Roquan Smith - ILB #8 overall

bkokot

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Curry's story is different and we actually know a bit more about it now.  Curry never loved football.  Football was a way out of his surroundings and it was a means to providing for his family.  After he got his check and could set himself up for life, he didnt have near the passion for it anymore. 

That makes sense. I was reading an article about Curry's coaching career now, and it mentioned how he was the youngest of his family and never got enough to eat/had to ration his food, and his focus in making the NFL was to provide for his family. 4th overall pick that year got a $60M contract, so he was definitely set upon signing.

Again, just playing devil's advocate here. From everything i've read about Smith, that's not who he is, which i think is evident when he flipped from UCLA to UGA because a coach he had committed to left for the NFL. 

On 5/3/2018 at 7:54 AM, RunningVaccs said:

I for one, have a plan in place for hand-wringing, pointing out how thin the Bears are at pass rush, and loud things about Ryan Pace.  

RIght next to that plan's envelope is the one full of "THATS MY GUY" first time Roquan cleans up Aaron Rodgers or returns a fumble. 

People have to understand that this guy gets knocked down when he gets squared up by an O lineman, it happened in college and it will happen in pros.

That's just part of the package you get along with the cat quick sideline to sideline play maker.   The old school guys and media will throw up their hands and freak though. 

Most of them conveniently forget that Urlacher at 255 couldn't effectively take on direct blocks either, he is HOF AND played in fullback/iso era which barely exists anymore.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:27 AM, dll2000 said:

People have to understand that this guy gets knocked down when he gets squared up by an O lineman, it happened in college and it will happen in pros.

That's just part of the package you get along with the cat quick sideline to sideline play maker.   The old school guys and media will throw up their hands and freak though. 

Most of them conveniently forget that Urlacher at 255 couldn't effectively take on direct blocks either, he is HOF AND played in fullback/iso era which barely exists anymore.

You know who gets engulfed or knocked down when squared up by a 315 lb lineman? Every NFL linebacker. If Smith wasn’t able to avoid that frequently then he wouldn’t make half as many plays as he does. He certainly didn’t have much trouble showing out against McGlinchey and Nelson in the ND game, or in the championship game against an NFL talent laden Alabama team. 

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

You know who gets engulfed or knocked down when squared up by a 315 lb lineman? Every NFL linebacker. If Smith wasn’t able to avoid that frequently then he wouldn’t make half as many plays as he does. He certainly didn’t have much trouble showing out against McGlinchey and Nelson in the ND game, or in the championship game against an NFL talent laden Alabama team. 

And Bama has probably the most NFL like Oline in college football.

On 5/2/2018 at 3:10 PM, HuskieBear said:

I'm very happy with the Smith pick, I think he'll be very good. However, there is still a part of me that says the Bears can't have nice things. 

This sounds a lot like scouting reports of Smith. Can anyone guess who it is?

Aaron Curry. 4th overall pick in 2009. Widely regarded as the safest pick and an excellent pick. Played 4 years for 3 teams before being out of the league by 2013.

For every can't miss guy that actually misses there are 100 can miss guys that miss. I'll take 100 to 1 odds every time.

19 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yes, but what usually happens is they are neutralized or moved rather than put on ground.  Effectively it amounts to the same thing.  I am saying the aesthetics of being put on the ground may get played up more than it should.  

Telvin Smith: 215 pounds 

Deone Buchanan: 216 pounds 

Deion Jones: 222 pounds 

Shaq Thompson: 230 pounds 

Lavonte David: 233 pounds 

Thomas Davis: 235 pounds

Roquan Smith: 236 pounds

Luke Kuechly: 238 pounds

Yeah, Roquan Smith sure is way too small to play the position.

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Bears are the perfect spot for him. On 80% snaps he will have 660lbs of man in front of him.

That's the idea. Better suited for current state of the game.  More receivers are smaller and quicker, 1 back sets, screens, quick throws and RPOs.  Complete reversal from ISO play action schemes of 90's.

Need 2nd level speed more than size right now to match up.   You just need 3 big bodies to occupy 4-5 linemen zone blocking.  

Game will shift again. 

If you could find a true banger blocker FB who could also play TE (so they couldn't just change personnel to match up) you would have something because a lot of these teams are setting up nicely for an old fashioned I or offset I formation ISO man blocking play with double at point on small LBers who can't match up with that.

Colleges and HS run many of their RPO's off power (where guard pulls into A/B gap and is lead blocker).  It gives play time to develop so QB can make his read without linemen being downfield.  It's a ***** to stop because often their "R" in the RPO is the QB and they have you spread further.

Pros could do same and run their RPO's off ISO looks out of a traditional TE look or because NFL QBs have bigger arms they could do it out of spread look without overly risking their QB.  

These pro OCs are just scratching surface of RPOs and stress they put on defenses.  Way behind the college and hs coaches who have been playing with it and varying it a lot longer.  Though obviously they have a big advantage because they don't fear their QB getting hurt in same way.  Thing with football is you can catch up in 1 year or less what took years of trial and error to develop just by quickly copying someone else or picking up a phone.  

If MT can good at those quick reads, which like an option pitch just takes a 1000 reps until you are seeing and doing just the right thing and when, offense can be really hard to stop.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Roquan drew the highest initial defensive rookie overall rating (81) in the new Madden. 89 speed. 88 tackle. 80 zone coverage. 

For Madden he is an awesome ILB...I expect him to be the same in real life.

Archived