Falcons extend Devonta Freeman

GSUeagles14

16 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I'd have to say your complaint isnt with Freeman or the Falcons but with how the league in general values the RB position. In the current market, the Falcons did very well with this contract. 

I'm evaluating from my perceived value of the player vs the contract he received, not the league average for a RB of his play vs his contract.

In short you're right that it's mainly because I think teams are overvaluing RB, but that still means I think the Falcons made a mistake by overpaying him. With Coleman on the roster, I think a better move would be to let him walk. It wasn't an absurd overpay, mind you, which is why I said it was only "a little too much".

10 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

In short you're right that it's mainly because I think teams are overvaluing RB, but that still means I think the Falcons made a mistake by overpaying him. With Coleman on the roster, I think a better move would be to let him walk. It wasn't an absurd overpay, mind you, which is why I said it was only "a little too much".

Understandable. When you consider the team options and how the length of contract will allow them to cut ties once he begins to decline and I'd say it might nullify the positional value error. 

On side note, since you mentioned Coleman, I wouldnt be surprised to see him walk and get a similar deal on the open market. 

14 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm evaluating from my perceived value of the player vs the contract he received, not the league average for a RB of his play vs his contract.

The best thing about the contract is we have Coleman for 2 more years and can franchise him for 1 more year if need be and almost all of Freemans guaranteed will be paid in the 1st 3 years.  Meaning once Colemans contract comes up if he is still performing at a very high level we can actually trade or cut Freeman if need be without taking a big hit at all to our cap and then sign Coleman to a big contract if need be.    The way he split them up and setup the contracts were perfect if they choose to keep the RB position strong for the next 5 to 10 years.

Archived