Bucs draft DT Vita Vea - SIGNED

bucsfan333

I love Licht emphasis on getting better on areas where we were weak at. My problem is that it took WAY too long to recognize this. McCoy finally has some help next to him for the first time in his career. We will be tough to run on with JPP, Vea, and Curry. Stopping Ingram/Kamara just became somewhat easier. That being said what concerns me is Vea snap count in college. Is it worth taking a 2 down DT? I see some pass rush ability but its really just him bullrushing the crap out people using power. Guess we’ll see how we use him. 

Tomorrow expect the Bucs to draft a guard.

From Drafttek.com

"This is a pick that our Bucs' analyst has eyed thoughout the draft process and it makes complete sense. Jason Licht is putting on a clinic in "Drafting 101" with this pick. Trade back, add picks, and still pick the apple of your eye after the trade down ... unreal! Vita Vea next to Gerald McCoy in the middle of that Bucs' defensive line should strike fear in the hearts of any offensive line. With the added picks, the Bucs can still address other areas of need and build a roster capable of contending the competitive NFC South for years to come. Grade: A+"

From Walterfootball.com

Some sources have compared Vea to Haloti Ngata in terms of ability to play defensive end or nose tackle. They feel that Vea is a special nose tackle prospect who offers more than Danny Shelton did coming out of Washington. Vea will be downgraded in the 2018 NFL Draft because of being a nose tackle, but he still is a special and rare player. 

Vea has a serious combination of size, length, strength, and quickness at the point of attack. He is a heavy nose tackle who is a rock against the run and can occasionally collapse the pocket in the pass rush. Vea totaled 44 tackles, 3.5 sacks and four passes batted in 2017. He has shown the ability to contribute somewhat in the pass rush while being big, strong, and having a burst at the point of attack

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018NT.php#ixzz5DqGytErz

https://www.pewterreport.com/bucs-make-big-statement-first-round-dt-vea/

Vea isn’t going to be a 2 down DT unless he is a bust. The only concern I have is the 62% of snaps but we don’t make this pick if we think he’s going to be walking around gassed every play. I’m sure we had extensive conversations with his coaches about how he was used and why he played only 62% of snaps. It obviously wasn’t a concern for the plan we have in place for him.

Idk what our plan for Vea is but his floor really isn’t all that low and as MJ says, his ceiling is the roof. But for real, Vea could be a generational DT. He’s got the God given ability and I fully trust Buckner to get the most out of him.

The more I look and read on this pick the more I don't get mad. I hate how we passed on James but I feel as Buckner/Litch saw something in him and will play him right. Now with 3 2nd round picks I feel well come away with what we need in G, RB, CB/S.

A rotation of

McCoy, Vita, Allen, Mike at Dt

Curry, JPP, Spence, Gholston. At DE

That doesn't look that bad now. Will make it a lot better for the back end. 

1 hour ago, xlfrosti said:

The more I look and read on this pick the more I don't get mad. I hate how we passed on James but I feel as Buckner/Litch saw something in him and will play him right. Now with 3 2nd round picks I feel well come away with what we need in G, RB, CB/S.

A rotation of

McCoy, Vita, Allen, Mike at Dt

Curry, JPP, Spence, Gholston. At DE

That doesn't look that bad now. Will make it a lot better for the back end. 

Well I look it like this, if McCoy were to get hurt..At least we have a DT on the roster worth a damn. Still think James will be a star player but hopefully Vea becomes a pro bowler. This pick screams instant impact. And we’ll see it day 1

JPP-Vea-McCoy-Curry shall be interesting 

I like this pick the more I think about it.

Our secondary is a concern, but I think that was caused in large part by the Dline’s inability to get consistent pressure.

We started getting pressure at the end of 2016 and the secondary played relatively well. That said, we still need a corner and safety from this draft.

We started off with a pick in each of the first 3 rounds. We turned that into a monster DT to put next to McCoy, three second round picks, and JPP.

Not bad at all.

1 hour ago, Buc Ball said:

I like this pick the more I think about it.

Our secondary is a concern, but I think that was caused in large part by the Dline’s inability to get consistent pressure.

We started getting pressure at the end of 2016 and the secondary played relatively well. That said, we still need a corner and safety from this draft.

We started off with a pick in each of the first 3 rounds. We turned that into a monster DT to put next to McCoy, three second round picks, and JPP.

Not bad at all.

Yea, when you put it into perspective on what we got in this draft already its pretty nice JPP, Vea, and 3 2nd round picks, is unbelievable value.  If at the beginning of FA you had mentioned this no one would have believed it.

good watch. Sounds like he hasn’t even scratched the surface of his full potential. Still learning the game still learning techniques still learning offenses and defenses.

Passing on Derwin was hard for me as a fan but The two 2nd round picks ease the sting. Also glad Derwin went to the Chargers and not NO or CAR. I think this is a weaker DT class and a deeper S class so the logic is there. 

After sleeping on it I can dig the pick. I’m still a little skeptical when it comes to his play time and how he’ll hold up but To wind up with a monster like Vea and two extra 2nds is a win on draft night. I hope he gets to work with Gerald and learns some things. Definitely can bull rush that’s for sure. No more clean pockets for quarterbacks. Can’t wait for his PC at 2:00

As for safeties a few guys I like in the later rounds would be Marcus Allen Kyzir White Deshone Elliot. I also believe the Bucs like Watts.

I m not concerned on snap count % for Vea.   I didn't like GMC playing over 85 % of the snaps and not making critical plays in the 4th qtr.  With the way NFL offenses playing today with so much smoke screens and read options, dlinemen are running so much more sideline to sideline then the Sapp days.  Building the dline depth, no issue.

Archived