1st Round Pick (18th Overall): Jaire Alexander [CB; Louisville]

CWood21

This looks like a great value for the Packers. But somehow I wonder if Gute overthought it. Two great defensive prospects unexpectedly fell to him, at positions of need, and he passed both of them up. I wonder if he thought Alexander was just as good as James, so that's why he did this. 

Love the pick, people that wanted Ward, this guy is almost the same player with better ball skills. Size means nothing as long as they're a good player imo. He will play in the slot and Tramon/King outside. For as much as it seemed bleak early in FA at corner. We now have a formidable secondary again. 

I'm gonna be salty that we didn't get James even though we acquired a 1st round pick, but at least they picked up a good player trading back up. 2nd best corner on many peoples board isn't a bad consultation prize.

1 minute ago, SSG said:

Be careful thinking like that though.  There were 2 third round rookies who were pro bowlers last year.  There were probably 5 others who were very good starters for their squads.  While the first helps us next year trading the 3rd this year was a kick too the face for next year's team.  We've got a window that is closing as fast as any team's in the league....

Getting Mo I think will negate that 3rd rounder, I'm very high on the big man though.

OMG

The 14th pick turned into the 27th pick.  We added the Saints #1 pick in 2019.  We also added the Saints fifth round pick.

The 27th pick turned into the 18th overall pick.  We lost a third round pick this year, a 6th round pick and we gained a 7th round pick.

THIS MEANS:

We moved from 14th overall to 18th overall.

We gained a 1st round pick in 2019.  We lost our third round pick.  We gained a 5th round pick, lost a 6th round pick, added a seventh round pick.

Here's Jon Eric-Sullivan, college scouting director.

Jaire is a guy we targeted all along. Liked from the outside. Nicked up a little this year. He's a guy that was team captain. He's very much a competitor. He's got really good ball skills. He can play inside or outside. Very good punt returner. I'll let Brian speak about the moves. What I can say is were're really excited. Kind of person we have in the locker room.

We think he's versatile. He's a 4.3 guy. Really good twitch and lateral agility. He's instinctive. He'll tackle you. Can play inside and outside.

We feel he's a playmaker both defense and special teams.

(on height) Not a huge concern. He was nicked up, that happens. We felt good about the whole situation, durability.

He's a playmaker when he gets his hands on the ball. That's a different element he brings (punt returning). In terms of value, he has value as a return man.

He's scrappy, he's competitive. I think when you watch the tape, very competitive. Gets in people's business. Talks a little bit.

Very few corners, when they play the game, can you feel them close space. Can feel him close space both forward and backward. On top of that, he's quick. We think he's got the makeup to be a high quality player.

Very outgoing, confident. Well-spoken. Confident air about him. impressive kid.

asked about injury: We're not going to talk about medical, but I'll say that we feel fine about his medical.

Archived