Bucs draft DT Vita Vea - SIGNED

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Watching this films makes me a little bit happier with the pick. That sack on Rosen was amazing and the fact that UCLA had to put 3 players on him to keep him away is crazy. This dude can beat double teams and has some nice quick spin moves. Just hope he can hold up in the weather and not give up on some plays as I saw in some of the videos. 

I know there has been so much post since picking, but here is 1 more. 

From nfl.com

Vea's combination of size and light feet are rare. In fact, even at about 350 pounds he was lining up as an edge rusher at times in 2016 to take advantage of his genetics. While only starting five of 14 games played as a sophomore, Pac-12 coaches voted him second-team all-conference after he compiled 39 stops, 6.5 for loss, and five sacks. Vea played in all 13 games as a reserve in 2015, posting 17 tackles, three for loss, and a sack. His play late in the year portended a bright future, though, as he forced a fumble against Washington State in the Huskies' Apple Cup win and had a sack in their bowl game. Vea did not qualify academically after finishing his high school career in Milpitas, California (eight sacks, 578 yards, 11 touchdowns rushing as a senior). He missed the 2013 season while staying home to take online courses to get himself eligible for the following fall when he redshirted with the Huskies.

Overview

Vea's tape can frustrating because he flashes star potential one series and then looks average the next. With that said, he's still very raw and should be judged by his ability rather than just his results as he should unlock his potential with more coaching. Vea has the size and power to play nose in an odd or even front and he could be targeted by 3-4 teams looking for dominant run defender on the end. He should work into a defensive line rotation immediately and has the ability to become a good NFL starter for years.

Strengths

NFL-worthy size with thick hips and powerful upper body

Can be very intimidating at point of attack

Able to overpower lighter guards and usually pummels centers when isolated on them

Has power to press blockers off of his frame and the hip rotation and flexibility to dislodge them

Also utilizes booming hump move that can topple blockers off their base as a pass rush counter

Able to grow roots and own his grass when pad level is right

Two-gap defender

Can punch, lock out, and locate the ball

Above average pursuit quickness for a big man

Able to shed blockers and range to down the line of scrimmage to squeeze running lanes and make tackles

Violent hands can clear hands from his frame or soften the blocker's edge when he's rushing the passer

Has serious bull-rush ability once he gains momentum early in rush

Still very raw with much more talent to unlock

Weaknesses

Loses his feet and hits the turf too often

Base and footwork can be compromised when he gets too far out over his toes

Has a tendency to allow pad level to rise too much during rep

Lacks feel for double teams and blocking schemes

Second block catches him off-guard and he often does not have hands in position to work against doubles

Initial get-off is below average

Heavy-stepper as a pass rusher

Doesn't have flexibility or foot quickness to win around the edge as pass rusher

Too quick to default to brute force over technique

Teams may view him as run down player only

5 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Watching Vea s introductory press conference, a really likeable guy, almost shy.  I really hope he reaches his potential.  I wish the reporter would have let him finish the rock lifting story .

I thought the same thing.

I had forgotten about Coach Buckner had a similiar scouting report coming out of Clemson as Vea.  Not the physical size, but ridiculous strength.  I feel confident Buckner is the line coach who will be able to maximize Vea because of their playing similiarities.  

23 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I hope he can drop like 15 pounds. It might help with his first step and it should definitely help his conditioning when it's 100 degrees and humid af.

A lot of the same concerns were voiced when Ngata was coming out of Oregon in regards to conditioning.  Interestingly, the Eagles drafted Broderick Bunkley over Ngata, oops.

14 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

A lot of the same concerns were voiced when Ngata was coming out of Oregon in regards to conditioning.  Interestingly, the Eagles drafted Broderick Bunkley over Ngata, oops.

There IS a difference between Baltimore and Tampa. ?

34 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

There IS a difference between Baltimore and Tampa. ?

I thought he was Polynessian who grew up in CA.  I find the question of him acclimating to FL humidity especially considering the team has an indoor practice facility silly. Safe to assume Koetter will be using the indoor practice facility liberally during training camp. Let s face it, this whole idea of FL heat wearing down opposing teams hasnt worked out so well over the last decade.  

I cant wait to see what his get off at the snap will be in this defense.  Playing 2 gap, he was asked to hold his ground, which he obviously did very well, but not penetrate.

Archived