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

I really don't think the left/right thing is as prevalent as it once was. Defenses have evolved where now they don't just put their best pass rusher over the LT.

Yes. Unfortunatel;y that's true because he looks really slow to me and there are a lot of good pass sushers that will be coming from his side.

22 seems about right for where most people had McGlinchey ranked. I still see him as a reach at 9. If the Raiders didn't also want him, then I think we could've traded down with the Cardinals and still got our guy at 15. The Raiders essentially put us in a situation where it was do or die for the niners. Despite still thinking it was a reach if in 3 years McGlinchey consistently ranks as a top 15 tackle in the NFL, then I would say the 9th pick was worth it. 

People around the league always say "If he's your guy, then you take him, you don't mess around." This is one of those situations. 

People keep saying we had to take him there because Oakland would have taken him at 10. So Freakin what! That is absolutely the wrong way to go about drafting.  You take at 9 if youi think he is a can't miss stud, not because you're afraid of losing him. Building a team over time is a lot like building a business over time. There are some  deals you just have to be willing to walk away from.

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, people were wrong about where 2  teams had him rated. There's no indication that any other team had him rated that highly, nor is there any indication that that they didn't. But a blanket statement of "you were wrong where everyone else had him" is certainly not right. People have varying opinions, teams, "draftniks", you name it. Two teams had him as a top 10 guy, who knows where the others had him. I mean, Pitt apparenatly had a first round grade on Terrell Edmunds., so there can certainly be variation. Mayock had him 8. Kiper 22. Drafttek 17. Matt Miller had him 22. 

Good point about my blanket statement. I didn't mean that literally. But there absolutely is indication that another team had him rated that highly. The team directly behind us. So another team had him rated exactly where we did. I also read the Ravens wanted him, so that's 3 in the same range. 

I guess my point is a reach is when one team takes a player that no other teams are interested in in that range. In this case, it's a fact that the team directly behind them was going to take him. Whether that agrees with anyone's draft board, if he's the highest rated player on your board that is where you have to take him or you don't get him. 

All I'm saying is that people are arguing it's bad value, and that may be true according to our rankings but not according to where he was going to go in the draft. 

Hindsight value is another thing altogether. He may not end up being worth the 9th pick or even a 5th round pick. But the cost of finding that out in the NFL draft was the 9th pick according to this year's draft.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

People keep saying we had to take him there because Oakland would have taken him at 10. So Freakin what! That is absolutely the wrong way to go about drafting.  You take at 9 if youi think he is a can't miss stud, not because you're afraid of losing him. Building a team over time is a lot like building a business over time. There are some  deals you just have to be willing to walk away from.

They took him at 9 because they thought he is a can't miss stud. I don't necessarily agree with their thinking on that. I wanted a trade down over anyone at 9.

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

Quite simple for me. I viewed him as a late first round pick, mid 20's type prospect. There were still guys on the board for me who were in my top 8. That's a reach. Don't care what another team thought of him; completely inconsequential to how I view him as a prospect. I view this as a pretty substantial reach that lacks value - and when I say lacks value, it needs to be kept in context. Obviously, offensive line hugely important, tremendously valueable etc. I'm talking the pick / prospect / slot. If it's between me reaching for a player I don't feel is worth the slot, and letting another team fall on that grenade right after and going in another direction knowing I'm not going to get that player, then I wish that player and that team the best, I'll take my shopping elsewhere. 

I just posted something relatively like this before I read your post. Absolutely agree. You don't draft guys because you're afraid someone else will. You draft guys that represent a value and are the best player available among the guiys you are considering.  Taking a guy at 20 that is generally rated around 10 because other teams had bigger needs and let him slide is a value pick. Picking a guy at 9 that was generally rated around 20 simply because he wouldn't be there if you traded back is getting poor value.

All this is moot if they thought he was a sure-fire, every-year, top 10 pick, even in a year where there were lots of good tackles.  But I've never seen a single review of this guy that rated him as that kind of guy. FWIW when I looked at him and Nelson a few weeks back I thought that Nelson was a stud, and the McGlionchey could maybe end up being a first rounder.

Archived