Roquan Smith - ILB #8 overall

bkokot

19 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I am in the minority here I think. I look at Smith and see someone who really gets pushed around. Killer closing speed but OL and TE are going to squash him. 

Disappointed, but feeling better about it since everyone else seems high on the pick and has been around a lot longer than I... We'll see I guess.

He can learn to come off blocks better but that will happen with NFL coaching. Smith is very instinctive though and an outstanding tackler. He can become very good as in the modern NFL ILB's are 230-240 pounds.

Smith doesnt have to come off the field in Nickel which is a big plus.  People forget that Ray Ray and Pwilly werent good at coming off of blocks either, and neither was Lach for that matter.  Speedy LBers play better with monsters in front of them. Smith will have that in Hicks and Goldman eating space.  If Bullard or RRH continue their progression from last year, thats going to make life a lot easier for him.  Is 52 available?

Fangio now has a young athletic football player at every level of his defense.  If they can get Landry tomorrow, it could be something really special.

2 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

This pick actually seems to be going over well because the mocks said it’s good and we all know mocks the gold standard for grading picks.

Idc about mocks.  Smith is a good football player.  Not my first choice but im down to give Fangio the players he wants/needs.

Wasn't my first selection but starting to like this pick.  As far as undersized, look at the size of Patrick  Willis and Navarro Bowman.  Both were listed at 6'1 and around 240 lbs.  Also a solid LB who wasn't undersized and listed at that weight and height, our own Lance Briggs.  Smith's size is totally irrelevant to me.

10 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

This pick actually seems to be going over well because the mocks said it’s good and we all know mocks the gold standard for grading picks.

No, it’s good because he’s a really good football player. How it translates remains to be seen, but they drafted perhaps the best defensive player in the draft at #8

The national media is loving the pick.

The Bears needed to add an elite player. They just needed someone who can be a Center piece, not someone who might be something.

Smith will start from day 1 and never look back. Immediate impact for a team that is trying to ascend.

Smith is an outstanding player and a day 1 upgrade. This pick screams Fangio - build the strength of what is hopefully an elite defense up the middle, starting with an elite 5T and two excellent ILB. I’ve been after an edge rusher but impact players more than anything. Smith is definitely an impact player and a great addition. Grade A pick for me. 

I think this pick may signal a change in philosophy.

Now that the Bears have rid themselves of the Cutler contract and John Fox they are ascending.

They don’t need the upside risk that they took with White and Floyd. They need guys who can be counted on week 1.

Smith doesn’t fill a screaming need, but he is an elite prospect and I can’t see him busting. He is ready to play.

Wasn't my top choice, and I don't think he was in my top 5 potential targets  (Was hoping for Ward or Landry) but... it was going to be super hard to screw this pick up, and Roquan is a damn fine player at a position of sneaky need for us, so it's impossible to not be at least satisfied with the pick, imo.... I remember thinking he was the best player on either team in the Nat. Championship game... and our team needs those kinds of standout players.

4 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

You have the same hard on for mock drafts that Bearable did for fantasy football.  lol

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Wasn't my top choice, and I don't think he was in my top 5 potential targets  (Was hoping for Ward or Landry) but... it was going to be super hard to screw this pick up, and Roquan is a damn fine player at a position of sneaky need for us, so it's impossible to not be at least satisfied with the pick, imo.... I remember thinking he was the best player on either team in the Nat. Championship game... and our team needs those kinds of standout players.

Ward was off the board and Landry is still on the board after the first round. Landry might be there for the Bears 2nd. Pace took best player available like he said he would.

The more I watch Smith the more excited I am getting with this pick...very few LBs have this combination of raw speed and natural instincts....most guys are a step ahead due to one or the other...this guy always seems to be two steps ahead.

Archived