1st Round Pick (14th Overall): Traded to the Saints

CWood21

58 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I am not sure that we didn't want James.  I think that at 14 they liked:  Davenport, Edmunds, James, and Alexander.  As soon as three of them went off the board, Gute traded back in.  I think the extra first next year was just too much to pass up.  

You probably nailed the trade up targets.  Either the price was too steep, or teams were content to take their guy.  Only Tampa moved up for a non-QB in the picks before the Packers' natural pick.

True

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

56 players will come off the board between our second and fourth round picks. Think about that for a second.  I'm not ok with that with this roster.

And it would cost both of our 4ths and all three of our 5ths to get back anywhere near our original 3rd. Plus you have to find someone willing to want that. Good Luck

This team doesn't have as many holes as you think. 

4 hours ago, Burnett42 said:

I'm just lost how anyone could think the trades we're bad. We traded down 4 spots and got a 1st next year for a 3rd? Plus traded away a 6th for a 5th and 7th I believe.

I'd do that trade every year and pick up an extra 1st for my 3rd and draft in the first twice every year. 

The only people who are upset about this trade are the people who really wanted Davenport, James or somebody else drafted 14th-17th.  For a team consistently having low amounts of draft capital and low draft picks, moving to 18th overall and picking up an extra first round pick the following year at the cost of a third round pick is the best thing you could possibly hope for. 

18th overall is STILL the highest pick we've had since 2009. 

Look at their schedule, too.  After their bye week things get brutal.  In their final 11 games, they have 6 road games.  They go to Baltimore, then Minnesota.  After that they play the Rams, Bengals, Eagles, Falcons, Cowboys, Buccaneers, Panthers, Steelers, Panthers. 

29 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Look at their schedule, too.  After their bye week things get brutal.  In their final 11 games, they have 6 road games.  They go to Baltimore, then Minnesota.  After that they play the Rams, Bengals, Eagles, Falcons, Cowboys, Buccaneers, Panthers, Steelers, Panthers. 

I think the Falcons will win the division. I'm hoping they go 7-9. Last year they had almost no injuries at all and a lot of close games.

A year out that draft looks good to me and the DL class could be the best in years. Clemson has three top tier guys, Gary from Michigan, and Oliver from Houston are all really good. 

9 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Gute said there was interest in moving up early on in the draft but it died down as players came off the board. Your guess is as good as mine who they wanted, but I'd guess Chubb, James, Minkah were up there.

Given that they traded down with Derwin James on the board, it's unlikely that they would have traded up for him.  Probably Chubb/Ward/Minkah.

48 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I still can't believe we traded 14 and a 3rd for 18 and a 1st.

That's wizard-level manipulation...

How everyone isn't beside themselves I dunno.

true, now if they can package 9 of the 10 day 3 picks & get back into the 3rd/2nd round once or twice again id be in heaven

8 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I am not sure that we didn't want James.  I think that at 14 they liked:  Davenport, Edmunds, James, and Alexander.  As soon as three of them went off the board, Gute traded back in.  I think the extra first next year was just too much to pass up.  

You probably nailed the trade up targets.  Either the price was too steep, or teams were content to take their guy.  Only Tampa moved up for a non-QB in the picks before the Packers' natural pick.

I think it had more to do with the flexibility that '19 FRP offers.  Let's say worst case scenario, Packers end up with 30 and 31 next year.  That would allow the Packers to move into that 11-12 range.  That's a TON of flexibility to have.

Archived