Kolton Miller, OT UCLA -- Raiders' 1st Selection 15th Overall

Trojan

3 minutes ago, daineraider said:

He did “fairly” good against 2nd and 3rd round picks?  He is going to have to go against Miller, Chubb, Bosa, Houston etc.  I really hope he develops quickly as we will need him to play well and soon.  

Keep in mind we brought back Lee Smith who is the best blocking TE in the league, as well as the Dallas FB being good to iirc. Gruden is too smart to leave a raw rookie on an island by himself against those all-pros.

23 minutes ago, daineraider said:

He did “fairly” good against 2nd and 3rd round picks?  He is going to have to go against Miller, Chubb, Bosa, Houston etc.  I really hope he develops quickly as we will need him to play well and soon.  

Yeah seriously.  Like, I get trying to be positive......but I can't really. Hopefully he ends up being a beast.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Keep in mind we brought back Lee Smith who is the best blocking TE in the league, as well as the Dallas FB being good to iirc. Gruden is too smart to leave a raw rookie on an island by himself against those all-pros.

Yeah, I’m mostly referring to us reaching for him based on need and not going BPA. I get the need for OL, but I don’t like drafting one just to draft one.  I get that he wasn’t going to be there in the 2nd, but we still needed to take a 1st round talent at 15 and imo, Miller isn’t a top 15 talent.  I hope he proves me wrong, but I felt like we overdrafted based on need.

1 hour ago, daineraider said:

Yeah, I’m mostly referring to us reaching for him based on need and not going BPA. I get the need for OL, but I don’t like drafting one just to draft one.  I get that he wasn’t going to be there in the 2nd, but we still needed to take a 1st round talent at 15 and imo, Miller isn’t a top 15 talent.  I hope he proves me wrong, but I felt like we overdrafted based on need.

I don't think there's any question about our drafting for need. I started to get that feeling in the build up to the draft as Gruden kept referring to specific positions that we needed to address. He didn't disguise it at all.

With that said, I actually quite like the outcome of that approach when looked at the whole project. We can argue about each individual player, and I certainly feel the same way about Miller, but I think there is a very positive net result from the collective approach of our FO to improve specific areas of the team. I imagine that Gruden was fairly single minded about that, like he said from the offset that he wants deoth and athleticism to run a different system for the oline and more pass rush from up the middle and edge on D to suit Guenther's system and that then he, his coaches, Reggie and his scouts went about trying to improve those areas. 

7 hours ago, daineraider said:

He only gave up one pressure by my count and routinely worked Green in the run game. I view him as a player who will get the job done in the pass game. It might not always be pretty, but he'll get the job done.

The run game is where he can really shine. I'm going to do an in-depth prospect profile on him, but I think he can do some Lane Johnson-type things as a pulling tackle in the run game.

I view him as a starting right tackle from day one -- partially because the current right tackles on the roster are completely terrible.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 2

Thought this was interesting:

The physical gifts Miller has are easy to see as they put him in an exclusive category. At 6’9”, 310 pounds, Miller bench pressed 225 24 times, ran a 4.95 40 and a 7.33 3-cone drill along with leaping 31 inches vertically leap and 121 inches horizontally. 

Only seven tackles from 6’6”-6’9”, 300-325 pounds, running a 40 under 5-flat with a 3-cone drill under eight seconds, a vertical leap of 26 inches or over, a broad jump of 100 inches or more and benched 225 at least 24 times were drafted in the first round since 2008. And all seven of those men have been named to at least one Pro Bowl or went as an alternate.

Joe ThomasJoe StaleyLane JohnsonMatt Kalil as a rookie before his injury, Taylor LewanNate Solder and Jack Conklin are on that list of freak athletes that Miller wants to be on. One’s math doesn’t have to be good to know that’s 100 percent. Meanwhile, only 11 of the 43 (26%) of tackles drafted in the first round since 2008 have been named to a Pro Bowl.

Kinda interesting. Probably won't mean a great deal, but a fairly siz able difference in succes rates between those with and those without the specific measurables.

I (like I suppose many who weren't too enamoured with the pick) have been trawling to find anything positive about Miller. You gotta grasp dem straws!

Edited by reddevil
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Thought this was interesting:

Kinda interesting. Probably won't mean a great deal, but a fairly siz able difference in succes rates between those with and those without the specific measurables.

I (like I suppose many who weren't too enamoured with the pick) have been trawling to find anything positive about Miller. You gotta grasp dem straws!

At least you're keeping an open mind and trying. Some on here won't.

What do you make of these stats?

Kolton Miller:

He allowed 2 sacks and 16 total hurries on 579 pass snaps last season. Which is 1 hurry a game at 36 pass snaps.

Brandon Parker:

FCS Level: 48 starts, NO sack allowed and only 2 QB hurries and 7 penalties.

Senior bowl 1-on-1's: 7 hurries in 23 pass snaps

On 4/30/2018 at 3:16 AM, Rich7sena said:

He only gave up one pressure by my count and routinely worked Green in the run game. I view him as a player who will get the job done in the pass game. It might not always be pretty, but he'll get the job done.

The run game is where he can really shine. I'm going to do an in-depth prospect profile on him, but I think he can do some Lane Johnson-type things as a pulling tackle in the run game.

I view him as a starting right tackle from day one -- partially because the current right tackles on the roster are completely terrible.

Just don’t watch the Texas AM game.

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

He’s gotta start day 1 imo and at lt

Why? I would prefer Miller start at RT if Penn is healthy. If Penn isn't or cut, then I can see him being LT right away. There is no rush to throw him to the wolves, especially how he isn't seen as a pro-ready LT yet.

19 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Why? I would prefer Miller start at RT if Penn is healthy. If Penn isn't or cut, then I can see him being LT right away. There is no rush to throw him to the wolves, especially how he isn't seen as a pro-ready LT yet.

Meh you don’t draft a guy at 15 to be a back up imo and I don’t like to move lineman with questionable technique to another side. plus with penn nursing a injury with extra drama on the side Kolton should get all reps at lt and make penn expendable. Carpe diem lets go kolt seavers 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh you don’t draft a guy at 15 to be a back up imo and I don’t like to move lineman with questionable technique to another side. plus with penn nursing a injury with extra drama on the side Kolton should get all reps at lt and make penn expendable. 

Of course you don't but if he isnt the best option (i.e. why he said IF Penn is healthy and fully back) then you go with the best 5. I get wanting to see value from high picks but you also have to be practical and not force it.

Just now, NightTrainLane said:

Of course you don't but if he isnt the best option (i.e. why he said IF Penn is healthy and fully back) then you go with the best 5. I get wanting to see value from high picks but you also have to be practical and not force it.

With penn out does kolt seavers take rep at lt or rt? Iyo obviously