1.13 (13) Washington Redskins select Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Woz

40 minutes ago, Woz said:

Things like this are why I say the Redskins should draft at least one lineman per side of the ball every year, and that every third year, the pick needs to be a top 100 pick.

Note: because they took two defensive linemen this year, including a high round one, they can skip next year on the DL ... still can take someone if they like them, though.

I agree completely!! Everyone wants the sexy pick but the big guys make those sexy picks succeed

8 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I agree completely!! Everyone wants the sexy pick but the big guys make those sexy picks succeed

I still remember being this way when younger. Now, I find myself regarding the trench players as "the sexy picks."  :) 

I think next draft we’ll likely be drafting an ILB and C/OG within the first 3 rounds. Foster and Lavaou are just stop gaps for another year - two at the most - until we find long term options at those two spots.

Obviously depending on what happens with our young guys at CB, OLB, TE and  WR those could also be early targets.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think next draft we’ll likely be drafting an ILB and C/OG within the first 3 rounds. Foster and Lavaou are just stop gaps for another year - two at the most - until we find long term options at those two spots.

Obviously depending on what happens with our young guys at CB, OLB, TE and  WR those could also be early targets.

Mind if I add in quarterback 

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’d like to see what Shaun Dion-Hamilton does but McShay has us going back to the Alabama well next year with Anfernee Jennings which I’d love. I’m really not big on spending first round picks on receivers anymore unless he has outrageous talent so I’d lean towards ILB, OLB, QB or OT in the first round next year. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’d like to see what Shaun Dion-Hamilton does but McShay has us going back to the Alabama well next year with Anfernee Jennings which I’d love. I’m really not big on spending first round picks on receivers anymore unless he has outrageous talent so I’d lean towards ILB, OLB, QB or OT in the first round next year. 

I doubt we take a QB in round 1 until Smith has been here a few years, like what the Chiefs did. I could see a QB in round 3 or 4 to develop as a back up -hopefully he develops into a starter some day - and letting Colt walk.

I don’t see OT, they just drafted Christian who is Moses like to me in terms of needing development - except his more athletic but not as big - I think he gets a few years to prove he belongs before they go back to that well again.

ILB & interior OL are most likely to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 12:17 AM, Eric said:

Hard to have a dominant roster from top to bottom and if you do its salary cap hell.

We would have been a lot better off salary cap wise if we had drafted a rookie QB instead of paying Alex Smith all that money.  

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We would have been a lot better off salary cap wise if we had drafted a rookie QB instead of paying Alex Smith all that money.  

But we’d be a bottom feeder team if we would’ve went with a rookie. We paid less for a Qb who is comparable to Kirk Cousins, it doesn’t seem like the worse decision in the world.

I spent a good long time writing and then deleting various responses to that message. It sliced and diced that message in multiple cases. I'll just say I disagree but we'll find out in four to six months.

I ended up not posting it because A) we'll just get into yet another not-really-but-somewhat-yelling match about the QB situation and I just don't want to go there today, and B) the thread is about Da'Ron Payne so let's keep it there.

7 hours ago, Woz said:

I spent a good long time writing and then deleting various responses to that message. It sliced and diced that message in multiple cases. I'll just say I disagree but we'll find out in four to six months.

I ended up not posting it because A) we'll just get into yet another not-really-but-somewhat-yelling match about the QB situation and I just don't want to go there today, and B) the thread is about Da'Ron Payne so let's keep it there.

Maybe you could’ve quoted the source of the Alex Smith discussion in the Da’Ron Payne thread.

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe you could’ve quoted the source of the Alex Smith discussion in the Da’Ron Payne thread.

Probably right. Forgot that one was there.

Should anyone wish to continue on the Alex Smith conversation (I have a feeling that this is going to become the "All Things Alex Smith" thread):

Archived