1st Round Pick (14th Overall): Traded to the Saints

CWood21

49 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I still can't believe we traded 14 and a 3rd for 18 and a 1st.

That's wizard-level manipulation...

How everyone isn't beside themselves I dunno.

You're right - if we can get ourselves back in the third round and patch that hole.

The player (JA) we could have had at 14 w/o a trade.

So while yeah - two 1st next year is nice - it will be even nicer if we can get ourselves back into the 3rd and in a somewhat normal sequencing to address our needs this year.

IMO of course.

8 hours ago, cannondale said:

And according to the trade value chart I'm looking at, moving back up into the 3rd isn't gonna be that easy. Plus you have to find someone willing to take a bunch of low picks in order to do so.

To get back anywhere near our original 3rd round pick would cost us both 4ths and all three 5ths, leaving a 6th and two 7ths

Ignore the trade chart.   Look at the draft history of moving back into the late 3rd.  It really doesn't cost much.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it had more to do with the flexibility that '19 FRP offers.  Let's say worst case scenario, Packers end up with 30 and 31 next year.  That would allow the Packers to move into that 11-12 range.  That's a TON of flexibility to have.

FRP?

11 hours ago, cannondale said:

We better - I just can't get over giving up a third this year while getting essentially a late 2nd next year 

Not making fun here....but when it went down...and we lost that third round pick, I instantly felt bad for you because I knew how much you valued that pick.  

I hope that we trade a 4'th and some of those 5's to get that third back for yah.

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Given that they traded down with Derwin James on the board, it's unlikely that they would have traded up for him.  Probably Chubb/Ward/Minkah.

I agree with that observation. As soon Fitzpatrick was taken I felt a trade down was always likely. To get a 2018 and 2019 1st rounders is pretty good going.

I guess the rumor that the Packers loved Derwin James was just a smokescreen. I've always felt that it was a smokescreen as it is well documented that Gute is a big proponent of Josh James who plays in exactly the same position.

35 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not making fun here....but when it went down...and we lost that third round pick, I instantly felt bad for you because I knew how much you valued that pick.  

I hope that we trade a 4'th and some of those 5's to get that third back for yah.

Interesting that we had a very similar conversation pre-draft. I'm not a fan of pushing assets and certainly not a fan of pushing assets and losing assets in the same draft. It leaves 56 pick gaps that we have now that will be difficult to even out

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The only people who are upset about this trade are the people who really wanted Davenport, James or somebody else drafted 14th-17th.  For a team consistently having low amounts of draft capital and low draft picks, moving to 18th overall and picking up an extra first round pick the following year at the cost of a third round pick is the best thing you could possibly hope for. 

18th overall is STILL the highest pick we've had since 2009. 

Saints have gone 7-9 11-5, 7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5 over the past 6 years. 

Don't know why everyone is acting like they're a guarantee to go back to the playoffs. 

Look at their schedule, too.  After their bye week things get brutal.  In their final 11 games, they have 6 road games.  They go to Baltimore, then Minnesota.  After that they play the Rams, Bengals, Eagles, Falcons, Cowboys, Buccaneers, Panthers, Steelers, Panthers. 

God help me, but I agree with all of this.

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The only people who are upset about this trade are the people who really wanted Davenport, James or somebody else drafted 14th-17th.  For a team consistently having low amounts of draft capital and low draft picks, moving to 18th overall and picking up an extra first round pick the following year at the cost of a third round pick is the best thing you could possibly hope for. 

18th overall is STILL the highest pick we've had since 2009. 

Not true. I'm fine with the Alexander pick. And I don't care if he was picked at #14 or #27.

Don't look now, but we now have low amounts of capital this year unless you consider numerous 5-7 round picks high capital

29 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Not true. I'm fine with the Alexander pick. And I don't care if he was picked at #14 or #27.

Don't look now, but we now have low amounts of capital this year unless you consider numerous 5-7 round picks high capital

I would trade a 3rd every single year if it meant getting an extra 1st the next year. 

4 hours ago, cannondale said:

What exactly do you want?

(Before day 2 starts) we have 1 second round pick, and ~1/10 of the picks on day 3, including the opening pick of the day.  If there is someone we want to go get in round 4 or 5, we can get them.  If someone else sees someone they need, they probably call up the Packers to see if they can make a deal.  We should control the third day of the draft.  

We also got a first rounder next season without giving up a first or second round pick in this draft.

4 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

What exactly do you want?

(Before day 2 starts) we have 1 second round pick, and ~1/10 of the picks on day 3, including the opening pick of the day.  If there is someone we want to go get in round 4 or 5, we can get them.  If someone else sees someone they need, they probably call up the Packers to see if they can make a deal.  We should control the third day of the draft.  

We also got a first rounder next season without giving up a first or second round pick in this draft.

Control of the 3rd day doesn't excite me. (and that's a stretch - its just the first pick - it's not quite as strong as it used to be)

I want a 3rd rounder back - a trade back in the second is fine. A trade up into the mid 3rd is fine. I don't want 56 picks to go by without a choice

Archived