Steelers trade Bryant to Raiders

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I have no issue with James Washington as a receiver. But to call his skillset comparable to Bryant, or to call Bryant "expendable" is a joke. This has nothing to do with him being on our team. I would call this guy out regardless because what he's saying is outrageous.

I have no doubt Washington can be productive as a #3 for the Steelers, but Bryant is more than that. He was just shoved into that role as the odd man out on a team filled with talented pass-catching options, including Bell.

That's fair, Bryant wasn't going to be kept on PIT beyond his rookie deal, certainly not with his risk profile and who PIT has (even when Bell leaves, having JuJu & AB makes paying for Bryant a no-go).  That was the reason he was dealt.

It's more accurate to say PIT could in theory replace the one skill set Bryant brought that others can't match with Washington - but he brings more than just that 1 skill set.   But yeah, Bryant and Washington aren't similar skill-wise, they just share the 1 skill PIT needs to have.

23 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You're kidding right? Being a deep threat in college is not even close to a guarantee that it'll translate to the league.

Yes, that 4.54 40 will definitely translate to 50+ yard touchdowns on NFL cornerbacks, the same way that 5'11 frame will allow him to box out like Bryant at 6'4.
Where do people even come up with these takes?

No pick is a guarantee in the NFL. but if we didn't wish to have a conversation or predict anything we wouldn't have this forum.

It's my take. 

It stinks to lose Bryant. I think he's got elite potential. He just always seemed to be almost there. He's a worker for sure. He'll probably light it up(hopefully just on the field) with the Raiders. 

Also, to weigh in on the debate going on above. Bryant never really developed into a good redzone target. He's tall but he didn't really fight for the ball. He was a home run guy with fairly shaky hands. He's got the skills to be an all around threat but he never put them together for us. I hope he does for the Raiders. I wish him the best. 

On 5/10/2018 at 3:29 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I have no issue with James Washington as a receiver. But to call his skillset comparable to Bryant, or to call Bryant "expendable" is a joke. This has nothing to do with him being on our team. I would call this guy out regardless because what he's saying is outrageous.

I have no doubt Washington can be productive as a #3 for the Steelers, but Bryant is more than that. He was just shoved into that role as the odd man out on a team filled with talented pass-catching options, including Bell.

I've already stated I believe this was a very good trade for the Raiders, but Bryant was pretty expendable... Depending how you define expendable, I suppose. While dangerous, he was never consistent enough to become a featured part of the offense. Until Sammie Coates hurt his hand, he came in and basically did exactly what Bryant did for us. it wasn't just a case of him being an odd man out... And if it was, it was due to his own shortcomings, on and off the field.

And as stated, Bryant wasn't going to be here Beyond 2018.

Bryant wasn't expendable in so much as he didn't have much to offer as much as he wasn't a necessary piece of the offense, in large part due to the other Talent we have. And the new offense supposedly is going to feature tight ends more, so between that and the other talented pass-catchers we have... Bryant was expendable. I would have liked to have kept him, but I like the trade value we got for him... If only we had to use that draft pick more wisely...

6 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

No pick is a guarantee in the NFL. but if we didn't wish to have a conversation or predict anything we wouldn't have this forum.

It's my take. 

But show me something to substantiate this hot take... Where is the discussion? I don't see Washington having a similar skill set at all and you've said/done nothing to coroborate your perspective.

48 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

But show me something to substantiate this hot take... Where is the discussion? I don't see Washington having a similar skill set at all and you've said/done nothing to coroborate your perspective.

James Washington isn't going to completely replace every skillset Martavis Bryant brings with his speed/height. But you have to joking if you think WR's who have a kanck for the deep ball are dime a dozen. That doesn't just disappear when he enters the NFL, you guys have more than enough at WR to steer coverage away from Washington to make it work. Plus Washington has the best skill-set as far I know now over Bryant. Availability. 

Hopefully that is better than the crazy deep throws Bryant catches in your dreams where he isn't suspended.

You can vouch for Bryant all you want, but as a Dallas fan I know a thing to two about unlimited potential in players who never do **** on the field cause of suspensions.

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2018 at 5:55 PM, bucstopshere said:

LOL at this narrative. First of all Bryant was living in Vegas during his suspended year. I have a friend here that runs a CBD company and helped Martavis with his addiction issues. He’s already been clean a whole year now. I think it’s safe to say he’s learned his lesson. 

... I'm sorry, you were saying?

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Exactly. Don't want to hear that we're just using hindsight. This was clearly a bad move at the time it was made.

It was.  There's just no denying it; it was a 1 year 'rental' with tons of risk and that risk just blew up in their face.  They literally gave Pittsburgh a QB with future starter potential and we literally gave up nothing at the end of the day.

On 5/10/2018 at 3:29 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

First of all very little of what you just said is accurate. Brant was extremely expendable and he wasnt forced into anything, he put himself in the position he was in.  His potential was extremely high but his performance was less than stellar.  That doesn't mean he couldn't have developed into something more but from the information being reported in Pittsburgh, his work ethic left a bit to be desired.  If James Washington puts forth more effort than Bryant it's already an improvement.  Bryant could've been a great deep threat for Oakland, but at the end of the day, losing Bryant doesn't hurt us, at least not in some grand way.  The people around Bryant earned their roles, Bryant made mistakes that cost him the role that he was drafted into.  Now, it's potentially cost him his entire career.

Archived