1st Round Pick (14th Overall): Traded to the Saints

CWood21

Just now, SSG said:

I don't think anyone is freaking out and I'd have much preferred us stay at 27, select the best available CB (which could have easily been Alexander IMO) and trade that 3rd for Martavis Bryant.  

And then pay Martavis Bryant next year? No thanks.

And according to the trade value chart I'm looking at, moving back up into the 3rd isn't gonna be that easy. Plus you have to find someone willing to take a bunch of low picks in order to do so.

To get back anywhere near our original 3rd round pick would cost us both 4ths and all three 5ths, leaving a 6th and two 7ths

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

And then pay Martavis Bryant next year? No thanks.

Assuming Bryant was clean I'd much rather pay him than Cobb who's also an UFA next year.  At least it gives us insurance this year something we absolutely don't have.  As it sits right now we've got 2 NFL caliber WRs and a bunch of guys who aren't anything more than practice squad caliber.  If Adams gets banged up our offense is going to be screwed.  This offense has shown just how terrible it is capable of being when we don't have capable talent on the outside.  Adams is the only WR we've got on the roster who's shown he's capable of playing on the permitter.  Is what it is but I'd loved to have the uber athletic Bryant on the outside instead of Allison who has the athleticism of a mediocre TE.

4 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Whatever. Gute could've gotten Chubb and Ward both and you guys would still find a way to *****. 

Right, and he could have traded our entire draft for any warm body and you'd have hailed it as the best draft EVER.  Guess it works both ways.  Some are more pessimistic while others have never seen a move that wasn't' great.

40 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Guessing it was  Ward, Chubb, or Minkah we wanted to trade up for. Guess we didn't want Derwin James.

I am not sure that we didn't want James.  I think that at 14 they liked:  Davenport, Edmunds, James, and Alexander.  As soon as three of them went off the board, Gute traded back in.  I think the extra first next year was just too much to pass up.  

You probably nailed the trade up targets.  Either the price was too steep, or teams were content to take their guy.  Only Tampa moved up for a non-QB in the picks before the Packers' natural pick.

21 minutes ago, SSG said:

Right, and he could have traded our entire draft for any warm body and you'd have hailed it as the best draft EVER.  Guess it works both ways.  Some are more pessimistic while others have never seen a move that wasn't' great.

Trust me, the pessimism is far more rampant here. There's no question about it. 

41 minutes ago, cannondale said:

And according to the trade value chart I'm looking at, moving back up into the 3rd isn't gonna be that easy. Plus you have to find someone willing to take a bunch of low picks in order to do so

We have literally the first pick after the 3rd round finishes. If you're so set on getting into the 3rd, it will not be hard.

A 2nd, two 4ths, four 5ths... we have a lot to work with.

5 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

We have literally the first pick after the 3rd round finishes. If you're so set on getting into the 3rd, it will not be hard.

What position would you draft next?

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

What position would you draft next?

WR or EDGE. I don't know a ton about these guys, but it seems there is a lot of talent available right now—Sutton, Kirk, Chark, Miller, Carter, Landry, Hubbard. And I've heard the mid-rounds are supposed to be the sweet spot of this draft. Perhaps even trade down from #45 with a team like ATL or PIT and get picks #58/60 and #90/92.

58 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

56 players will come off the board between our second and fourth round picks. Think about that for a second.  I'm not ok with that with this roster.

And it would cost both of our 4ths and all three of our 5ths to get back anywhere near our original 3rd. Plus you have to find someone willing to want that. Good Luck

20 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

WR or EDGE. I don't know a ton about these guys, but it seems there is a lot of talent available right now—Sutton, Kirk, Chark, Miller, Carter, Landry, Hubbard. And I've heard the mid-rounds are supposed to be the sweet spot of this draft. Perhaps even trade down from #45 with a team like ATL or PIT and get picks #58/60 and #90/92.

Yeah. I'm torn. The way I think this draft was "reviewed" the EDGE talent was thinner than the CB/DB talent. Hence, the general idea we should / would select an EDGE guy first.

Well, out the window with that theory.......

So now - we're in prime WR territory IMO - round 2 - and minus any round 3 selection at the moment, I tend to think we need to draft Nelson's replacement in Round 2 - cause waiting around till 4 wont (or might not.....) get us a productive body.

1 hour ago, SSG said:

I'm just lost how anyone could think the trades we're bad. We traded down 4 spots and got a 1st next year for a 3rd? Plus traded away a 6th for a 5th and 7th I believe.

I'd do that trade every year and pick up an extra 1st for my 3rd and draft in the first twice every year. 

Archived