1.13 (13) Washington Redskins select Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Woz

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So the question is, stay put at 13 or get some combination of 

A) Guice/Michel/Chubb/Penny/etc., plus No. 147 (5th round), 1st rounder 2019
B) Josh Jackson plus No. 147 (5th round), 1st rounder 2019
C) Will Hernandez plus No. 147 (5th round), 1st rounder 2019
D) Harold Landry plus No. 147 (5th round), 1st rounder 2019

Bonus: Maybe Payne falls and we still get him plus No. 147 (5th round), 1st rounder 2019

Well? I would have opted for A or C definitely.Would have been fine with B. Obviously there are other options. Just listed some.

There's something sexy about taking someone's future 1st. 

brosweets.jpg

"Kid Bro" hammering the coaching staff and front office and the Payne Pick

We dont know how to run a 3/4 and should be running a 4/3 because we dont have the big talented NT. The way we run the 3/4 is simple for the other team to figure out

Payne got blown off the ball way too much by Wynn from Georgia and during Notre Dame pick. 

Wants him to be successful, but he wouldn't have drafted Payne 

Saying we need to add another big body on DL or the rush guy from Boston College

Take a running back in fourth round or later and build your defensive front 7

Image result for portis hugging to dan snyder

wonder who what hes saying to Lil Danny? 

I'm not exactly sure what Portis' opinion of a NT is actually worth? Tomsula is one hell of a DL coach and he had to have signed off on this so I'll go with his opinion over CPorts. They finally got a NT, I'm happy. No more Ziggy Hood getting blown 10 yards out of the way while literally anyone runs for 7 YPC against us.

20 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I can’t imagine hating this pick after getting ran all over by literally everyone last year. Just blows my mind people are upset with this pick. 

You mean the last 7 of the last 8 years? ? 

The Redskins have only had one year this decade that was good at stopping the run and that was only in 2011 when Bowen, Carriker and Cofield all stayed healthy. Sadly, the promise of that solid DL in 2011 was just a flash in the pan due to Bowen and Carriker’s injuries the next year.

I usually agree with Portis a lot but I just couldn’t disagree with him more on this.

He does realize that Wynn was a LT at Georgia and rarely - if ever - lined up one on one to block Payne who was at NT.

Also, Portis clearly doesn’t understand our defense and probably doesn’t realize - like Mar said - that we play with a 4 man front 66% of the time or more.

Portis’s last point contradicts his position on being against the Payne pick. We did build our defensive front 7, we drafted a NT in round 1 you dunce cap! Jeeze! Hilarious ? 

^ good read. Makes me all the more curious and intrigued with how Manusky elects to utilize him. Lots of 3 or 1 tech inside next to Allen while in Nickel? Out at DE with Ioa/Taylor inside at NT while in base D? 

This selection looks all the better in value if Payne can really be effective as more than a 2 down stuffer. 

Payne is going to be more than a 2-down run stuffer. He has to work on his pass rushing moves and his leverage which Jim will improve for him just like he did for Ioannidis.

I still think Payne is the starting NT, it’s a one-tech position which fits him perfectly. He’ll be rotated in when we go with 4 DL/2-DTs with Allen, Ioannidis and Lanier. McGee will continue to be mostly just a 5-tech and 2 down player. It remains to be seen how much playing time the 6th and/or 7th DL get. The good news is that while both Taylor and Settle weigh 330 pounds, they can not only rotates in at NT some and plays in short yardage but they’re athletic enough with good feet to also play 5-tech and 3-tech.

Weve definitely got bigger and stronger in the DL with the additions of Payne and Settle and I LOVE it.

On 4/28/2018 at 10:03 PM, turtle28 said:

It’s a young man’s game when it comes to being physical up front. Teams with young deep front 7’s on defense are generally the teams that have the most sucsess and can be the most dangerous come playoff time because that cold weather tough teams seem to be hard to break

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

It’s a young man’s game when it comes to being physical up front. Teams with young deep front 7’s on defense are generally the teams that have the most sucsess and can be the most dangerous come playoff time because that cold weather tough teams seem to be hard to break

Things like this are why I say the Redskins should draft at least one lineman per side of the ball every year, and that every third year, the pick needs to be a top 100 pick.

Note: because they took two defensive linemen this year, including a high round one, they can skip next year on the DL ... still can take someone if they like them, though.

Archived