Steelers trade Bryant to Raiders

49erurtaza

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Still. the Raiders werent going to find someone with Bryant's talent in the 3rd.     Only reason Im happy is because we didnt really NEED him and he wouldve been gone next year anyway.

I'd argue that Deon Cain is basically a Martavis Bryant clone - inconsistent deep threat who can boom or bust. Cain isn't staring at year long suspension for using a substance that is now legal for recreational use in both CA and NV - so now Bryant is in the epicenter of all of that. This should end well.

Great get for the Steelers, but Oakland has to be very careful.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

I'd argue that Deon Cain is basically a Martavis Bryant clone - inconsistent deep threat who can boom or bust. Cain isn't staring at year long suspension for using a substance that is now legal for recreational use in both CA and NV.

But you know what youre getting with Bryant....even if its not all good, you at least know youre getting someone who has proven he can be productive in this league. 

So, you can either spend a 3rd on a somewhat proven player like Bryant, or you can spend a 3rd on a completely unproven, but similar player in Cain.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

But you know what youre getting with Bryant....even if its not all good, you at least know youre getting someone who has proven he can be productive in this league. 

So, you can either spend a 3rd on a somewhat proven player like Bryant, or you can spend a 3rd on a completely unproven, but similar player in Cain.

I'm not discounting that, but you know it comes with a pretty significant caviat - guy is teetering on the edge of a pretty significant suspension, might be on his last thread in the league.

On that alone, he's got to be considered a major risk. But, the Raiders didn't really get a discount on his services for that.

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't understand why this wasn't Lynch and the Niners making this deal. We have two 3rd rounders smh. Bryant would have been worth the risk and adding his size to Kid Shanny's WR corps would have been a great get.

No more knuckleheads for a while please.

Don't need dude to start throwing shade at Jimmy G or the organization when he isn't getting his targets. Which he apparently was doing to Big Ben.

6 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'd argue that Deon Cain is basically a Martavis Bryant clone - inconsistent deep threat who can boom or bust. Cain isn't staring at year long suspension for using a substance that is now legal for recreational use in both CA and NV - so now Bryant is in the epicenter of all of that. This should end well.

I like Cain, but he's nowhere near the physical talent Bryant is. It's not even close.

Bryant has also proven he can score touchdowns consistently at the highest level over the top. He's also showed up in playoff games.

Bryant can effortlessly separate vertically from most corners. I don't know why he wasn't used even more as a vertical threat than what we saw. 

Speculating on a player choosing to ruin their own career when they've been clean for over a year is hilarious. Just like calling Cain  "clone" of Bryant. But hey, to each their own.

15 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Jordy Nelson wasn't a slot WR since his rookie year I think.

You thought wrong.  Jordy Nelson has played a substantial amount of snaps in the slot in 2016 and 2017.  Giving him snaps in the slot is one of the biggest reasons the offense caught fire down the stretch in 2016.

9 minutes ago, SSG said:

You thought wrong.  Jordy Nelson has played a substantial amount of snaps in the slot in 2016 and 2017.  Giving him snaps in the slot is one of the biggest reasons the offense caught fire down the stretch in 2016.

Gruden has been on record he thinks Cooper is at his best in the slot, and mentioned he will play a lot of there this year. That was before we signed Nelson though. It'll be interesting to see how he utilizes the big 3.

8 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Cain isn't staring at year long suspension for using a substance that is now legal for recreational use in both CA and NV - so now Bryant is in the epicenter of all of that. This should end well.

LOL at this narrative. First of all Bryant was living in Vegas during his suspended year. I have a friend here that runs a CBD company and helped Martavis with his addiction issues. He’s already been clean a whole year now. I think it’s safe to say he’s learned his lesson. 

2 hours ago, SSG said:

Do you have the snap count?

Bryant will not be pleased. He got lost in the shuffle in Pittsburgh with Brown and Juju, and now he'll have Cooper and Jordy to snag targets from him. 

He would've benefited in Green Bay as a legit #2 with Graham drawing coverage away from him. IMO, that would've been his best-case scenario.

In any event, it's great that the Steelers were able to get something for a guy they didn't need and wasn't resigning with them.

Contract situation is the biggest part of the problem in this but I haven’t heard any indications that he thinks he’s worth the moon. Guy has been humbled and I think has the talent and chip on his shoulder to beast it. He was just on a team with the best WR talent and a little Inconsistency dug him into a hole hard to get out of given the other options. He is hungry, proven to have some high end talent capability and I think humbled and more mature ( not a Gordon type guy with his family and last years speaking up was more a case of a talented guy getting lost in a talented offense in a prove it year). I think he can do big things and can be worth a 3rd rounder. 

Steelers did well as they still have Antonio who is so good a 2nd WR can get lost and Juju who was so good a guy as talented as Martavis could get lost. The owner this trade even if he blows up but Raiders got a guy who is better than any WR I’d take inthe 3rd which is fine value if they really wanted to draft that position. 

On 4/27/2018 at 5:39 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Gruden has been on record he thinks Cooper is at his best in the slot, and mentioned he will play a lot of there this year. That was before we signed Nelson though. It'll be interesting to see how he utilizes the big 3.

If Chucky's as smart as he thinks, he'd make them all interchangeable. Create mismatches since all 3 can and have played the slot. No reason to have set in stone X-Y-Z receivers.

Archived