Jump to content
49erurtaza

Steelers trade Bryant to Raiders

Recommended Posts

On 27/04/2018 at 5:27 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Good deal for both sides IMO....pending Bryant stays out of trouble.

Bryant could be dominant with Carr.  Will open up alot of short and intermediate stuff for the Raiders.   However, his inconsistency can be aggravating.    Even with all the big plays he provides, its annoying having a guy who feels like he could be so much more.

Still. the Raiders werent going to find someone with Bryant's talent in the 3rd.     Only reason Im happy is because we didnt really NEED him and he wouldve been gone next year anyway.

Best of luck to the Raiders and Martavis.     I still like him and hope he succeeds....even if he doesnt live up to what he COULD be.

Didn't you get him in the 4th round? So you've got a few seasons of good production out of him, complementing an offense that let Brown run riot, then you flog him for greater draft captial than you originally got him for? I don't think it's a good deal for both sides, I think Pittsburgh have pulled Oakland's pants down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Didn't you get him in the 4th round? So you've got a few seasons of good production out of him, complementing an offense that let Brown run riot, then you flog him for greater draft captial than you originally got him for? I don't think it's a good deal for both sides, I think Pittsburgh have pulled Oakland's pants down.

We traded a proven talented player for an unproven commodity. Even if Bryant remains an inconsistent, one-dimensional deep threat, he still may very well provide more value then an unproven 3rd round pick... In this case, Mason Rudolph. I was originally happy about the trade, and I actually kind of like Rudolph, but the Steelers are in win-now mode, and we traded a player that could have helped us win in 2018, for a backup quarterback that may not get a chance to be our starting quarterback for at least 2 years, if not longer... If ever.

Reality is, we won't know who truly won this trade for a few years. Even if the Raiders only get a year of decent production out of Bryant... It could be more than we got from Rudolph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

We traded a proven talented player for an unproven commodity. Even if Bryant remains an inconsistent, one-dimensional deep threat, he still may very well provide more value then an unproven 3rd round pick... In this case, Mason Rudolph. I was originally happy about the trade, and I actually kind of like Rudolph, but the Steelers are in win-now mode, and we traded a player that could have helped us win in 2018, for a backup quarterback that may not get a chance to be our starting quarterback for at least 2 years, if not longer... If ever.

Reality is, we won't know who truly won this trade for a few years. Even if the Raiders only get a year of decent production out of Bryant... It could be more than we got from Rudolph.

 

This is also a massive upgrade from Seth Roberts, who really has no strengths at this point in his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This is also a massive upgrade from Seth Roberts, who really has no strengths at this point in his career.

He's one hell of a blocker. But yea that's really it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎01‎-‎05‎-‎2018 at 9:56 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Didn't you get him in the 4th round? So you've got a few seasons of good production out of him, complementing an offense that let Brown run riot, then you flog him for greater draft captial than you originally got him for? I don't think it's a good deal for both sides, I think Pittsburgh have pulled Oakland's pants down.

I'm not sure if that is great logic. Just because you got more then you drafted him for doesnt make it a good trade. To the extreme it would be like the pats saying in 2002: hey we got an offer to trade Brady for a 2nd round pick. Let's take that proposal, cause its much more then we used to draft this guy and he won us a superbowl in the process, so great value.

It all depends on what production Bryant will provide for the Raiders, compared to what they could have drafted in the 3rd. Or vice versa: what the Steelers gave up on and what the new kid returns.

I think Bryant can play and could be worth this pick, but the fact that the Steelers gave up on him doesnt give me much hope tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roninho said:

I'm not sure if that is great logic. Just because you got more then you drafted him for doesnt make it a good trade. To the extreme it would be like the pats saying in 2002: hey we got an offer to trade Brady for a 2nd round pick. Let's take that proposal, cause its much more then we used to draft this guy and he won us a superbowl in the process, so great value.

It all depends on what production Bryant will provide for the Raiders, compared to what they could have drafted in the 3rd. Or vice versa: what the Steelers gave up on and what the new kid returns.

I think Bryant can play and could be worth this pick, but the fact that the Steelers gave up on him doesnt give me much hope tbh

The Steelers didn't necessarily give up on him in the sense that he wasn't good enough. He wanted the ball more and there is just a lot of talent on the Steelers offense. He will be fine if he gets the ball as much as a number 2 or 3 receiver, but he was behind Bell and Brown in focus of the offense to start the year already and then JuJu started outperforming him. There just wasn't enough touches to go around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have Brown, Ju-Ju, and just drafted James Washington. I don't think that their offense will skip a beat. Bryant is great when he's not suspended, but that's always a wildcard. A 3rd rounder for him is nice value. From Oakland's end, they get another nice WR for them to help take some pressure off of Cooper and it gives them a great Red Zone/possession guy on the outside for Carr.

I think this trade is good for both parties personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martavis brings a dimension to our offense that we have lacked. My only concern is that like the Steelers, we have other talent on offense and Carr likes to spread it around. I know MB will want to have a big year as his contract is up at the end of the season, he will get his opportunities but he will not be the main option in Oakland. I see DC connecting with Jordy(much like he did with Crab) more than Martavis, Gruden has also made it known that Amari will be a huge factor in our offense. So, I fear that Martavis will be in the same situation in Oakland that he was in Pitt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2018 at 9:58 AM, Roninho said:

I'm not sure if that is great logic. Just because you got more then you drafted him for doesnt make it a good trade. To the extreme it would be like the pats saying in 2002: hey we got an offer to trade Brady for a 2nd round pick. Let's take that proposal, cause its much more then we used to draft this guy and he won us a superbowl in the process, so great value.

It all depends on what production Bryant will provide for the Raiders, compared to what they could have drafted in the 3rd. Or vice versa: what the Steelers gave up on and what the new kid returns.

I think Bryant can play and could be worth this pick, but the fact that the Steelers gave up on him doesnt give me much hope tbh

Well, Brady was the QB of a SB winning team at that point, so the comparison is a little off

You're right it does depend on Bryant's production, on second thoughts. If he's the next Moss for you guys or something, then obviously it's a great trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2018 at 9:48 PM, SSG said:

Guess this means Jordy is playing in the slot where he was pretty dominate with AR12 throwing him the ball.  Like this deal for both teams.

Actually Amari Cooper will be playing more in the slot, not Jordy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2018 at 2:30 PM, canadaluvsdallas said:

Expendable after drafting James Washington. Thier game is similar but Washington is clean off the field.

You're kidding right? Being a deep threat in college is not even close to a guarantee that it'll translate to the league.

Yes, that 4.54 40 will definitely translate to 50+ yard touchdowns on NFL cornerbacks, the same way that 5'11 frame will allow him to box out like Bryant at 6'4.
Where do people even come up with these takes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You're kidding right? Being a deep threat in college is not even close to a guarantee that it'll translate to the league.

Yes, that 4.54 40 will definitely translate to 50+ yard touchdowns on NFL cornerbacks, the same way that 5'11 frame will allow him to box out like Bryant at 6'4.
Where do people even come up with these takes?

To be fair, Washington's skill set for getting deep balls transcends height and straight-line speed.   He is a long strider (and because of that, CB's often misread him, which allows him to get behind them), tracks the ball incredibly well, and has a very wide catch radius for a guy his size.   It's no lock his skills will translate to the NFL, but I would give pause to any doubters - it's not like PIT doesn't know how to ID these guys.  Their track record with Day 1-2 picks is very impressive.

The thing is, Bryant's potential is to be more than just a vertical threat - Washington's only difference-making skill set is being a lid-lifter, albeit in a very, very unconventional way.    Bryant offers much, much more than that.   He also offers a lot more headaches, but that's the reason why he was available in the first place.     

Washington's main role in PIT is to be the deep threat.  To call their games similar isn't accurate - but his role in PIT will fit what he does best.   Bryant has far more in his repertoire than just being a deep threat, though.  That's entirely fair.

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, Washington's skill set for getting deep balls transcends height and straight-line speed.   He is a long strider (and because of that, CB's often misread him, which allows him to get behind them), tracks the ball incredibly well, and has a very wide catch radius for a guy his size.   It's no lock his skills will translate to the NFL, but I would give pause to any doubters - it's not like PIT doesn't know how to ID these guys.  Their track record with Day 1-2 picks is very impressive.

The thing is, Bryant's potential is to be more than just a vertical threat - Washington's only difference-making skill set is being a lid-lifter, albeit in a very, very unconventional way.    Bryant offers much, much more than that.   He also offers a lot more headaches, but that's the reason why he was available in the first place.     

Washington's main role in PIT is to be the deep threat.  To call their games similar isn't accurate - but his role in PIT will fit what he does best.   Bryant has far more in his repertoire than just being a deep threat, though.  That's entirely fair.

3

I have no issue with James Washington as a receiver. But to call his skillset comparable to Bryant, or to call Bryant "expendable" is a joke. This has nothing to do with him being on our team. I would call this guy out regardless because what he's saying is outrageous.

I have no doubt Washington can be productive as a #3 for the Steelers, but Bryant is more than that. He was just shoved into that role as the odd man out on a team filled with talented pass-catching options, including Bell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×